M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML500 2003 MCS upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500 2003
ML500 2003 MCS upgrade?

ML500 2003
Bose system
Nav system

Has anyone done a Radio upgrade? I have read several blogs and post some say I can keep speakers others express that I lose everything.

I am looking to replace with either Pioneer or Kenwood units with Bluetooth, Nav and etc.

Is the Bose Amp and Sub all in one unit? What are the dimensions for this unit. Can I fit a 5ch amp and 8-10"in sub in the same space?

Do I have to rewire the whole system? I am trying to keep as much of the original system as I can.

Also can I use the current GPS antenna wire to new HU?
Old 02-12-2013, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 S600 Designo, 03 SL500, 03 ML500, 2016 E400
Has anyone done a Radio upgrade?
- Yes, I just upgraded my 03 ml500's audio system

I have read several blogs and post some say I can keep speakers others express that I lose everything.
- Yes you can keep the speakers if you're just upgrading the head unit, but I think you will lose the amp and sub.

I am looking to replace with either Pioneer or Kenwood units with Bluetooth, Nav and etc.
- I got a Kenwood and am not happy with it - it has glitches, freezes, restarts randomly.

Is the Bose Amp and Sub all in one unit? What are the dimensions for this unit. Can I fit a 5ch amp and 8-10"in sub in the same space?
-No the amp and sub are completely seperate. The sub is under the drivers seat and has an extremly slim profile. You will never be able to replace it with any 8 or 10" sub. It's also a very weak amp and will need replaced if you're replacing the sub. I put my new amp were the sub was under the seat, and then put the sub in the back.

Do I have to rewire the whole system? I am trying to keep as much of the original system as I can.
-If you only replace the head unit then you don't have rewire everything.

Also can I use the current GPS antenna wire to new HU?
- No, but you'r new HU should come with an antenna.
Attached Thumbnails ML500 2003 MCS upgrade?-amp.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 03:14 PM

ML500 2003
TY!!

Thanks for the reply answered some of my questions.

I guess I will be replacing the following...

HU
Amp.

If I go this route can I still keep the sub or will I need to replace it?
Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 S600 Designo, 03 SL500, 03 ML500, 2016 E400
The amp and sub are pretty much a married couple and you have to replace them both together.
Are you trying to get your speakers louder, or do you want more bass?
The stock amp already puts out close to the max watts the stock sub and speakers are capable of handling, so even if you could figure out a way to just upgrade the amp it's not going to make your system much louder without distorting the sound.

There are basically only 2 options that make economical sense:
1. Only replace the headunit - but then you will lose functionality of your sub, although an audio professional may be able to find a way to wire it up - a call to a audio shop could confirm whether this is possible (look on yelp for one with high ratings)
2. Replace everything - This is the route I went and was very expensive, but it's the only way you're going to get a real increase in sound. The bose system is a very clean sounding system, but just doesn't get loud.

I spent about $4,000 upgrading my audio system, but got all top of the line equipment. I imagine you could have everything replaced for as little as $2,000.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM

ML500 2003
Still confused?

I went to a Shop in San Juan area and asked the owner what can be done. He mentioned that with a wiring harness for MB ML series he can upgrade my stereo system and keep AMP/Sub and everything else. The only thing I would lose was CD changer.

I have read almost everything from everywhere and I know I lose more than that. I requested he let me know what harness and was reluctant to let me know which one is was. Any thoughts on this.

I am looking at replacing HU/AMP/sub.