M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML350 BAS/ESP after backup camera install?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
ML350 BAS/ESP after backup camera install?

Just very nervous hope it isnt expensive repair: yesterday I took our 2004 ML350 to a decent-rated car audio/alarm shop in my neighborhood. We wanted to have a backup camera installed. My wife was constantly backing up and knicking the real bumper.

After maybe 2 hours it was done and drove home...all working, very happy.

Today I get in car and notice the BAS/ESP light is on the dash when I start engine. At first I thought it was just one of those typical resets needed (start engine, turn wheel left then right then center)...but that did not work.

I checked and left/right break lights work, but 3rd stop light does not....and this is where I believe the backup camera taps it's 12v. And the backup camera does work however. Also car drives fine, shifts fine, parking break works, and no other error codes.

Tomorrow being Sunday of course I can't bring car back. But will during the week. Just wondering if there is a cause/effect here. When I Google BAS/ESP light there are so many different causes...and fixes from $15 stop light switch by pedal to thousands in console replacements.

Thank you in advance for helping shed some light on this...

Last edited by kidfcp; 03-15-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
Its good that you have googled....You have read about many causes. To pinpoint your problem you need to scan your car for codes.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 PM

ML350
thanks yes will bring it in tomorrow to be scanned. My own scanner only picks up OBDII. Already nervous but hoping it will be on the lower end of cost to repair this.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:54 AM

ML350
Driveshaft bearing

My mechanic located a rattling sound that turned out to be a faulty driveshaft bearing. When we replaced it, you could actually see a lot of rust. It's driving very smooth now. Only problem is that it's an old fashioned shop (he's my trusted mechanic of 20+ years) and we don't have access to a Star scanner to clear the BAS light. He is positive all checks out fine and I trust him. We think the BAS light needs a simple reset. We tried the wheel trick left right center but that didn't work.

Would I need this Star scanned... Probably... But my best bet because I'm NYC...very risky to get ripped off by unscrupulous dealership or a mechanic I don't know who will say you need a 3k BAS console

Looked into getting a Star scanner myself and would share with my mechanic but they're super expensive. If anyone has recommendation or link for it let me know. Better yet if anyone has one themselves or a shop that they can vouch in NYC that are honest I'd be open to it.

Car really is running very smooth now. Just feels like better traction with that bearing replaced.

PS tried the wheel trick on reset (left right center) didn't work

Last edited by kidfcp; 03-18-2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: None