M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Help Please with ML55 issue!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 ML55 180K Miles, 05 Jaguar X-Type S 29K Miles, 03 VW Eurovan 140 K Miles, 95 BMW K75RT 44 K Mile
Help Please with ML55 issue!!

I have been a member on the site as Speakerdude for years but for some reason I cannot recover my password so I created another account.

My ML55 now has 175K and is experiencing really weird issues. I have experienced the CPS symptoms and after the truck stalled in the middle of a really busy intersection in pouring down rain I had to have it flat bedded to my house. It rolled right off the trailer (backwards) and I parked it until this morning (4 days). While on the tow vehicle I engaged the parking brake, which I probably have used three times in 10 years. It released fine and the ML rolled right off. This morning I started it to pull out and turn around and it will not back up. The transmission shifts into reverse and I can feel it trying to go back but it is like the parking brake is still on. It will go forward, not back?????? When I first went forward it did kind of make a pop like the brakes were stuck. I attributed it to sitting after being wet. I did not want to force the issues and destroy something.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated as I am really getting frustrated with this thing. In the last year I have had to do ball joints, control arms, both rear door cables, inner and outer tie rods, rebuild the ABS electric motor, right rear caliper, repair the sunroof closing, etc. Hopefully the hot stall is the CPS, now this.

Thanks in advance, you guys have enabled me to keep the truck this long.

Steve
Old 08-11-2014, 10:02 AM

01 ML55 180K Miles, 05 Jaguar X-Type S 29K Miles, 03 VW Eurovan 140 K Miles, 95 BMW K75RT 44 K Mile
Just got ready to do the CPS, anybody have a two year old with really long strong fingers they can lend me so that the thing can be reached? It amazes me just how difficult things are to get to on this truck. I had to replace the AC / Heat motor flap in the dash last winter and to do it was a real PITA. I actually invented new words to scream and had to let my skinned hands heal for a week. Oh yeah, another wonderful job was getting to the plastic T fitting for the EVAP which is located on top of the gas tank w/ no access from above so that I could pass emissions for renewal plates. The dealer here did a smoke test and told me that the tank was cracked on top and it would be $3500-$4000. It took me a day and a half to drop the tanks to install a $5 fitting.

I have seriously considered parting the whole thing out as it is worth maybe $5,000 running. It is actually in amazing cosmetic condition and runs great, it is the other stuff that is killing me. I should have never sold my 00 Range Rover, it was a lot more reliable!!!
Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
On an 8 cyl. ML you have to remove the L/F wheel and the fender liner to replace the CKP.

As for the brake issue, you should remove both rotors and see if the parking brake shoes disengaged from the backing plate.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the reply. The CPS was definitely the culprit, or so it appears. It never did throw a code but replacing it seems to have solved the problem. The rear R p-brake was stuck. Gently applying a BFH (large hammer) in a spirited manner to the hub seems to have corrected it well enough to at least move the thing around w/ no dragging feel or noises. That will be my next repair job.