M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Problems!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320
Problems!!

I just found out that I have a leak in the power steering, does anyone know what is that supposed to cost? also, my driver window is starting to switch of suddenly while the switch up is on.........what kind of a benz is this????? I am thinking of trading it for something else...................any ideas......

Any inputs on the following:
BMW325i, BMW 330i, c320.........perhaps X5??? any one has any of those cars and an ml and can tell me which he thinks is better.....i have an ml320 2000.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2003, 04:48 PM

1998 ML-320
Re: Problems!!

Originally posted by VTBenZO
I just found out that I have a leak in the power steering, does anyone know what is that supposed to cost? also, my driver window is starting to switch of suddenly while the switch up is on.........what kind of a benz is this????? I am thinking of trading it for something else...................any ideas......

Any inputs on the following:
BMW325i, BMW 330i, c320.........perhaps X5??? any one has any of those cars and an ml and can tell me which he thinks is better.....i have an ml320 2000.

Thanks
There was a recall or a service bulletin on the Power Steering clamps - did you take it in for that? It may be a simple fix. You may want to read this .

As to the window switch, the module is an easy replacement. On one of the sites (Ken Yee's?) there is an explanation of how to perform maintenance on your existing module. I just replaced mine (an easy DIY).

As to trading, the cars you listed are all fundamentally different from the ML. Do you want an SUV or not?

Last edited by UncAl; 12-01-2003 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:13 PM
Almost a Member!

ML320
Thanks a lot for the information, i will call the dealer tomorrow and see what he can do.........as for what i want, i think the ML is a great looking car, but it lacks reliability.........i just dont want to end up spending lots of money fixing stuff, and keep on going back and forth from and to the dealer (he is far from here)........but i can consider any other, i dont really need SUVs, but i prefer them, how many times have your ml failed on you?

and i also experience a humming sound comming from the dashboard or the cluster.................any ideas?

Thanks a lot
Old 12-02-2003, 10:07 AM

1998 ML-320
Problems? What problems?

Originally posted by VTBenZO
Thanks a lot for the information, i will call the dealer tomorrow and see what he can do.........as for what i want, i think the ML is a great looking car, but it lacks reliability.........i just dont want to end up spending lots of money fixing stuff, and keep on going back and forth from and to the dealer (he is far from here)........but i can consider any other, i dont really need SUVs, but i prefer them, how many times have your ml failed on you?

and i also experience a humming sound comming from the dashboard or the cluster.................any ideas?

Thanks a lot
My ML was purchased used 1/2001 with 42k miles. It was Starmarked, and all the service records came with it. At that time, the right rear door locking assembly and the Transfer Case Module had been replaced twice. All the other stuff appeared routine. During my 114k miles of ownership, I've been stranded twice. Once for a fried battery (fixed by MB Roadside Assistance), and the other for the fuel pump (towed to dealership). The fuel pump was incorrectly repaired, and had to be replaced again 2 months later. All other work was routine maintenance.

I think forums like this tend to bring out complaints more than compliments. Also, they are some ML design features that lend themselves to higher maintenance cost, such as the MAF sensor and brake pads/rotors. They are design choices, not design flaws.

Overall, my ML has been fine, and not at all unreliable. Its also the first vehicle I've modded (see list below).

I think a lot of problems others experience are more dealer-related than design-related. I don't go to the nearest dealer - I go to the one that has the best service department. I don't use non-dealer mechanics.

As to the humming - it could be a number of things (e.g. box fan going bad, ill-fitting plastic dash pieces, etc.). Try a search here and other forums for ideas - or reproduce the problem in front or your SA and let them handle it.

As to BMWs, check BMW forums, recalls, etc. for problems. Do your own research. I think MB products are more durable - thats why I've owned MB for 10 years. But, opinions vary.