M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

01 ml430 vs rx300 help me decide...please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 ML320
The TV show "Motorweek" just had an episode where they talked about buying a used RX and listed the things to watch out for (like sludge in the crankcase). It was the episode where they tested the Ferrari Enzo. Maybe you can contact them and get a copy of the list.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Originally Posted by lee
These are photos of a 1998 ML 320 after a 3/4 rollover.
Do you have any more info on that accident? I have a feeling that's a whole lot more than a 3/4 rollover.

Especially if you see things like this (particularly the standard MB multi-side-roll test):

http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/Staying_Alive.avi

I've seen countless roll-over ML's with minimal damage - not nearly as much intrusion as in the incident you've shown photos of.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:55 PM

red bicycle
We used to have a 1998 ML320 which had very few problems.

From a reliability standpoint, the RX300 is probably the better bet.

The one thing that really bugs me about the RX300 is its HUGE turning circle. It's like doing a U-turn in the QEII. Like any Benz, the ML has a tight turning circle.

That ML in the pictures above looks like it hit something (or something hit it) as it rolled over. I've never seen an ML with such extensive rollover damage.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
that rollover does not look like a 3/4 rollover accident....seems to be MUCH more to it than that. Take a look at the rollover testing videos...they roll numerous times and still doesn't have damage like you've shown...
Old 07-09-2004, 04:03 PM

2009 ML350
Thumbs down Consider the Lexus

I own a 01 ML430, it does ride and handle very well and V-8 and transmission very smooth and thats it.

Why I will never own another ML period:

Interior materials are terrible and huge disappointment. The plastics used are cheap as well as the fit and finish. For $55K you don't even get real wood trim. Leather seats is misnomer, more like vinyl, trust me, just look a feel them and they are already cracking (the ML is garaged).

I compare the interior materials, there fit and finish (leather surfaces are real cowhide) and switch gear to my 01 VW Jetta and there is no comaprision, VW wins hands down and even has real burled walnut accents. That car still makes me smile every time I get in it.

I have had to replace under warranty luckily,
Fuel guage
Radiator hoses (they failed)
Power stering pump hose (twice-they failed)
Battery
Cup holders
Ash tray cover (wouldn't stay closed)
Front AC vents
Sunroof deflector (3 times)
Heated seats burn your ***- can even use them
The folding mechansim for rear seats failed - they would't fold down
One of the exit/entry assists handles pulled right out of the roof.

And the Grand finale!!

Mileage 65,000

Parts count include original OEM install off production line.

Currently on:

3rd set of rotors

3rd set of front brake pads

5th set of rear brake pads

The 2nd set of front pads, 4th set of rear pad and 2nd set of rotors failed/wore out in 11,000 miles.

Driving style: In town grocery getting and open freeway driving (no stop-n-go)

11,000 miles a stretch for the pads, but completely unacceptable for a set of rotors.
One dealer says this is normal, the other says its not..either way no one has a fix.

Sold my 98 Trooper Limited (never one issue ever..had a 95 with same results) to move upscale..so I thought!

The ML has been a disappointment from day one.....hello Toureg
Old 07-13-2004, 11:01 PM
lee

I would love to take a look at the rollover videos but for some unknown reason I haven't been able to get them to show. Actually I would like to be able to obtain a copy of the test video to send to the owner of the wrecked car. It was a 3/4 turn rollover and did not hit anything. The driver did have to be cut out of the car. Her head was caught between the caved in roof and the headrest.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:59 PM

w210 e55
My post revived .
I have seen a number of roll over photos and none that were as bad as the burgandy one shown. That was one of the reasons I went with a 03 ml350. Gotta' keep my "biatch" safe.
After six month of ownership I am happy with my purchase. The wife likes driving it and I don't have to worry about her curbing my rims anymore .
For 31k I bought a loaner with 13k miles. After a number of warranty fixes it's been smooth sailing. I did slap on a set of cross terrains that made a world of difference in ride and handling. So far the brakes and everything else are holding up.
On occasion I get the usual joystick issue on the mcs and I have a tranny downshift issue that is intermittant but other than that it's alright. I am ready for my 22k B service.

The truck feels solid and safe. And I don't worry when I have to jump a curb or do something nutty in it because it is a truck (vs the RX).
Old 07-14-2004, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Congrats to you...I am planning to trade my ML320 in for an FX 35/45 within 30k more miles of usage. I currently have 70k. Hope it will last another 30k without busting my bank since it just went out of warranty.