M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

lamella roof almost works!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 430 year 2001
Question lamella roof almost works!

Hi, I'm new on here today, I have 2001 ml430 with the infamous lamella sunroof! I stopped using it over a year ago when it made an awful clicking noise when I tried to open it. So I left it and thought I'll sort that when I have a moment!
So here I am I removed the motors and carefully opened the roof by hand hard work! Once open I thoroughly cleaned guides etc and it had purely failed due to the build up of gunge and lack of maintenance( my fault). Fortunately there was nothing broken so once it was cleaned and oiled/ greased and free moving by hand I put back the motors. The roof will close now on the switch electrically but when I try to open it electrically there is absolutely nothing (motors don't operate when open position pressed) I tried the reset as per owners manual close roof and hold for further 15 secs but still nothing.
Is there something I can check to get the motors going both open and close.
Also I am aware there is the usual advice leave it shut. I am willing to risk using it again as one failure in 12 years of use isn't too bad and had I kept it all clean and lubed it would have probably still been ok. It is my favourite part of the car excerpt the v8 engine ( thank goodness for lpg!)
I need to drop the sunroof to reseal it as the seal has failed what sealant would you recommend using I am thinking maybe the same type as front windscreen is bonded in with as it is strong and weathertight?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 190E 2.6, ... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
Are there any limit switches that could be stuck or out of alignment as a result of your cleaning and re-lubing?
A thought?? Did you remove motor with roof Closed and replace motor with roof Open or the opposite? There could be limit switches in the motor or drive mechanism.

Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
ML320 W163 2000
Just wondering what lubrication you used for the slide channels? I've got the lamella skyroof on my 2000 ML320 - it still works okay, and I cleaned the channels out (and unblocked/re-connected the drain tubes...), but it needs lubricating before I use it again. Cheers.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:02 PM

ml 430 year 2001
Thanks for the reply Mike, I need to check the motors, one is a basic motor but the other does appear to have a module/electronic box on it and more cables in than the other motor so I presume as you said a limit switch of some sort or a unit that switches the motors direction of rotation. I will investigate further?

As regards the grease I just used some spray grease I had which is thin and not sticky not the correct Mercedes one, they sell a specific grease for it, but while I'm working on it anything was preferable to nothing.

Any ideas what sealant would work to seal the sunroof frame to the car ? The frame is bolted up onto the car from underneath so it needs to be good to nprevent future leaks.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:29 PM

ml 430 year 2001
Hi, I have been checking the motors, both work when button pressed to close but nothing when open is pressed. If I remove the circuit board from the motor(right side looking into rear of car) and leave it connected to the wiring and the left motor plugged in. Then try again the open and close button, the motor works in both directions but only for about a second.
Is there a way to check the circuit board for failure? Or is there a reset required possibly connection to star?
Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 190E 2.6, ... 1998 ML320, 2005 ML500SE
There must be something, either mechanical or electrical, that keeps both motors synchronized. Otherwise the left and right sides of the roof panels may not open together and jam. I don't think you can run only one motor and I think that electronic circuit board on the right motor is what keeps both motors synchronized.
I would start by closely examining the circuit board for burnt out components or burnt or open circuit on circuit board.

Mike

Last edited by Mike's ML; 03-26-2014 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 02:31 PM

Mercedes Ml w163
Lamella roof w163 for sale

Hello guys,
i have equiped lamella roof for sale with all parts for mecedes w163.
If you are interested for some parts or for the whole roof please write me
nikolai4yyy_1@abv.bg