M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Seeking Sage Advice From ML Expert re: Swapping Single DIN for OEM Double DIN

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 ML430
Seeking Sage Advice From ML Expert re: Swapping Single DIN for OEM Double DIN

Hi all. I'm a 1999 ML430 owner with single din Bose stereo/cassette. I FINALLY found a non-fiber optic double din OEM unit from a 2000 ML430, and am going to swap it out. However, I cannot find anyone that's actually done this, and I'm not sure how big a project it is. I know I'm going to have to cut the plastic that holds the storage area below the stereo. However, once that's removed, what holds the new double din in place? Do I buy a third party frame that holds it? If so, has anyone done this, does it fit well, and does it look good? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 11-27-2018, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Mercedes Benz Clk320 Coupe
Originally Posted by demichae
Hi all. I'm a 1999 ML430 owner with single din Bose stereo/cassette. I FINALLY found a non-fiber optic double din OEM unit from a 2000 ML430, and am going to swap it out. However, I cannot find anyone that's actually done this, and I'm not sure how big a project it is. I know I'm going to have to cut the plastic that holds the storage area below the stereo. However, once that's removed, what holds the new double din in place? Do I buy a third party frame that holds it? If so, has anyone done this, does it fit well, and does it look good? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!
You can get dash kits to install with your aftermarket head unit. Check crutchfield, ebay or amazon. If none of those have them bestbuy should.

Last edited by Joseph Donovan; 11-27-2018 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-27-2018, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ALL MLs, did they not all have oem double din stereo systems to start with?
How did you end up with a single din? Sounds like it was replaced with a single din stereo.
Photos?

I'd goto a pick'n pull and take the center console cover and assembly and transplant it back into your ML430.
What holds the double din in place is the frame behind the center console face plate

So why go with an outdated oem doubled din? Plenty on crutchfield at reasonable prices with more bells and whistles.

Last edited by khomer2; 11-27-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C230
Originally Posted by khomer2
Correct me if I'm wrong, but ALL MLs, did they not all have oem double din stereo systems to start with?
How did you end up with a single din? Sounds like it was replaced with a single din stereo.
Photos?

I'd goto a pick'n pull and take the center console cover and assembly and transplant it back into your ML430.
What holds the double din in place is the frame behind the center console face plate

So why go with an outdated oem doubled din? Plenty on crutchfield at reasonable prices with more bells and whistles.
a lot of of the first gen ML's had single DIN radios before getting the Command upgrade
Old 11-28-2018, 12:41 AM

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
'22 GLE 350 | '15 ML250 | '87 560SL | '19 GLC 300 | '12 C250 (sold) | '02 ML500 | '98 C230
it's very easy if you take your time -- I did a full swap on my 02 ML500 but it had the double din already, and I had the Bose system + amp and made it all work (by deleting the amp and a LOT of splicing).* Anyways -- here's a very helpful DIY.* Honestly, since you don't have the Bose FO system like I did, do yourself a favor a buy a VX7020 or similar model and replace the 20 year old tech you're thinking about with a Command unit.**