M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

SQUEEKY brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 04:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
SQUEEKY brakes

I assume the reason why the Ml brakes are always squeeeeeeking when coming to a stop is because I need new rotors, right?
Old 04-14-2004, 09:03 AM

ML55 AMG
Squeeeeeeeky and new rotors?
MB factory rotors should last at least 50k mile. MB does not recommend to turn their rotors for some reason.
Sqeeky brakes....may caused by wet pads and rotors, worn out and may have something to do with low quality parts...such as pads etc.....I'd have MB check them out. Still under warranty?
My ML55 has fairly new brakes....but still squeeky when driving during hard rain and wet winter. Common issue? Not sure!!!!
May be some experienced ML owners out there can help.
Take care
Old 04-14-2004, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
squeaks don NOT equal needing new rotors... does the ligh trip on the dash?
Old 04-14-2004, 04:29 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hi guys,

my ML's brakes really started to howl about 5 months ago.
i took it to my local dealer and they replaced the pads free
of charge. it solved the noise issue. good luck.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:50 PM
Almost a Member!

Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
no lights on dash. I upgraded pads to the higher performance low dust pad about 15K miles ago. cars has been perfect up to this small issue. also have a slight buzzing from the under dash area. sounds kinda like a small bird . fuse area fan?? I have an extended warrantee and just want to fix what I can under this.
thx forum.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:04 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
hey ultracarnut.....my 02 ML500 just today made a loud whistle type sound from under the driver side dash what the hell do you think it is????it sounds like someone is squeezing a mouse:p
Old 04-15-2004, 03:31 AM

ML 270 CDI 2002
MY 02 ML270 has/had two squeaky sounds from the dash.
1. When the fan was on there was a bird swinging behind the dash- Mercs changed the air pump (under warranty)
2. The second noise scares the hell out of me! Forget the mouse, more like a dolphin on steroids being squeezed! Sounds like it comes from the ignition area, makes a noise either when the ignition is on, or/and engine is running. If I run the engine for a few minutes, then stop it the noise goes away. If you find out what it is let me know!- There have been a few posts regarding this problem.
Old 04-15-2004, 02:35 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Originally posted by vo911turbo
Squeeeeeeeky and new rotors?
MB factory rotors should last at least 50k mile.
ROTFLMAO!
Good one!

Originally posted by vo911turbo

May be some experienced ML owners out there can help.
Ok, here's some help:

Don't believe what he says about rotors lasting 50k on the V8 MLs. 20-25k is very common.

The "fix" for squeeky brakes is to use MB's brake pad paste or using an aftermarket anti-squeel (latex-based usually) spray when the pads are installed.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by S55inPA
hey ultracarnut.....my 02 ML500 just today made a loud whistle type sound from under the driver side dash what the hell do you think it is????it sounds like someone is squeezing a mouse:p
The center axle of the e-box (or fuse box) fan tends to get dusty and likely to produce the sound you hear.

I had mine changed a few weeks back. You can go to Kenyee's site and clean the fan you have (instructions are easy to follow) or if, as it was the case for me, your ML is covered by the warranty, you can get the part changed and upgraded to the new part number (newer ball bearing construction seems less prone to squeeling like a "Deliverance" type pig.

Cleaning instructions are HERE
Old 04-16-2004, 02:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Pete F., I need your expertise.

I am in the market for a new vehicle and could not help but notice your signature and have decided to call upon your expertise to help me in this difficult and stressful decision making process.

I am considering a red car and a black car, but cannot afford to purchase both. Sales persons, as expected, are no help. The red car salesman speaks highly of his product, but so does the black car saleswoman. What sets them apart is that the woman (incidentally, a member of the cherokee tribe) will not talk ill about the red car, whereas the man (he's originally from Congo) has inferred that the black car was an inferior product but could not offer convincing specifics.

I am curious as to know why you sold your two black cars. Is the red car more to your liking than the two black cars ever were? I assume that your lifestyle has nothing to do with your decision since you have a black truck to take care of family matters and the vans you have owned post black car period have been sold as well.

Do you have any experience with gray cars? Have you test driven any and if so, what kept you away from purchasing the said gray car (light gray only, I would not consider a dark gray car since it is understood that such do not perform optimally in below zero temperatures rarely seen around your parts or mine)

Thanks in advance,

A long time, anonymous, admirer, bored to death by the expanding length of time elapsed between your posts.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:21 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Pete F., I need your expertise.

Originally posted by tcp_ML500
I am curious as to know why you sold your two black cars.
I read on an internet forum that red cars were faster.

So I had to buy one.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Almost a Member!

I appreciate the help! One more thing

Originally posted by Some Pete Guy
I read on an internet forum that red cars were faster.

So I had to buy one.
The black car has bigger brakes, but skinnier tires, should I care?