M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2004 ML or not to ML at all?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-20-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goint to test drive the X5 again, from what I have been reading, seems people have no complaints about the X5, and the Toureg, I can't spend 50k on a VW, plus I despise VW! The X5 got a minor face lift for 2004, so if the quality control is better, will seriously think about the bimmer. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks!

The Beaver's
Old 08-20-2003, 06:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Re: Ml55

Originally posted by oaktree5
Hi

I have a 2001 ML 55 with 18,000 miles on the odometer. It is my daily driver. I primarily drive it to work, pick up the cleaning, go to the market, haul things for my wife etc, ---you get the picture.

It has never been into the dealer for any kind of repairs. This little truck is indestructable. I also use it to humble and distress kids driving muscle cars from one stop light to another and have never been beaten.

It is easy to park and easy to get into and get out of. It is a very nonfatiqueing car to drive. I would be very comfortable having my wife and kids ride around in it because it is so reliable.
Hey Oaktree5....I know you don't get alot of snow down there in Texas But thats something I unfortunately have to worry about!! I would love an ML55 but do they have good winter tires for it??

Hey Beaver.....my 1999 ML430 has been a tank!! Unstoppable!! I'm sure you don't have to worry about winter driving either...but this past winter was crappy up here in Connecticut...to say the least. The ML430 plowed through all the roads!! No sweat!!! No matter how bad they were!!! I almost can't wait until this winter begins so I can put her through the paces again!!!

Only thing I can think of is the radio. I dumped a little over $2K into a sweet system. Now the radio is bad@ss!!!

I have 40K miles on it so far, and nothing major has gone wrong!!

Good Luck!!
Old 08-20-2003, 06:30 PM

Thank you for the feedback

Naw, not much snow around these parts. Glad to hear a very happy customer story, I am not ruling the ML out, just doing my research.

Thanks for the feedback!

The Beaver's
Old 08-20-2003, 06:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C32 AMG
We have been going through much the same thought process - replacing our 2000 ML.

One thing no one else has mentioned, though - it is difficult to find an SUV with more rear seat room! I have been looking at the BMW and the Toureg as well, but they are pretty skimpy in the rear seat legroom department.

In fact, you have go to an Expedition to get more room.

I am quite interested in the LWB W164, but, like others, I am not sure about the initial model year - witness the troubles over in the W211 E-class group!

We did quite a bit of off-road in Montana again this year, and had absolutely no problems. I was a little nervous, though, since the nearest dealer is in Denver, more than 8 hours away!

Most of the other unibody SUVs are lacking in true off-road capability.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Check out this site for feedback on ML's

Warning - makes pretty depressing reading, but a few people has positive stuff to say about the ML.

Some satisfied owners will always say theirs has been perfect, usually followed by 'apart from xyz'.

Then they normally go onto say that only dissatisfied customers post whereas all the satisfied owners don't etc. Thus reading forums such as this gives a biased view.

However, if you want some warm and fuzzy feelings about the ML go visit benzworld.org - it's normally a real ML love fest !

Here's a link to the darkside of the ML...

http://www.carsurvey.org/model_Merce...z_M-Class.html
Old 08-25-2003, 02:24 PM

Test X5

Well we drove the X5 this past weekend, interior to me is still ugly, the wife has warmed to it a bit. The X5 suspension wise is noticeably different, (IMO) it handles better, and the shifting was incredibly smooth, we were very impressed. An excellent turning ratio, it is a very nice vehicle for our purposes. Were does this leave us???? Still not sure, we will wait to see whats new with the 2004 X5, and also see whats new with the 2005 ML, she drove both and at this point she is very torn between both vehicles, she said she feels more confident driving the ML, but really likes the X5, so just like most women, it is still a mystery.

Again, Thank You ALL for your feedback! It has helped us in many ways!

The Beaver's
Old 08-25-2003, 03:20 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
I have owned both. The X-5 was bullitproof. The suspension was built for handling and is very good on snow. I think I could go for 400 miles on a tank of gas. Although it didn't have the room in the back the rear seats folded down easily. Offroad it didn't do very well. No low range and the stiff suspension broke your back. I traded it for an E-55 which was quite the lemon and had to go back to an ML500 to get some kind of a deal. My new ML500 seams to be bullitproof. It much more plush than the the early ML's. The bigger tires make the truck a lot less floaty than the ML350's that I drove a as loaners. Wonderful DVD GPS. It handles ok and will go offroad. It has a 17 gallon tank(not 23) which only gives it a 250 plus range. The rear seats were designed by someone that drank too much Lowenbrow. There is no full size spare like the X-5. It needs a taller 5th gear since it runs at almost 3000 rpm at 80, which would give it a lot better gas milage

So we will see. I need something that will go offroad. The back will be filled jerry cans and full size spare.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Chip
The rear seats were designed by someone that drank too much Lowenbrow. There is no full size spare like the X-5.
LMAO!

We aren't looking at the 8, looking for SAFE vehicle with a bit of luxury, function, and mileage. We never go off-road, and rarely go in the snow. Also my understanding, at least here in screwed-up California, law requires full-size spare for off-road vehicles???

Thanks fo r the response! Especially since you have owned both!

The Beaver's
Old 08-26-2003, 05:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
It has a 17 gallon tank(not 23) which only gives it a 250 plus range. The back will be filled jerry cans and full size spare.
Did you special order it with a 17 gallon instead of the normal 22.6? Seriously though, why would you think your ML500 has a 17? That would be even less than the pre-'01 MLs, which had a 19-gallon tank IIRC.

The ML55 has a 40 gallon tank - thats why the spare is in the trunk

I think I could go 400 miles on a tank of gas.
Well which X5 model did you have? I've heard way too many X5 owners claiming that the gas mileage is a lot less than what BMW says, so unless you actually tested it, I doubt you'd get better mileage than a competing ML model.

Anyway, as always, both vehicle have their pros and cons. We've probably discussed this issue a million times in this forum, and it always comes down to personal preference - choose whichever car best suits your personal needs.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:30 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
Well I have run it well past to where the low fuel light comes on and it only takes 15 gallons. I'm not going to run it dry just to find out. I'll bring it up the next time it ats the shop. The X-5 got around 20 on the highway if I remember right.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:17 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML500
The MPG on the highway depends alot on the speed. My ML500 gets about 20-21 MPG at 50MPH, but is down to 18 MPG at 80.

Around town there is also a lot of variation depending on how many lights you have to stop at given that the acceleration stage only yields 7MPG.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:23 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML500
BTW, My ML500 manual says it has a 22 gallon tank and I put 19 gallons in it today. Why would Mercedes lie about teh tank capacity.

I would hate to have to fill the ML55's tank at todays prices... $80 for a fill up.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:30 PM

08 E320 Bluetec
Well all I know is that it won't take more than 15 and the gas gage chives with the range on the trip computer. I'll ask the service manager about it the next time it's in the shop.