M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

DVD Nav Install Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ML 320
Question DVD Nav Install Question

I've installed everything on my 2000 ML 320 and the DVD navigation is up and running. The only thing is that it's not picking up any satellites. I sat in the Home depot parking lot for like 20 minutes and nothing.

I plugged the cable from the back of the MCS into the "GPS" slot in the splitter/amp and then I plugged the other cable (prewired from the antenna) into the "Antenna" slot in the splitter/amp. I assume this is not the problem but have I reversed the setup of these cables?

It was a cloudy day (rain and stuff with some sunshine peaking through). Does that have anything to do with it?

Should I try it on a clear night perhaps?

Any suggestions?

thanks for everyone's help!
Old 08-09-2003, 11:23 PM

2000 ML 320
I just tried to switch the two cables (antenna to the GPS slot and vice versa) and still not satellite pickup.

Also, I went out tonight (no clouds in sky) and tried to see if the navigation would pick up satellites but nope. It still shows I'm in California (I'm actually in Chicago).

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

thx!
Old 08-10-2003, 02:50 AM

ML 320
NAV

What you described sounds like an antenna problem. Double check your antenna connections and make sure you are using the correct model #
It should be plugged in as the below picture shows.
Splitter/Amp
Antenna cable was pre-wired from the factory from the back of the Radio/MCS unit, to the roof located on the back/top of the ML. This cable gets connected to the splitter/amp (behind the MCS) and the small cable goes to the back of the MCS unit.
Old 08-14-2003, 10:38 AM

2000 ML 320
Thanks for everyone's help! All I had was a dud antenna. I replaced it with a new one from the local benz dealer and it picked up the satellite instantly (about 30 seconds).

This install was SUPER easy. Thanks to Benza for his awesome directions.

Oh, for those of you looking to install on a 2000 or later ML...you don't need the Euro parts and just have to follow Benza's directions up to the VSS install part.

VSS installation is not necessary on 2000 or later MLs so the process only took me 20 minutes or so.

DVD Navigation ROCKS!