M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Rear Quarter Window Tip/Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 ML500 4JGBB75E56A053890
Rear Quarter Window Tip/Fix

Hi all,

I have a tip for a cheap fix if you have had a problem with your back Quarter Widows coming loose from the closer actuator.

I had the little 'mushroom head' nut that holds the glass to the actuator fall of while driving and closing the window. At first I didn't know what happened when closing the window and it made a funny clicking/grinding noise, but when I got out of the truck walking to the back of the truck closing the door, I notice the Quarter Window pop open with the pressure of the door closing. Upon further inspection is when I notice that the 'mushroom head' nut was missing and nothing was holding the glass to the actuator shaft.

Calling the dealer I determined that I needed the Adjuster Kit, Quarter Glass part number 163 672 00 01. They informed me that this would set me back about $115! Yeah, right! The Adjuster Kit contains 6 little pieces of which I only needed one! A little more research I found that the this kit is available from about $52 on the internet. Still way too much for this one little 'mushroom headed' nut!

So here's the tip/fix for this for a whopping $5! I went to LOWES and bought 3 little bags of parts: 1) Flat Philips MS Stainless 10-32X1/2 Screw - pcs 4, 2) T-Nut Pronged 10-32 - pcs 2, and 3) Screw Covers 1/4" Hinged Black - pcs 2.
First thing you have to do is preferably take a Dremel tool and cut off the prongs on the T-Nut. Then you have to trim the head of the T-Nut so that it will fit inside the Screw Cover. After that you need to trim the shaft of the T-Nut by about half to allow the T-Nut to be tightened down securely on the glass. It would be a good idea to put a dab of Loctite on the 10-32 screw when assembling to keep it from coming apart with all the vibrations of driving.

When your done, this looks almost as good as the OEM part. It isn't as flush of course, but you will have enough parts for doing both sides to match! So instead of shelling out $115 (or $230 for both sides) or even $52 on the internet, $5 will make a perfectly good fix, assuming you have all the other parts except for the nut that secures the glass to the actuator.

I hope this helps anyone that finds themselves in this same situation.
The following users liked this post:
luxlamf333 (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 G55, 2004 ML500
What a great fix!!! Don't want to get rid of my 2005 ML500 as its been good to me, but little things like this that can cost $100 here and there you start to think. This fix did great job of sealing and making the window work again. Thanks!!! Now to fix the rear auto ,lock mechanism...