M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Anyone install one of these baby yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ML500
Anyone install one of these baby yet?

Any one had one in their ML? How is it?

AV Electronic website

Old 02-11-2004, 12:41 PM

Although, a novel idea, there are a couple inherent problems that I notice immediately. First, price. From what I can tell, it looks like the tuner, audio adapter and changer would run about $1200. Not too bad for mobile video, but for such a new company (8 years), I'll spend the extra $$$$ and buy from an established manufacturer. I say this, but my only experience with in-dash DVD was a disaster when I bought my Panasonic three years ago. Go figure.

Also, for those who really appreciate technology and the intricacies invovled, quality is a big concern. I'm clueless at what the resolution would be for video on my Nav screen. Does anyone know? If the clarity is there and the install isn't outrageous, then this might be a valid cheaper alternative. I'd have to have those questions answered and assurance from the company that they'll stand by their product first, though.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:07 PM

03 ML500
here are the gallery link for some of their installs.

Install gallery
Old 02-12-2004, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 ML320
Are you looking at their Nav-conversion? If not, then there are hundreds of other places to look at - or do it yourself, which can be much cheaper if you know what you're doing.

We have an A/V system in our Previa - with a 14" pop-down LCD built into the ceiling, TV tuner, 2 composite inputs (1 for the in-dahs Panasonic DVD), 1 component input, 1 S-Video, 1 VGA input. Got the Panasonic unit about two years ago for $350. For the monitor, I 'made' that part of it by taking a desktop computer 14" LCD that I got for $125 out the door - took it apart, took off all the plastic and metal framework and junk, reversed the metal bracket inside, changed the positioning of the controller board inside, and built a small bracket around the screen.

Then I cut a matching side hole in the ceiling, put in some plywood for support, then epoxied the wood to various structural parts inside. I then mounted the screen (the hinge) on the wood and then placed the cut-out section of the ceiling on the back of the screen. So the effect is that when it's closed (folded up), it's nearly flat with the ceiling trim.

The screen is 1024x768 resolution - takes a VGA connetor - so I bought an AverMedia desktop TV tuner box on eBay, took it out of the plastic casing, then opened up the left side interior trim, cut appropriate holes in order to expose the IR remote sensor, LED's, and the extra input plugs. Then I mounted the board inside. The only part you see outside is the little IR sensor sticking out, the LED, 1 composite input, 1 component, and the VGA input. I also got a powered TV antenna mounted in the inside of the windshield (near the top).

The VGA input lets me plug in my laptop on the go and have it show on the screen for trips, etc.

So total for the 14" LCD setup, DVD-player, Tuner/Video box, TV antenna was around $600 plus the time it took me for installation.

-----------------------

So back on topic, if you're referring to the Nav conversion, that site doesn't list the ML anywhere - so I don't think they will do the MCS. Nav-TV (http://www.nav-tv.com) does the video conversion on the MCS, but it's around $1200 and it's only video - audio has to be through FM modulator, cassette adapter, or something of that sort.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:13 AM

03 ML500
Yes, I'm looking for the Nav Conversion. I like to keep it low key and stock look. So, this seem to be the most affordable and quality alternative at this point but I just need assurance from other ML owners that had done it to give it a thump up!