M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Fan sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Fan sound?

Hey all,
Ok...I had the ML started and was standing next to it talking to some friends. I heard this sound that i can't figure out what it is. Its not a ticking or pinging sound. It's like when you stick a leaf into a fan and it hits it every rotation going around. You know what I mean?

Anyone else notice this "type" of sound on their ML? I popped the hood and listened for it. It's either coming from the fan area or in the left corner of the front of the engine (if you were facing the engine, that left).

Ideas? Thanks!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 e55
I have a similar sound in my ML350. It originates from what I think is the heater control valve. At least that's what it looks like. That is on my deal to check list for next Tuesday. Mine make a selenoid motor sound and it's coming from a device that looks like it has coolant hoses coming through it mounted on the passenger side. My noise is present after driving, with the truck shut off. The sound still persists. I know it is this device because if you put you hand on it you can feel the vibrations from it.

Check your and see if you have the same thing. I will post what the dealer says on Tuesday.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by Driver55er
I have a similar sound in my ML350. It originates from what I think is the heater control valve. At least that's what it looks like. That is on my deal to check list for next Tuesday. Mine make a selenoid motor sound and it's coming from a device that looks like it has coolant hoses coming through it mounted on the passenger side. My noise is present after driving, with the truck shut off. The sound still persists. I know it is this device because if you put you hand on it you can feel the vibrations from it.

Check your and see if you have the same thing. I will post what the dealer says on Tuesday.
Cool, thanks man. I've got another 3000 miles before next service....so if i can wait till then, i will
Old 03-12-2004, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
If it sounds like a fian hitting something it usually is. ith the engine off try rotating the large fan to see if you hear it. Also another possibility is the E Box fan which sits under the electrical relay box. If its the HVAC fan you would hear it towards the rear of the engine compartment and in the vehicle. To the other poster, what you hear is most likely the aux electric coolant pump that circulates coolant after a shut down . Thats normal. It should not run when the engine is running