M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ABS Pump removal questions.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320, Outback
ABS Pump removal questions.

We have a 2000 ml320 and the abs/ets/(other) lights on. After using our google-fu, we found an excellent post here about removing the module and shipping it to be repaired. Was easy to do, the circuit solutions in Idaho was awesome and very nice. They repaired bad solder but that did not fix the issue. We *may* have to pull the pump and have them work on that.

I cannot for the life of me find a guide on how to do this. There is a very basic guide on their site, but it's very simplistic and not detailed enough. It does mention attaching to the front/rear calipers and draining brake fluid....is that really necessary? Any help would be AWESOME!

Thanks in advance, Michael.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Michael, there are countless reasons why these lights would be on, and each reason has a code assigned to it.

The codes must be read from the Traction/ESP control module. This has to b done with a scanner that is capable of reading these codes. See post #6 for list of codes.

https://mbworld.org/forums/5644593-post6.html

There is nothing wrong with the module or the ABS Hydraulic unit, just have the codes read.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM

ML320, Outback
I was going for brevity...When we called around and found the cost to be 2500 bucks, we took it to an independent dealer (great shop) and they pulled the codes, they said they verified there was no functionality in the pump with direct power applied. They didn't get too much more specific than that. Not knowing if the pump was bad, or the module was failing to tell the pump to operate (they didn't say that removed the pump and tried...I don't know if the module still being attached would prevent a functional pump from working) we decided to send the module it, it came back and they re-soldered the (known) ****ty soldering.

This vehicle was a good(ish) deal at the right time (needed bigger, safe car for a baby on the way) and I do not love it. I, in fact, hate it. I hate that *******s come into my driveway or work parking lot and salvage parts from it (the little plastic tabs that are almost 200 bucks because they're mecedes and painted, the sprayer nozzle on the back) I live and work in a good part of town...anyway, didn't mean to rant...I just want the damn abs lights out so that I can sell this pos and be done with luxury cars, lol. Again...a friend sold us this for kbb value so while we haven't gotten our money out of it, we did get a good deal in a time of need.

Thanks, i'm gonna go to the shop and get a printout (if they still have it) and use your handy link to list it here.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Fashion a 6" piece of 18 ga. wire with spade terminals attached. Spade terminals must be as wide as the slots on the fuse/relay box.

Remove relay K25 and bridge slots 30 & 87. If the ABS pump motor runs then your problem lies elsewhere.

If it doesn't then the brushes in the ABS pump motor are worn out.

Post back with results.
Attached Thumbnails ABS Pump removal questions.-k25-relay.jpg   ABS Pump removal questions.-2013-06-07_205005.jpg  
Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 PM

ML430 E320 S500
Can you be more specific as to the lights you have on and the circumstances they occurred and the codes you got at the shop and what kind of on board diagnosis device they use to identified the problem, before you take your whole car apart and replace every good part you still have...