M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2003 ML500 MCS replacement. Please help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML500
2003 ML500 MCS replacement. Please help!

I have a 2003 ML500 and I am going to replace the factory MCS unit with a JVC double din unit I plan to buy at Best Buy. I tried researching answers but very few are definitive and most of them ambiguous. My questions are:

1) Can this be done?
2) What do I lose?
3) When someone referes to 'fiber optics', what are they saying? ALL speaker wiring or ONLY the CD to the HU?
4) Do I lose the functionality of the amp and the sub?
5) Do I have to rewire everything?

I looked very hard for a harness kit but only came across this on ebay which I ordered:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/280929388062?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Can I use that and will I lose the amp/sub functionality? I don't care about the amp/sub but I simply want BT and an aux unit. I can always add the amp/sub later.
Thanks in advance for your input but please help!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
1. Yes , it can be done.
2. You loose the factory amp.
3. MCS is connected to the factory amp & the cd changer & TeleAid through Fibreoptic cable. The speakers use normal cable. The speakers can be used if your new JVC has 2ohm output impedance, or if you install an aftermarket amp capable of 2ohm impedance.
4. Kiss goodbye to the Bose amp. The sub can be used with an aftermarket amp. It's a very weak, ****ty sub. I wouldn't use it at all. Get a new 12'' sub + amp.
5. Depending on the setup you use, yes(except speaker cables). If you only install the JVC, it will be minimal wiring. You will have to bypass the Bose amp. Remove the amp, unplug it & use the harness.
Good luck & welcome to the forum.
Shout if you are stuck.
You will find a PDF of your sound system diagram here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ml#post6174250
Old 08-03-2015, 07:54 PM

ML500
Originally Posted by art_arev
1. Yes , it can be done.
2. You loose the factory amp.
3. MCS is connected to the factory amp & the cd changer & TeleAid through Fibreoptic cable. The speakers use normal cable. The speakers can be used if your new JVC has 2ohm output impedance, or if you install an aftermarket amp capable of 2ohm impedance.
4. Kiss goodbye to the Bose amp. The sub can be used with an aftermarket amp. It's a very weak, ****ty sub. I wouldn't use it at all. Get a new 12'' sub + amp.
5. Depending on the setup you use, yes(except speaker cables). If you only install the JVC, it will be minimal wiring. You will have to bypass the Bose amp. Remove the amp, unplug it & use the harness.
Good luck & welcome to the forum.
Shout if you are stuck.
You will find a PDF of your sound system diagram here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w...ml#post6174250
Thank you so much! I'll look into a new sub and amp. Also, what do you mean by remove the amp? How many channels amp am I going to need?

Last edited by NickPinLA; 08-03-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 ML55,2007 ML63
You have a Bose amplifier installed behind the dash. The PDF below shows how to remove it. After removing the amp ,unplug it. You will need to tap into the speaker wires from the connector.
You can sell the amp. It is useless if you are going the aftermarket way.
You can do the same with the sub, if you are getting an aftermarket bigger sub & an amp.
If you are buying 1 amp, you will need a 5 channel amp.
If you are buying 2 amps, you will need a 4 channel & a monoblock for the sub.
Attached Files
Old 08-05-2015, 01:47 AM

ML500
Originally Posted by art_arev
You have a Bose amplifier installed behind the dash. The PDF below shows how to remove it. After removing the amp ,unplug it. You will need to tap into the speaker wires from the connector.
You can sell the amp. It is useless if you are going the aftermarket way.
You can do the same with the sub, if you are getting an aftermarket bigger sub & an amp.
If you are buying 1 amp, you will need a 5 channel amp.
If you are buying 2 amps, you will need a 4 channel & a monoblock for the sub.
Got it! Thanks again. I have decided to go with a 4 channel amp and ditch the sub altogether. I get plenty of low end in my house and don't particularly care in the car. I think the amp should do a decent job of it all.