M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

ML430 no key/fob available from dealer

Old 03-17-2017, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 430
ML430 no key/fob available from dealer

Guys,
I have a 2001 ML 430 with a non functioning key FOB. have replaced battery to no avail. have gone to dealership and was told MB does not have anymore and no ETA expected. ( after paying for the new key/fob $190 and later told of lack of support)
any reasonable alternatives out there ?
in central NJ if that helps.

thanks
Old 03-17-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'04 ML350
Has the dealer confirmed that your fob is broken and not the aam?

You need to make sure the remote's battery connectors aren't bent and are making contact with the batteries. You can inspect and re-adjust them and try again.

Have you tried to re-program the key to the vehicle?
the sequence must be completed in 10 seconds

1. Insert the key into ignition and turn to position 2.
2. Remove the key, and quickly press the LOCK button, and hold it pressed while simultaneously pressing the UNLOCK button 5 times.
3. Now release the lock button, and press either the LOCK or UNLOCK button once.

If that doesn't work then try again by pressing unlock 10 times.

If that doesn't work then I would suggest that you order a new key case from eBay for a few dollars. Then carefully pry yours open(so as not to damage the internals since the case is not re-usable) and hope that something is unsoldered or visibly damaged and repairable. There are videos on prying the case open on youtube. Be careful not to lose the transponding chip - it is about the size of a grain of rice and is inside of the case, along with the circuit board for the key. If you lose that they you won't be able to start your car and drive it. I've read of many instances where one of the buttons has become unsoldered from the board and in that case it wouldn't be able to re-sync. Inspect the solder connections with a magnifying glass and repair any broken connections. If nothing appears to be damaged, then there may be water damage. Look for warps and discoloration or corrosion on the circuitry. There isn't much you can do with liquid damage, but you can try to clean the board. Running it through the dishwasher is probably the easiest way. Otherwise you can clean the board with a toothbrush and diluted alcohol, but I would reccommend submerging the board while you do so. Dry thoroughly with compressed air and/or or a hair dryer on low. Reassemble into the replacement casing and hope it works. Look for how-to videos before attempting.

If that doesn't work, then there is a universal key fob that you could use if you had to. People with bad aams have had success with it. It is a kit with a couple of fobs. You remove the center console and splice a part onto the unlock/lock buttons there, then use the fobs to "talk" to the part and unlock or lock your doors. You'd still need your original fob and key to be able to start the car.

This isn't your remote, but is worth a look -

From personal experience I would say that half of remotes are repairable.

Last edited by Aar Sto; 03-17-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ml 430
Originally Posted by Aar Sto
Has the dealer confirmed that your fob is broken and not the aam?

You need to make sure the remote's battery connectors aren't bent and are making contact with the batteries. You can inspect and re-adjust them and try again.

Have you tried to re-program the key to the vehicle?
the sequence must be completed in 10 seconds

1. Insert the key into ignition and turn to position 2.
2. Remove the key, and quickly press the LOCK button, and hold it pressed while simultaneously pressing the UNLOCK button 5 times.
3. Now release the lock button, and press either the LOCK or UNLOCK button once.

If that doesn't work then try again by pressing unlock 10 times.

If that doesn't work then I would suggest that you order a new key case from eBay for a few dollars. Then carefully pry yours open(so as not to damage the internals since the case is not re-usable) and hope that something is unsoldered or visibly damaged and repairable. There are videos on prying the case open on youtube. Be careful not to lose the transponding chip - it is about the size of a grain of rice and is inside of the case, along with the circuit board for the key. If you lose that they you won't be able to start your car and drive it. I've read of many instances where one of the buttons has become unsoldered from the board and in that case it wouldn't be able to re-sync. Inspect the solder connections with a magnifying glass and repair any broken connections. If nothing appears to be damaged, then there may be water damage. Look for warps and discoloration or corrosion on the circuitry. There isn't much you can do with liquid damage, but you can try to clean the board. Running it through the dishwasher is probably the easiest way. Otherwise you can clean the board with a toothbrush and diluted alcohol, but I would reccommend submerging the board while you do so. Dry thoroughly with compressed air and/or or a hair dryer on low. Reassemble into the replacement casing and hope it works. Look for how-to videos before attempting.

If that doesn't work, then there is a universal key fob that you could use if you had to. People with bad aams have had success with it. It is a kit with a couple of fobs. You remove the center console and splice a part onto the unlock/lock buttons there, then use the fobs to "talk" to the part and unlock or lock your doors. You'd still need your original fob and key to be able to start the car.

This isn't your remote, but is worth a look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqfivH9-Dg

From personal experience I would say that half of remotes are repairable.
that was one heck of a "complete" response. thank you very much. I found a local locksmith who is certain he can replace the FOB and will give him a try as I am not electrically inclined, slightly mechanical but not good with electronics.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
SOLD both: 1987 560SL 2003 ML320
Good info. I lost one of my two fobs and found the same thing at the dealer....yet they gave me a blade style key that MB sent as a replacement. It CANNOT be programmed to function via the AAM and is pretty much useless. $87 down the MB drain. I am flagging the above notes for future reference!!