M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

MB Canada Not Honoring MB US Service Bulletin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML320 Elegance
MB Canada Not Honoring MB US Service Bulletin

I contacted MB Canada regarding my 1999 ML320's harmonic balancer pulley which according to the information I learned through this website is part of a Service Bulletin P-SC-2005020003 Replacement of Harmonic Balancer.

My Chassis No.A143111 and the Harmonic Balancer currently installed on it has Part No. A112 035 00 00. These pertinent numbers do fall under the affected vehicles mentioned in the Service Bulletin.

MB Canada wrote me the following reply regarding my question on whether or not I can get the replacement of the Harmonic Balancer covered under the Service Bulletin:

"Please note that a review of our record shows that there is currently no service bulletin for the harmonic balancer that applies to your vehicle or any outstanding recalls. Service actions are country and VIN specific, as such the existence of the bulletin in the US would not necessary mean that one would be available in Canada."

I was also told by the Service Advisor in the MB dealer service center in Richmond, BC that the Service Bulletin is not a "recall" and has since "expired and no longer in effect".

Has anybody else had this experience with MB Canada? Is there any other recourse for me to get this replaced under the Service Bulletin? Any suggestions or assistance will be very much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 PM
DrX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
This ship sailed over 8 years ago. If your HB has been giving you trouble-free service for 14+ years, then it wasn't faulty and wouldn't have been replaced under the campaign anyway.

A service campaign is not the same as a recall. For the former, MB workshops check at-risk components when vehicles come in for service, and replace if necessary. For the latter, all owners are advised to come in for parts replacement.

If you never darken the doorstep of your MB dealer's workshop, you miss out on the benefits of these service campaigns. (But you save on paying MB tech labour rates, so you're still well ahead.)

http://www.mbca.org/forum/service-ca...alancer-pulley
Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 PM

1999 ML320 Elegance
Angry

Originally Posted by DrX
This ship sailed over 8 years ago. If your HB has been giving you trouble-free service for 14+ years, then it wasn't faulty and wouldn't have been replaced under the campaign anyway.

A service campaign is not the same as a recall. For the former, MB workshops check at-risk components when vehicles come in for service, and replace if necessary. For the latter, all owners are advised to come in for parts replacement.

If you never darken the doorstep of your MB dealer's workshop, you miss out on the benefits of these service campaigns. (But you save on paying MB tech labour rates, so you're still well ahead.)

http://www.mbca.org/forum/service-ca...alancer-pulley
Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately for me, I am the second owner and I bought the truck a few months ago. It only had 72,000 kms. (about 45,000 miles) mileage when I got it. The defective part probably did not break down or manifest its defect yet at that low mileage.

I knew the former owner and he showed me all his receipts for the regular service he had done on the vehicle at the MB dealership. He kept it very well maintained. Apparently, MB Canada never implemented the Service Bulletin here in Canada, because they never checked the harmonic balancer pulley on this vehicle.

Mercedes usually do not ever call it a "recall" but a "Service Bulletin", and I am sure they have reasons not to do so. It's a way out for them. This is my first Mercedes and I guess I am just disappointed that the pulley broke just like that at this low mileage. I have had cars and trucks from other car makers/brand, even entry level vehicles, that did not break that soon. Maybe I just have too much expectations from a Mercedes, and I am disappointed that Mercedes does not stand by their product, in this case.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 PM
DrX

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 ML320, 2003 A160
You're welcome. You know, it's not really about the km's - it's about the years, and the climate.

The part of the HB that goes bad is made of rubber, which is subject to perishing, and damage from contact with engine oil. Add in the temperature extremes in BC and this part is not going to last forever, even if it spends most of its time in a garage.

It's a Mercedes, and sometimes things break and cost $$$ to fix. 2.5 years ago I had a cat convertor go bad and got hit for AU$2100. You just have to accept it and enjoy driving your Merc. (Mine's run perfectly since then.)
Old 12-20-2013, 02:54 AM

1999 ML320 Elegance
Originally Posted by DrX
You're welcome. You know, it's not really about the km's - it's about the years, and the climate.

The part of the HB that goes bad is made of rubber, which is subject to perishing, and damage from contact with engine oil. Add in the temperature extremes in BC and this part is not going to last forever, even if it spends most of its time in a garage.

It's a Mercedes, and sometimes things break and cost $$$ to fix. 2.5 years ago I had a cat convertor go bad and got hit for AU$2100. You just have to accept it and enjoy driving your Merc. (Mine's run perfectly since then.)
Thank you, DrX. Sound advise.