M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

'99 ML430 Stalls out won't start - no clue what to do

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-01-2004, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation '99 ML430 Stalls out won't start - no clue what to do

hey guys,

I have a '99 ML430 that stalls out after about 10-15 minutes of idling or driving and then will NOT restart for at least 20-30 minutes. when trying to restart, the motor cranks but it sounds like no fuel/spark is being delivered since it will not start up. I know the pump is good, I changed it myself. Is there a fuel pump relay that I should try and locate to see if that's toast?

the truck has been sitting in my garage for the past 3 months and I've replaced the following with new parts myself:

Fuel Pump
fuel pump update kit from my NJ dealer
Fuel Filter
MAF
Air filter
I even bought a new key from the US to try it, same thing.

I'm in Africa so going to the dealer is NOT a great option here.

somebody help me out here, I'm going nuts trying to figure it out.

I appreciate anyone's help!

-Ron
Old 03-01-2004, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Re: '99 ML430 Stalls out won't start - no clue what to do

Originally posted by themadhatter
hey guys,

I have a '99 ML430 that stalls out after about 10-15 minutes of idling or driving and then will NOT restart for at least 20-30 minutes. when trying to restart, the motor cranks but it sounds like no fuel/spark is being delivered since it will not start up. I know the pump is good, I changed it myself. Is there a fuel pump relay that I should try and locate to see if that's toast?

the truck has been sitting in my garage for the past 3 months and I've replaced the following with new parts myself:

Fuel Pump
fuel pump update kit from my NJ dealer
Fuel Filter
MAF
Air filter
I even bought a new key from the US to try it, same thing.

I'm in Africa so going to the dealer is NOT a great option here.

somebody help me out here, I'm going nuts trying to figure it out.

I appreciate anyone's help!

-Ron
Could have been a bad fuel pump that u installed. Or your new key isnt working correctly.
Old 03-01-2004, 03:50 PM

hmmm, good point.

I have 3 keys so that's can't be it. anyway I can test the new fuel pump?

or even check the old pump? I pulled the pump cause my dealer (in Jersey) told me it was recalled and I should change it anyways but I'm been hitting brick walls everywhere with this truck and since I'm on my own with it, it's very frustrating.

-Ron
Old 03-01-2004, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
i completely agree with AlBoston, sounds like it has to be the fuel pump.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:13 PM

alright - I still have the old fuel pump and since the symptoms have NOT changed, I'm gonna play with the old one and see if I can get it to start dry with a 12v input.

any input from the ML God? I was hoping this problem was more common so I could directly identify the source and just remove/replace the defective part but it seems more like a witch hunt in replacing parts that may have not been faulty.

Is it possible for ignition coils to provide the same symptoms as this?

-Ron

edit: I picked up a Crank Position Sensor as this was also a recalled item, could a faulty CPS do this?

Last edited by themadhatter; 03-01-2004 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
alright - I still have the old fuel pump and since the symptoms have NOT changed, I'm gonna play with the old one and see if I can get it to start dry with a 12v input.

any input from the ML God? I was hoping this problem was more common so I could directly identify the source and just remove/replace the defective part but it seems more like a witch hunt in replacing parts that may have not been faulty.

Is it possible for ignition coils to provide the same symptoms as this?

-Ron

edit: I picked up a Crank Position Sensor as this was also a recalled item, could a faulty CPS do this?
A CPS may cause that, i recall UncAL have a similar problem, let me do some digging and see what his solution was.
Old 03-01-2004, 05:41 PM

1998 ML-320
Re: '99 ML430 Stalls out won't start - no clue what to do

hey guys,

-Ron
I agree - its the fuel pump. It is overheating. When it cools off, it works. Same thing happened to me. I had the fuel pump/sending unit replaced by a dealer - 3 months later it failed again. Had it replaced by a better dealer - no problems since.

Here is P/Ns and technical info.

Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz
Re: Re: '99 ML430 Stalls out won't start - no clue what to do

Originally posted by UncAl
I agree - its the fuel pump. It is overheating. When it cools off, it works. Same thing happened to me. I had the fuel pump/sending unit replaced by a dealer - 3 months later it failed again. Had it replaced by a better dealer - no problems since.

Here is P/Ns and technical info.

Good Luck!
Yes! I knew it. Thanks UncAl
Old 03-02-2004, 05:01 AM

gentlemen,

thank you for that excellent write up, I'm going to see if I can try that today. I'll report my luck or misfortune afterwards.

-Ron
Old 03-02-2004, 09:36 AM

well.....got to the pump from the inside of the truck - no problems there. ran the truck for about 60 seconds and it was pumping fuel without a problem. crimped a line to anger it a little and yup, fuel running pretty strong in those lines.

shut the truck off with the key (I didn't wait for it to stall out) - immediatly tried to restart and the sickness has returned - crank with no start. now we all know that even with a little bit of gas in the lines, the truck will run or at least catch for a second or two then it will sputter and shut off. this truck didn't even bother with any of that. it's as if the fuel injectors aren't spraying or there is no spark.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C 320 CDI 4M W204 / C43 AMG (W202) / C 220 CDI T (S203) / ZX-10R Ninja
it's as if the fuel injectors aren't spraying or there is no spark.
Good point, take the spark plugs out and clean them they could be wet...
Old 03-02-2004, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Teck
Good point, take the spark plugs out and clean them they could be wet...
have coil packs on these cars ever been a problem? Is it safe to test the voltage on these as well?

Also, is there a fuel system relay that I can get to? My old 126 500 SEL had a fuel system relay go out on me and a quick smack to it fixed it up enough to get me home.

-Ron
Old 03-02-2004, 01:09 PM

1998 ML-320
Also, is there a fuel system relay that I can get to?
Yes, its in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Check your Owners Manual for location.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by UncAl
Yes, its in the fuse box in the engine compartment. Check your Owners Manual for location.
hmmm, I dug into that before (infront of the DME & ESP) and all I found where light relays. perhaps I over looked it.

I'll have to look again when it's light out.

thanks!

-Ron
Old 03-06-2004, 05:19 AM

well, replaced the Fuel Pump Relay

checked the fuel line to the motor and it's pumping gas (only on the first run).

I keep digging and I think it's an electrical issue since the fuel pump is not getting juice when I try and restart the car.

Any Ideas?