M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML270CDI 2000 Engine Cutts Off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML 270 CDI
ML270CDI 2000 Engine Cutts Off

I am new to the forum.

My ML has been giving problems for some time now..
Here is a brief history - of the work done on the car so far:
- Did the EGR bypass in March this year as found on the older post/threads
-Also performed the M55 Swirl flap motor bypass

Thereafter car had been great for some time then about 1 month ago it cut-out of me on the freeway,had been driving quite fast.

I noticed that if you floor the gas pedal it the engine will cut -out,dead and it will restart and drive ok but of late it barely idles for 5mins before cutting out.

What has been replaced so far are the following:
_all 5 copper seals - the mechanic (MB Technician) i noticed did not torque them to the 7Nm as required - also found this on another forum
- the high pressure was also changed but still the same problem exists
-all the plastic fuel lines are about 8 months old
-MAF was changed also about 8 months ago

Fuel filter is new-replaced it together with a re-con High pressure pump.

I have told that it could be sender unit in the tank,is this possible, the mech says it might be clogged up?

When you bleed the air out of the fuel system-the car can be driven, if you rev-it towards 5000 revs when parked it will show EPC and will stall and it will not start again.

What could I look for?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
As you know with a diesel------it is either the lack of air or fuel, and in this case I think you can forget about the air-----it's fuel----have you checked the fuel pump relay or do you in fact know(by hearing)the pump engage.

PS --are you doing this job in your back yard or is the car at a shop---if it's at a shop he can use his diagnostics to find the issue in minutes!!
Old 07-20-2016, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz ML 270 CDI
Thanks for the quick reply,Plutoe.

Mine has a mechanical pump that is mounted on the front of the engine and it is cam driven.

I believe this model does not have an electronic one - what is in the tank is the sender unit- which my MB Mech wanted to change - its pricey and I don't want to throw money away but trying things.

Since my injector seals were changed, I drove the car for a month until this whole drama started.

I can see the "un-burnt" diesel around the injectors after the engine has been revved quite hard, especially close to the peak,5000 revs(when parked) and it as at this point that EPC is shown on the instrument cluster and it dies immediately. Thereafter it is almost impossible to restart the car again.

I am opting to do the car on my own as I am very mechanically capable and I have excellent knowledge of electronics in general - hence the post.

The dealers are emptying my bank account every time even for minor repairs.