M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Skyview (lamella) Roof not working

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C300 4-MATIC Sport, 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d
Question Skyview (lamella) Roof not working

I have 2000 ML430 with Skyview Roof (lamella roof) that doesn't work.
I read allot on forums about the problems with this kind of roofs and the only advise is - just to leave it alone due to prohibitive cost of fixing it.
Well I would like to fix mine by myself.
So I took apart the rear lighting panel and exposed both motors.
When the roof button is pushed to “open” position the motor #2 on the right side (passenger’s side) is completely quiet, no any movement.
When the button is pushed to “close” position the motor #1 (on driver’s side) seems to work, it makes crackling noise (since the roof is closed) and tries to rotate.
I dismantled and took apart the motor #2. Took the electronics out and gave 12Volts directly to the motor’s terminals. Motor itself works fine.
Then I’ve plugged the motor’s connector in to the electronic circuit board of this motor (separate from the motor) and tested whether it gives 12 Volts at the output terminals. No any voltage.
I’ve unplugged the electronic circuit board and tested the voltage at the harness connector side. Judging by the information on the motor’s sticker the leg 2 is (+) and leg 3 is (-).
No 12 Volts between these legs.

Does anyone have the electric diagram for the motor#2 and its connector?
I wonder which 2 legs out of 6 should give out 12 Volts.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 430
I sent you a private message
Old 09-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML 430 Mercedes
Big Moo

Hi I have a ML 430, 2001 with the lamella roof, the linkages broke and I replaced them all when closing the roof it seems the last panel to the rear does not have any down pressure and I can lift it up with my fingers, did I miss a step??? Also when finished installing all panels I am about a 1/4 inch shorter than where the panels use to stop at back, when screwing them in place I did put them snug to each other, or is there a step in allowing the roof to stop a 1/4 inch back from front?