M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Q's on Lowering ML320

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2002, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Q's on Lowering ML320

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to install rear springs on an ML320. Any tips or pointers before I try to attempt this on my own? I've changed springs on other cars, but never did one on an ML.
Also, while shopping for springs, I noticed two types of springs for our vehicles (flat and non-flat). Does anyone know what this means or how to tell one from the other?

Thanks,
Gene
Old 03-28-2002, 05:05 PM

Merceded ML 430
Lightbulb

Hi Gene.
I have a 99 ML 430 which I immediately looked into lowering when I got it. First of all, I would not recommend installing lowering springs on your own as this is a very difficult task!

I purchased some Lorinzer springs for the rear and had some adjustments done to the front "torsion" bars. This achieved a nice balance and lowered it nicely for me. I have been happy with the outcome and the vehicle handles so much better.

I also had some 20" Brabus wheels put on. It looks great!

(Now if Mercedes could only fix their problems...I am afraid this may be my last Mercedes.)

I hope this helps,
Donna
Old 04-03-2002, 01:08 PM

M3 Cab
Originally posted by simotorsport

(Now if Mercedes could only fix their problems...I am afraid this may be my last Mercedes.)
to which mercedes problems are you referring? in general, and i repeat, in general, the only model that has had significantly startling un-mercedes-like quality issues is the w163.

ml28:

if i remember correctly car and driver ran an issue (1999?) that compared the ml55 with several other tuner ml's that had been supercharged/lowered/etc. i don't remember everything, but i think they came to the conclusion that lowering the m-class introduced undesirable handling characteristics.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:06 PM

Merceded ML 430
Mercedes issues

Well, let's see. This has been my second, brand new Mercedes and I have had so many problems with both vehicles.
But I will elaborate briefly on the ML;
The vehicle was not even ready for me to pick up at delivery because they had an "issue" with the suspension. I later found out that part of the suspension needed to be replaced, on this, a brand new vehicle.
Besides that, I have had so many problems with the ML that I forgot some offhand. I can tell you that just about every sensor had to be replaced as well as an exterior mirror and some guages.
The vehicle was in the shop so often that I looked into the lemon law but could not do anything about it since each problem was different and unrelated!
Old 04-03-2002, 08:59 PM

M3 Cab
what was the other merc you had issues with? i have heard some w203 owners complain about the panorama roof and a few bum w210's with general build issues but it sounds like you had a bad experience with two models in a row.
Old 04-04-2002, 05:18 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500
Hey oresama99, could you elaborate on the supercharging you talked about... do you remember what kind?
Old 04-04-2002, 05:58 PM

M3 Cab
i'll look for the article tonight when i get home. off the cuff, i think it was an eaton supercharger, but they didn't have the set up right. they supercharged an ml430 but it ended up being slower than stock. yeah, so i think they f'ed it up and didn't have it set correctly in time for the review. i'll check tonight.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:11 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500
Ive heard of kleemann and eaton supercharges, do you know of any others for the ML or if there are any custom jobs that have been done?
Old 04-04-2002, 10:08 PM

M3 Cab
yobusdis

i think i threw away all my old issues of C&D; my bad. as far as supercharging, i don't know of too many other systems, but from what i hear and read the kleeman system is the best out there. someone even rumored that AMG stole their kompressor design from kleeman, but still don't have as developed a product as kleeman. if i come across my old C&D's i'll let you know.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Almost a Member!

ML500
I looked at the Kleemann and its a lot of money. Thanx for your help.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:52 PM

Merceded ML 430
As far as what other Mercedes gave me grief;
I had a c280 when it first came out and I think I was the guinea pig for allowing Mercedes to work out the bugs.
Actually, when I think about it, it seems my personal experience involved most of the sensors on the vehicles went bad.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:42 PM

Yobusdis.

How can you say that Kleemann is a lot of money, compared to
what ????.

They give far more power than any serious compeditor, to much lower price.
Some not so serious companies comes out with a system cheaper ( and even more expencive ) they are not working.

So if you really is a " tuning customer", Kleemann have no competition out there.

Old 04-05-2002, 08:29 PM

M3 Cab
okay, let's say somebody picks up an ML430 for $46 grand. going by evosport's published prices to supercharge the ML would cost $14,350. that's more than 30% of the original sticker price. i think that is pretty expensive.

i'm not saying there are other better options out there. i think kleeman is the only way to go if you are thinking of supercharging your merc, but i think it is expensive in relation to the original sticker price of the car. if i were to keep my E for a couple of years i would seriously consider 'kleemanizing' it. *****, i'm thinking about it right now. but i still think it's pretty pricey.

how 'bout this: the median household income pre-tax in the US in year 2000 was $42,148. lessee, that 14grand supahchahgah don't look so cheap no more.

please, don't give me any of this, "if you drive a merc then you should be able to afford it". i'm just trying to give some perspective here. expensive is a purely subjective term.
Old 04-06-2002, 03:31 PM

Oresama99, I will not punk you......... but it can't be a surprice, that Merc tuning is for the few selected.

Install a Kleemann SC on a ML 500 = 500 HP = US$ 60.000,00, what car will you compare that to ?????.

I pretty sure no other SUV out there will even come close to a 500
hp ML, so we are in a market where price not is the question, it's
performance, exclusivity and image we are talking about.

If somebody do not have the money, too bad for them.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:47 AM

ML430
Aren't we suppose to talk about lowering the ML?

Actually, I want to lower my ML but just don't know how... And not sure how's it gonna be to put two lowered springs at the back and to adjust the torsion bar at the front....

Any information will be highly appreciated ! THANKS.
Old 04-10-2002, 01:40 PM

Merceded ML 430
Hey there in L.A.
May I suggest you visit some high performance stores near you?
It was cheaper for me to lower my ML at one of these places because they gave me a break on the whole package rather than bringing them my springs so they could do the labor. The labor cost runs up there.

There were no suitable springs at the time for me to have the front lowered. I was told I could not so they adjusted the torsion bars.

I have been very happy with the results and did it not only for the increased performance, but for the looks. A vehicle looks so much better with larger rims and lower profile tires if it is lowered.

I know a great place in San Gabriel, CA for motorsport stuff. But I am not positive if they do retail.

Let me know if I can assist in any way. See a girl can enjoy this too!
Old 04-10-2002, 05:08 PM

ML430
Please do let me know where to have it done...

I went to a couple of places, they all suggest me to change the shocks and springs (Bilstein & H&R ) for about 800 !!!!
If you know a place where I can get it done cheaper or just have two lowered springs at the back and adjust the torsion bar at the front. PLease let me know. THANK YOU FOR YOU TIME.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:42 PM

Merceded ML 430
There is a place I do business with in CA called DAZZ Motorsport. I have a wholesale account with them for my business so I am not sure if they will sell to you ( plus they recently changed ownership). It could not hurt to ask though. Their telephone number is 818-309-1718.

I live in NY so I had it done at a place in New Jersey called Action Tire. I have not dealt with them for a few years but I have their number listed as 201-473-2211. Maybe you can order some Lorinzer springs from them and have it installed near you? They charged me $500 total for everything.

If you still have further difficulty, let me know. I do not deal with springs but I may be able to get them and ship it to you.

Donna
Old 04-10-2002, 05:55 PM

Carlsson ML 430

Why don't you call EVOsports, the are in Orange County, thats closer than NY.

If you not can find them at this page try www.kleemannusa.com
Old 04-10-2002, 06:13 PM

ML430
i KNOW EVOSPORTS.....

i called them couple of times for the supersprint and eisenmann quad exaust system, but they don't carry those
I'll ask them for the lowering issue. Thanks for reminding me.

And Donna, thank you so much for your help. I'll call them up and keep you updated. BTW, do you have pictures of your ML?? If you don't mind to share. :P

I'll post up mine when I get the digital camera.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:13 PM

Merceded ML 430
I will do my best to post a picture or two of my ML.

I actually have a digital camera but I have never done anything online with it yet.

But I realize that there are some enthusiasts who would like to see it so I must now make this a future project! The pictures are coming soon...

Keep me posted L.A.
Old 04-11-2002, 05:16 PM

ML430
Thanks Donna, BTW my name is Jason.
I wonder who would want to buy the rims from my ML430.
Tire's still new. it's 275/55/17.
Trying to get rid of it since it's sitting doing nothing in the garage.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:36 PM

Merceded ML 430
Hi Jason, so good to put a name to your words.
Selling OEM equipment is always tough. Most people do not want to put original equipment on their vehicles. Your best bet might be trying a local motorsport/wheel shop or placing a local classified. Local is important since it costs a lot to ship wheels across country.
Or you could just hang on to them for slipping back on when you sell the vehicle. It is so much easier to sell aftermarket rims, with or without tires.
What kind of wheels did you get by the way?

Regards, Donna
Old 04-12-2002, 03:30 PM

ML430
Donna,

I have Carlsson 1/6 EVO with Scorpion zero. 285/45/19.
Very nice handling and the ride is awesome.
I was going to get the Brabus IV 295/40/20 but I figured it's going to be harsh, comfort is what I do not wish to compromise. PLUS Carlsson makes awesome rims. Anyway. ...how about you Donna? What kinda rims do you have on your ML? Do you have the exaust system on too?

Regards, Jason
Old 04-14-2002, 12:10 AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I wanted to give ebveryone an update on my lowering saga. I ended up ordering H&R springs from The Tirerack (Luke was extremely helpful even when the wrong springs showed uop at my door; he addressed the situation promptly). I also ordered Bilstein shocks from Shox.com (another good transaction). I installed the front shocks myself (pretty straightforward) and after looking into the rear, I decided to let my friends at D2 in Alhambra, CA take care of the rest of the installation (springs, reear shocks, and turning down the front torsion bars). When alll was said and done, I ended up spending approximately $850 (not cheap), but the resulting ride was a night and day difference in the way the car handled. I'm gald it was money well-spent.

CarlssonML430- Are the wheels and tires still for sale, I may be interested?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Q's on Lowering ML320