M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Final decision on tranny service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Final decision on tranny service?

Hello all. I've asked about doing a transmission flush and service on my 2001 Ml320 on a previous thread. I'd like to thank DrX and art_arev for their patient and careful instruction on that previous thread. But now that the spring is coming, I have to make a decision as to follow through with the service or drive the car as is. On one side I have two mechanics saying it's too late to service and if I do, the tranny won't work. On the other side of things, I have DrX and art_arev (thank you again, you guys are awesome) saying that nothing will happen and I will enjoy many more hundred miles of motoring.

The car is currently at ~108,500mi (174,600km) and often shifts roughly between 2nd and 1st when decelerating to a stop sign or when crawling in traffic. When I say roughly, at its worst it's like a light clunk, and at its best, a very small shove. Upshifts seem kinda slow, but I don't think thats a problem so much as the tranny is just like that. I've gotten used to driving in such a way that I can predict when it will happen so it doesn't shift as roughly, so its bearable, but still annoying. By no means is the car un-drivable, otherwise I wouldn't have been doing donuts in the mall parking lot during the most recent snowstorm.

So, should I do the tranny service or not?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well moose it sounds that the way you drive a tranny flush wont't do FA!! Screw the flush instead put those pimpy colored lower chassis lights on the baby!!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 Black E320
I think you should do a tranny service and also have the transmission and engine mounts checked. Although you only have 108k on your odo the truck is still a 2001 so flushing the tranny is not a bad idea.

I recently acquired a 2002 ML500 with 169k on the odo. The engine and transmission both feel great, however, I am going to change the oil and do a drop and fill and replace the filter on the tranny. The following week I will drain and fill both differentials and the transfer case.

I have a 2003 E320 that has the same transmission. It has an intermittent slight shudder when decelerating. I have dropped and replaced the fluid twice and replaced the filter. The tranny does not display any codes. My next step will be to replace the computer plate and solenoids on the valve body. If that does not fix it, I will replace the torque converter.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:48 AM

2001 ML320
Originally Posted by ldotmurray
I think you should do a tranny service and also have the transmission and engine mounts checked. Although you only have 108k on your odo the truck is still a 2001 so flushing the tranny is not a bad idea.

I recently acquired a 2002 ML500 with 169k on the odo. The engine and transmission both feel great, however, I am going to change the oil and do a drop and fill and replace the filter on the tranny. The following week I will drain and fill both differentials and the transfer case.

I have a 2003 E320 that has the same transmission. It has an intermittent slight shudder when decelerating. I have dropped and replaced the fluid twice and replaced the filter. The tranny does not display any codes. My next step will be to replace the computer plate and solenoids on the valve body. If that does not fix it, I will replace the torque converter.
Mine shudders just like your E320 does on deceleration too, not always but intermittently. I think I'll go through with the flush and also try doing a transmission relearn thing with a diagnostic computer. Along with the flush I'll change the pan, gasket, filter/strainer, conductor plate, pilot bushing, and of course the fluid. After that I'm also thinking of replacing the fluid in the diffs and the transfer case.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM

2001 ML320
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Well moose it sounds that the way you drive a tranny flush wont't do FA!! Screw the flush instead put those pimpy colored lower chassis lights on the baby!!
Yeah, and don't forget about the chrome exhaust tip and Chinese made chrome 22 inch wheels!

On a serious note though, I baby the the car most of the time considering the trans isn't feeling 100%. But like I said, its not un-drivable or incapable in any sense. If I tell it to go, it'll go, but not as elegantly as it should.