M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Door Lock Issues!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 Mercedes-Benz ML320
Exclamation Door Lock Issues!

Okay, everyone- as you know I have a 1998 ML320

When I bought the car, it had the issue of "machine-gun door locks," but I figured it was just an actuator problem that I could fix or have fixed for cheapish (around $300).

Since then, the issues have changed and/or worsened.

At first:
-The drivers door would not lock (the lock post wouldn't budge), and the lock would just make the clicking sound for about 5 seconds whenever the lock or unlock button was pressed. It would open from both inside and outside.
-The front passenger door worked perfectly.
-The rear drivers door worked perfectly.
-The rear passenger door worked fine, but the lock had to be locked/unlocked manually.

A little later:
-The drivers door locked once, and then it was unable to be opened from the outside, and would remain in the lock position always. Still machine gunned, and worked fine from the inside.
-The passenger door continued to work perfectly.
-The rear drivers door lock sunk into the door about an inch, and would only open right after pushing the unlock button, but I would have to pull on the handle repeatedly while the front driver door machine gunned.
-The rear passenger door's lock post stopped moving, and remains unlocked at all times. It will still open from the outside and inside, but will not lock.

Now:
-The drivers door began working from the inside and outside, and would not lock. After a day, it will not open from the outside once again, but will still work from the inside and the lock post will not budge.
-The passenger door will not open from the outside, and the lock post will not move at all. Will still open from the inside fine.
-The rear drivers door remains the same.
-The rear passenger door remains the same.

HELP!

I now have to climb in the rear doors, reach in and open the drivers door from the inside in order to get in!

I looked up other forums, etc. on door lock issues and other door issues and they had directions on how to reset/deactivate/activate the central locking system, but I had no luck and didn't see anything that indicated the process worked. The doors still automatically locked/unlocked as usual. Is there a certain way to do it for the 1998?

I want to have this fixed, but since the issue is so fickle and changing (working, not working, etc.), I want to get to know what it may be before I spend a bunch of money for someone to figure it out before I can even get it fixed.

What steps can I do to diagnose and/or fix these issues? Any diagrams and detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated!