M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Noob with aftermarket warranty questions..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Smile Noob with aftermarket warranty questions..

Hey All.. New to the board as I own a BMW E39 (5 series) so usually on the Roadfly board Anyway, the wife and I just purchased a very clean lo mileage (29K) Azure Blue w/Tan 2001 ML320 w/Sport Pkge, 17"'s, Xenons, CD Changer, etc. (this is her ride).

Anyway, the car has 29K miles, so still under factory warr., it was purchased at an indy dealer. My question is, the dealer suggested/offered Warrantech as an aftermarket warranty on the vehicle, but we decided to do some research first before shelling out the ~$2K for it. And since we have 30 days why not??

Anyone use Warrantech or http://www.autowarrantiesdirect.com I found on the 'net? I understand that Mercedes will honor these warranties??...

Will post pics as soon as we get it back from the dealer. The front passenger side seat bottom was cracked and the glovebox was very loose, so all being replaced/fixed..

Thanks all in advance..!!
Old 04-09-2004, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 ML550, 2010 E350 4M, 1966 Corvette Convt C2
I would be very cautious with any aftermarket warranty offered. Many companies have gone bankrupt or just out of business leaving their policy holders with nothing. If your ML is purchased from a dealer it should be Starmarked which will give you a fair amount of protection for a period of time. Also dealers look at the extended warranty business as a profit center. They are paid a commission if you buy from them. If it were me I would forget the extended warranty and pay for any repairs out of pocket. You will probobly be ahead of the game
Old 04-09-2004, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML320
Originally posted by sosh
I would be very cautious with any aftermarket warranty offered. Many companies have gone bankrupt or just out of business leaving their policy holders with nothing. If your ML is purchased from a dealer it should be Starmarked which will give you a fair amount of protection for a period of time. Also dealers look at the extended warranty business as a profit center. They are paid a commission if you buy from them. If it were me I would forget the extended warranty and pay for any repairs out of pocket. You will probobly be ahead of the game
Oh ok.. Actually, we purchased from an independent not a Mercedes dealer so StarMark n/a. But, the car is in good shape and we will be sure to fix "everything", recalls, TSB, etc., before the factory one is up...