M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

1999 ML430 lost only key dealer wants $350???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 ml320
He again everybody...I probably should have given the info on the locksmith in so cal in my first post, but here 'tis. His name is Ray, and it's Wolf Creek Lock and Key @760-699-4080 I know he has flown to Hawaii to make keys for the keyless, and his entire shop is mobile in a van; he specializes in these hard-to-do things... And yes, he also needs to hook his computer and the key reader/programmer up to the OBD port to program the keys, but he does really good work, and is *gasp!* very ethical...
Old 12-14-2013, 05:17 PM

98 ml320
Hey Benzbias, just be careful with junkyards if they already have the stuff pulled out of the car - its hard to be sure the keys they have actually go to that aam, etc. If it's all in the car, and the key turns the ignition, its a pretty good bet.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:51 PM

CL550 & CL55 AMG
?
Old 12-14-2013, 08:41 PM

1998 Ml 320, 1980 300sd
Originally Posted by beartracker21
He again everybody...I probably should have given the info on the locksmith in so cal in my first post, but here 'tis. His name is Ray, and it's Wolf Creek Lock and Key @760-699-4080 I know he has flown to Hawaii to make keys for the keyless, and his entire shop is mobile in a van; he specializes in these hard-to-do things... And yes, he also needs to hook his computer and the key reader/programmer up to the OBD port to program the keys, but he does really good work, and is *gasp!* very ethical...
Thanks for the Info, especially the ethical reference it seems the economic strain we are living under causes an ethical ambiguity in every line of work including mechanics. I'll call this week and will definitely watch out for the junkyard stuff ( I believe you meant that warning for me and not Benzbias :-) )
Old 12-25-2013, 12:38 PM

1998 Ml 320, 1980 300sd
Originally Posted by MBen

Thanks for the Info, especially the ethical reference it seems the economic strain we are living under causes an ethical ambiguity in every line of work including mechanics. I'll call this week and will definitely watch out for the junkyard stuff ( I believe you meant that warning for me and not Benzbias :-) )
Here is the update

I called and left a message but have not gotten a response from McNally. The number for Ray's somehow a lady answered and told me that it was the wrong number, I did not want to bother calling back. Anyways I've been searching different prices for the key set and found this one on eBay that I believe is at a reasonable price

item number: 281223116843
(hyperlink is not working)

Would I need to take it to an indie after I swap for mine in order to configure AAM,DAS and ECU with SDS or is it plug and play because both trucks are same MY?

Thanks and happy holidays.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 751 Likes on 699 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Here is the update

I called and left a message but have not gotten a response from McNally. The number for Ray's somehow a lady answered and told me that it was the wrong number, I did not want to bother calling back. Anyways I've been searching different prices for the key set and found this one on eBay that I believe is at a reasonable price

Would I need to take it to an indie after I swap for mine in order to configure AAM,DAS and ECU with SDS or is it plug and play because both trucks are same MY?

As long as the key, the ECU and the AAM are from the same exact1998-99 ML you should have no problem.

Replacing the ECM/ECU and the AAM are not difficult to change as they are contained in the underhood fuse/relay box.

With the key, remove your key blade from your existing remote/key. Then do the same for the donor key. What you want to wind up with is your key blade attached to the donor remote. There is a tiny roll pin that attaches the key blade to the body of the remote. Get the appropriate pin punch to do so. Don't screw things up.

Remember, you now have only one key again. You will not be able to have another key made from M/B because the vin# on your vehicle will not match the vin#'s that are embedded in the ECM and AAM. So guard it with your life or else you will have to do this all over again.

Remove and install the ECM and AAM with the battery disconnected. You will not have to bring it anywhere to be programmed if you do this correctly.

Last edited by Maj. Dundee; 12-25-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:06 PM

98 ml320
oops

Here is the update

Sorry I had a brain fart when I posted the phone number. The correct area code is 951, not 760... The entire number is 951-699-4080
Old 01-07-2014, 05:24 PM

1998 Ml 320, 1980 300sd
Thanks for the great input guys
I have finally received the ECU/AAM and will proceed to install this weekend. I will update any progress.

Bear, Don't worry everybody has them otherwise I wouldn't be going through this ordeal :-)
Old 01-11-2014, 11:45 AM

1998 Ml 320, 1980 300sd
Originally Posted by Maj. Dundee

As long as the key, the ECU and the AAM are from the same exact1998-99 ML you should have no problem.

Replacing the ECM/ECU and the AAM are not difficult to change as they are contained in the underhood fuse/relay box.

With the key, remove your key blade from your existing remote/key. Then do the same for the donor key. What you want to wind up with is your key blade attached to the donor remote. There is a tiny roll pin that attaches the key blade to the body of the remote. Get the appropriate pin punch to do so. Don't screw things up.

Remember, you now have only one key again. You will not be able to have another key made from M/B because the vin# on your vehicle will not match the vin#'s that are embedded in the ECM and AAM. So guard it with your life or else you will have to do this all over again.

Remove and install the ECM and AAM with the battery disconnected. You will not have to bring it anywhere to be programmed if you do this correctly.
Update,

I have finally installed the AAM and the ECU with the battery disconnected, changed the key blade to the matching key as explained above, put a brand new battery but the truck starts up and then stops. I do not see the red led blinking in any key position. Do i have to also change the RFID key ring reader on the ignition or does this mean the supplied AAM and ECU were not working?

BTW ( the ecu and aam perfectly match up in numbers).

Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 11:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Update,

I have finally installed the AAM and the ECU with the battery disconnected, changed the key blade to the matching key as explained above, put a brand new battery but the truck starts up and then stops. I do not see the red led blinking in any key position. Do i have to also change the RFID key ring reader on the ignition or does this mean the supplied AAM and ECU were not working?

BTW ( the ecu and aam perfectly match up in numbers).

Thanks

Are the key, AAM and ECU from the same exact vehicle? If they are then also change the ring.

How did you get these parts? Please explain thoroughly.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:28 AM

1998 Ml 320, 1980 300sd
Yes the key, AAM,ECU and immobilizer are from the same car ( as the seller confirms). I bought the whole set of parts from the same seller in eBay ( he claimed that the truck had transmission failure and he decided to part out). I was sent the ECU, ETS, steering column with ignition switch an immobilizer and the signal switch stalk I replaced ECU and could not get it to start. Afterwards, he sent the AAM and after everything is installed the truck starts and shuts off immediately.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Put the key in the ignition and turn it to pos.#2 and see that the LED blinks once. If it does then the key has been recognized.

If it doesn't, then there will be a code stored in the ECM for the key not being recognized because you attempted to start the truck with the donor ECM and your original AAM.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 ML430 lost only key dealer wants 0???-2014-01-25_165745.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 AM

1998 Ml 320, 1980 300sd
Hi,

I followed your instructions and the LED did not blink.
Does having this code means I have to start all over and get another donor
AAM,ECU, immobilizer and key?

Thanks
Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
Hi,

I followed your instructions and the LED did not blink.
Does having this code means I have to start all over and get another donor
AAM,ECU, immobilizer and key?

Thanks
Did you read my previous post that the codes will have to be read and erased?

With code P1570 stored in the ECM and/or code B1703 stored in the AAM, the truck will not start. These codes and any other code stored in both the ECM and AAM must read, documented and erased before you can go any further.

I understand that you are having a difficult time and you want your vehicle back, but you must read the information that is afforded you.

You must do one of three things:

1. DO NOT TAKE THIS TRUCK BACK TO THE DEALER. When they find out what you did, they will not help you and it will be a wasted of time and money.

2. first find a mechanic who has a professional grade scanner and ask him if he can read and erase codes from the ECM and the AAM. If so, have the truck towed to him and then instruct him to document (write down) every code that is stored in the ECM and then erase them. Then he must access the AAM and document each code stored and then erase them.

DO NOT TELL HIM THE CODES THAT I SUPPLIED YOU WITH. Let him tell you the codes that he found and erased so only you can compare. Do you understand?

3. the third option is to find someone you know that has a professional grade scanner and knows how to use it and he can do the same as above.
Attached Thumbnails 1999 ML430 lost only key dealer wants 0???-2014-01-27_035853.jpg   1999 ML430 lost only key dealer wants 0???-2014-01-27_041309.jpg   1999 ML430 lost only key dealer wants 0???-2014-01-27_041132.jpg  
Old 02-02-2014, 02:45 PM

ML 320 2002
spare keys for ml 320

Originally Posted by beartracker21
Hi guys. I am new to this forum but have been going through these key issues with my 98 ml320, and believe it or not I was able to go to an independent locksmith who has the hardware and software to make replacement keys. The problem was we only had one valet key, and all 8 aam slots were used up. He pulled the aam and a couple other parts from one that was being parted out, installed them in my car and suddenly I have the two chip keys that were with the car being parted out (he put the chips into after market keys he carries), and two more flip keys he made himself. He has made quite a few keys for dealers in our area who get a used car with only one key. I don't know where all you guys are, but this lock smith is in So Cal, but it he is doing this here there may be some in your neck of the woods...

Hello beartracker21,

You are heaven sent. I live in LA and I desperately need a spare keys for my car. Can you give more specific info where I could get the keys ?

Thanks a lot . .