M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

A/C and Windows Fail, HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML 320
A/C and Windows Fail, HELP!

Hi all. Newb here, thanks for your patience. I bought a 1999 ML 320 w/ 175k miles a few months ago and she seems to run fine. The only problem I have run into is that A/C started cutting out on me. Checked coolant and it was good. My 4 year old noticed the 2 fans up front weren't turning on so I figured it was electrical. When I jostled the relay the fans would kick on and it would run fine for a couple days, then it would cut off again... and I would fiddle with the relay again and on it would come. I figured it was the relay so I replaced it with a MB part, it worked for a couple days, then it started cutting out again. To see if it was a defective relay, I swapped it with the relay for the windows, and NOW, NONE of the windows work. The AC ran cold for 10 - 12 days (with the windows not working), and now neither of them are working. No A/C, no windows + August = angry wife. My thought is something is burning out the relays. Does anyone have any insight as to what's going on? I know it's electrical but to have multiple systems fail seems confounding. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by msrowell; 08-28-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 08-30-2013, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
You could be having an issue with the fuse box itself.

Remove the fan relay and inspect the contacts inside the slots. They must be bright silver. If they are not the you must try and clean them with a piece of sandpaper inserted into the slot.

Do not stick anything else into the slot or it will widen the gap.
Attached Thumbnails A/C and Windows Fail, HELP!-relay-contacts.jpg