M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML55 Vibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2002, 01:34 AM
Con

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55 Vibration

I recently bought an ML55 and have had problems with vibration occuring at 90 km/h - 110 km/h (55mph - 70mph) the vibration comes from all round the car. The car has been back to the dealer many times and has had new tires fitted new mags but still no improvement. I was wondering if any one has any ideas or has experieced this problem.

Thanks

Con
Old 03-28-2002, 05:09 PM

ML55
I have a '00 ML55 and vibration is an issue. I get vibraion and rattling noises from all over the place. I even get it underneath the steering wheel. You [Con] probably don't have a problem with vibration on the outside rearview mirrors, it is annoying and MB dealer has replaced the mirror 3 times and it is still the same (hhmmm wonder if they actually replaced the miror)! Have you experienced other problems with your car, probably not, since you just bought it. I hope all the bugs were fixed for the 02 model, I've had my ML55 for almost 17 months and I've been to the shop every month (for the first 14 months, now I just don't drive it as much!) for various problems. Good luck with your ML55
Old 03-28-2002, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
thats ashame, these are hand built vehicles. It really is too bad, the ML55 has to be the best looking SUV I have ever seen, so classy. Find a different dealer and keep that 55 rollin .
Old 03-28-2002, 11:27 PM
Con

Thanks for your response, I have the same problem with my side view mirrors and they have replaced them twice so far. When you reach 70kph or higher the side view mirror begins to vibrate and its very annoying. What have the dealers suggested is wrong with your ML55, have they improved the vibration or do they try and pass it back to you as being "normal"
Old 04-13-2002, 03:35 AM

ML430
I have huge rattles at the back seats when the road is bumpy. It's very annoying, I keep wondering if it is a Merc that I am driving. Also, at the steering wheel when you adjust to the lowest position possible it makes noise when you turn the wheels. That's rediculous. Not meant to be picky or anything, my seat (driver's seat) squels over rough roads too !!!!!
Do the problems above occur to anyone? If so, any tips on improving the reduction of those disturbing noises? Any information given is highly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2002, 10:18 PM
Guy

'02 vibration

I had an '02 ML500 with vibration issues. I had the Conti tires 275x55 r17s.
I had to have 3 replace and then all 4 Load Force Matching balancing using a hunter machine. Fixed problems about 97%. Then i needed to put about 2500 miles on the tires at full PSI inflation. Things are smoothe as silk now that any out of round has worn off. The tires are still in great shape.

Being that you likely have differnt wheels/tires on your 55, use the www.hunterengineering.com site to locate some tire ship with this special machine. Going rate about $16 per tire to do this type of balancing - butter up the manager and the tech saying that the tires are likely balance, but you want the "Match Balancing" Shoot for out-of-round force reading <=30 anything more you'll likely feel despite 50 being "in-spec" for a SUV.

guy
Old 04-26-2002, 03:40 AM

ML430
Thanks GUY.

GUY, thanks for your information, it sounds interesting.
I am actually using 285/45/19.
Perhaps balancing is require? Just to make sure.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:29 AM
Almost a Member!

S500, CL600, ML55
Angry ml55 vibrations

I have been using my '01 ML55 for a year now...... drives amazing... however the vibrations and noises are just a shame. I run in the engine properly for the first 1500 miles, and the car still refuses to go over 145 mph
Old 05-29-2002, 10:22 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 ML 320
Similar Problems with ML 320

I have had vibration problems with my new ML 320 (see thread below titled: "Wheel Balancing Problems")

It has gotten a lot better since they worked on it for the FIFTH time, but still not perfect. The strange thing is that the vibration comes and goes. This morning it was PERFECT but last night, it shook like crazy....I can't figure out how that can be.....maybe it's possessed!

As far as other rattles and vibrations in the car, I have taking those matters into my own hands since I don't trust the dealer to fix them without breaking several other things in the process. I bought lots of felt (sp?) and have been installing it everywhere I hear a rattle. My steering wheel column cover makes all sorts of noises as the temp in the car changes and I have been unable to locate the source of that one, but other then that, the felt did the trick....

Hope that helps.
DRB