M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

UPDATE: Brake Squeal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML500
UPDATE: Brake Squeal

Well, after installing the EBC pads the brake squeal got worse. In fact, it was non-stop. Regardless the pressure, speed or direction, the brakes squeal incessantly. Of course, it was later revealed that they did not install shims because they felt the rotors may be damaged since the pads had not worn enough.

Nevertheless, MB here took the car back and installed OEM pads again. The squeal is miraculously gone. After 5 attempts at correcting this annnoyance, the squeal has remarkably vanished. So I asked the Service Dept. what they did differently. This was the reply:

We did go back with the following brake pads,

Mercedes-Benz part number 163-420-09-20 rear
Mercedes-Benz part number 163-420-08-20 front

The only thing that we did different this time, is that we applied a BG part number 860, Stop Squeal and let them soak for 2 to 3 hours before we installed them on the unit.

It was amazing how quickly the problem was remedied after responding negatively to a Customer Satisfaction Survey on the dealership Service Dept.

I guess the squeaky wheel *does* get the grease.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Re: UPDATE: Brake Squeal

[i]Originally posted by GamblerZ

It was amazing how quickly the problem was remedied after responding negatively to a Customer Satisfaction Survey on the dealership Service Dept.

I guess the squeaky wheel *does* get the grease.
yea, was advised by my dealer that i was probably going to get a survey in the mail because it was warranty service done (service B), and that they expect nothing but perfect marks on the survey because MBUSA and the dealer bosses take it very seriously and anything below a 90 is unacceptable.
So I guess they do pay attention to those who put bad marks. But I don't think it's annonymous, huh?

-G-
Old 01-23-2004, 11:17 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML500
It was evident to me that the survey was NOT annonymous. Of course, I put on the survey that MBUSA is welcome to call for additional information. I actually received a call from MBUSA asking me to explain in detail the problems(since it pertained to more than the brake squeal) I was experiencing.

After a couple of days I received phone calls from the service manager, sales manager and the dealership owner. Suddenly, I had their attention. Meanwhile, I was put on the list of people to visit next time the MB Regional Manager comes to town.

Someone told me that negative survey responses can ultimately affect a dealership's car allocation. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I just know that it yielded some satisfactory results...for the brake squeal, that is.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by GamblerZ
It was evident to me that the survey was NOT annonymous. Of course, I put on the survey that MBUSA is welcome to call for additional information. I actually received a call from MBUSA asking me to explain in detail the problems(since it pertained to more than the brake squeal) I was experiencing.

After a couple of days I received phone calls from the service manager, sales manager and the dealership owner. Suddenly, I had their attention. Meanwhile, I was put on the list of people to visit next time the MB Regional Manager comes to town.

Someone told me that negative survey responses can ultimately affect a dealership's car allocation. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I just know that it yielded some satisfactory results...for the brake squeal, that is.
I heard that if scores are not satisfactory, MBUSA has a little talk with them and doesn't alot things or whatnot...so it definately has an effect.

-G-