M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Crazy transmission issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 e55
Crazy transmission issue

Just an FYI in case you guys are using after market trans filter kits.
I had an issue with my tranny not upshifting quickly and solidly. I thought it was just my trans getting old. Then the other day I'm driving and boom I loose all gears foward and reverse. Fearing the worst case I tow it to my indie. Waiting for the $3500 phone call, I was "pleasantly" surprised to find he opened the pan to find my filter had popped off dropped to the bottom of the pan. Trans was unable to suck enough fluid to engage the trans.
I used a Meisterstatz filter kit when DIY changing my fluid a couple of months ago. I guess the diameter of the pick up tube on the filter or the o ring supplied is a pube less than necessary to hold the press in filter on.
Indie says he only uses MB filters for all his services. So 450 bucks for his full fluid and filter service that includes a new electrical connector (leak often) when he does it and it's shifting sweet again.
135K and kicking I hope it goes to 200K!

Also had him replace my Fuel filter as I could not get the fittings off. I will post pics on another post.