M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Brake Question???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2004, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C63 AMG 507
Brake Question???

Hi all, needing to replace rotors and pads. I found these at Brakeworld, anyone have these?

http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.as...624&invidtype=

Also, they sell Rotex and SP Graphite pads, pretty close in price, is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Last edited by Noredline; 04-21-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 02:57 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Brake Question???

Originally posted by Noredline
Hi all, needing to replace rotors and pads. I found these at Brakeworld, anyone have these?

Also, they sell Rotex and SP Graphite pads, pretty close in price, is one better than the other?
What problems have you had with the OEM rotors and pads?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:20 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Re: Brake Questions

Hi, well, they seem to wear out quite rapidly to begin with. I understand it is a very heavy vehicle, but it seems that I am replacing pads every 6 months and rotors about every year. I put Porterfields on last fall, acutally, my dealer put them on for me, and they have squeeked since day one. I am not sure if they used the methods and silencing materials that came with the pads, so I cant say if its the pads or the install. Dont get me wrong, my SA's are the best, and have never had the car serviced elsewhere since I bought it two and a half years ago. Anyway, I am hoping that these Brembos, and different pads will maybe last longer, and be quieter. Sorry, a rather long explanation.
Thanks.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:47 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Re: Re: Brake Questions

Anyway, I am hoping that these Brembos, and different pads will maybe last longer, and be quieter.
I think that expecting aftermarket Bembos that have been drilled and slotted to last longer than OEM Brembos that are solid is wishful thinking. Especially when you consider that drilled rotors develop stress cracks that originate at the holes.

I don't have a problem with OEM pads and OEM rotors, properly installed with anti-squeel paste or spray, being noisy.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:04 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Interesting, I was not aware of the stress cracking potential, thank you for your advice. Though, I have seen drilled rotors on a number of stock vehicles, including some AMG models and Porsche vehicles as well. What is the benefit to them other than dissipating heat quicker and less likelyhood of warping? I guess on those types of vehicles the brakes would heat up faster with heavier braking? I've also checked at German Star, may just simply keep the OEM rotors and pads after all. How often do you need to change your brake pads? Is 6 months reasonable, I do a lot of driving also, maybe 25k per year.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:50 PM

'82 turbo yugo
Interesting, I was not aware of the stress cracking potential, thank you for your advice. Though, I have seen drilled rotors on a number of stock vehicles, including some AMG models and Porsche vehicles as well.
Porsche rotors are not drilled. The holes are cast. Even though this proccess is much better than drilling rotors, they will still crack out from the holes if they are abused.

What is the benefit to them other than dissipating heat quicker and less likelyhood of warping?
That's a can of worms.

"Drilled" rotors have an advantage in the wet for sure. "Warped rotors" on modern vehicles, especially vehicles with thick rotors like the ML, isn't warping but it's usually uneven pad transfer that causes a pulsing feeling through the brake pedal and/or a shuddering through the steering wheel during braking.

My front pads last 15-20k miles, rears a bit longer.

OEM rotors are usually good for at least two pad changes for me, or rather my wife who drives the ML the most these days.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Re: Brake Question???

Thanks in advance

Dave
I have the Brembo Sport rotors F&R on my ML for approx. 2 years now had no issues with crack rotors yet T.G....no significant stopping performance from OEMs, just more of a cosmetic piece...also, found the Axxis Ultimate pads to work better w/ the Brembos. EBC & Porterfields have a habit of squealing despite the use of anti-squeal paste or any other OTC remedies.

Trending Topics

Old 04-22-2004, 03:19 PM

2015 C63 AMG 507
Re: Brakes

Daaaaam SPG, you are a wealth of information, thank you. Also, sounds like your pad wear is similar to mine, I dont feel so bad anymore. Thank you.

Richard, sounds like you are happy with yours, thank you for confiming the squealing, and that it isnt just my car. I had them put on my wife's CLK320 and hers are actually worse than mine. I ended up purchasing from German Star, all OEM rotors, pads and sensors for under $700+ shipping. Waaaaaaay better prices than from my parts department.

Thank you both for your input