M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Goodbye... I'm RID of my 01 ML430!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-11-2002, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500, 2001 ML430
Goodbye... I'm RID of my 01 ML430!

At last, I'll be able to sleep at night. Traded my lemon 01 ML430 for an Acura MDX. So, I doubt i'll have the problems i had with my ML, such as:

- failed ignition coil at 12000 miles
- failed fuel pump at 23,000 miles
- rear rotors and pads gone at 21,000 miles
- front pads gone at 18,000
- cracked C-pillar trim pieces on either side of hatch
- broken glove compartment hinge... twice

I could go on, but i'm going to celebrate getting rid of this piece of crap, and relish the thought of NEVER buying another MB in my life. I still have a 02 S500 (had a 01 S500, and MB had to replace it under threat of lemon law). So far, so good on the S500... but again...MB will NEVER get a cent of my money.

Good luck to those on this board who continue to share their experiences!
Old 04-18-2002, 02:16 PM

2000 ML 430
Misery loves company...

I am experiencing similar problems. I feel your pain. this is my 3rd (and last) MB.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:15 PM

'00 ML430 & '02 Porsche 996
I'm giving mine one last chance...

Because I figure as it's already had all of the usual ML problems - it's not likely to break down again, mind you that's what I said just after the alternator failed (bearing broke) and before the battery went high impedance...
Once more though and it's history..... Then I'll probably breathe a sigh of relieve.

Tim in San Diego
Old 04-22-2002, 12:05 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB S500, 2001 BMW 4.4L X5, 2001 BMW M-Coupe
Yikes...sorry to hear that about the MB lemons. Both the ML and the S hu?

So how do you like the MDX vs the ML? Here's the pictures of my modified X5. Check this out...I think you'll like it.

http://www.dmewired.com/albumgarage/....cfm?viewid=35
Old 04-22-2002, 12:14 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 MB S500, 2001 BMW 4.4L X5, 2001 BMW M-Coupe
Oh, look at page 2 on my album. You'll get a good look of the car with painted trims. How do you like it?
Old 04-25-2002, 04:32 AM

ML 320
Sorry you had trouble. Sounds like you have alot of bad luck as you already have gotten rid of one vehicle under the lemon law. Most people who own their Mercedes, including the M-Class, completely love them.

The MDX and ML are very different vehicles. It is not as luxurious, does not have stability control and other safety features of the ML, and is really meant for driving around in the subburbs. (really can't take it off-road) And dont try to tow with it if you don't add the coolers. It also requires alot more scheduled maintenance (not included) than the ML, so it does not eliminate your visits to dealer even if you don't have problems with it.

Last edited by qtopcatz; 04-25-2002 at 04:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:30 AM

M3 Cab
Originally posted by qtopcatz
The MDX and ML are very different vehicles. It is not as luxurious, does not have stability control and other safety features of the ML, and is really meant for driving around in the subburbs.
i found my friends MDX to have a more luxurious interior than my grandparents ml430, better quality and feel of plastics and softer leather; overall better integrated edit:c0ckpit and the seats didn't hurt my back. the MDX was much quieter as well. MDX is great value for price, hope it turns out to be more reliable than the ml.

Last edited by oresama99; 04-30-2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-30-2002, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Re: Goodbye... I'm RID of my 01 ML430!

Originally posted by olneymd
At last, I'll be able to sleep at night. Traded my lemon 01 ML430 for an Acura MDX. So, I doubt i'll have the problems i had with my ML, such as:

I could go on, but i'm going to celebrate getting rid of this piece of crap, and relish the thought of NEVER buying another MB in my life. I still have a 02 S500 (had a 01 S500, and MB had to replace it under threat of lemon law). So far, so good on the S500... but again...MB will NEVER get a cent of my money.

A sad day indeed, when MB loses a loyal customer due to so many disappointments.

My "other" car is a RSX-S, my second ACURA, maintenance-free for 100,000 miles, except for oil changes, tires etc.

These cars are flawless. Good luck with the MDX.
Old 05-09-2002, 01:26 PM

Mercedes ML430
suprising problems for me.

I have a '00 ML430. The pads are gone on the rear after 18k miles, and front ones are gone after 24k miles. This is normal tear and wear. I have had other cars with similar wear, this is a little bit too early but I can live with that. Brake pad replacement is so easy, takes 30 minutes on one axle I don't mind it. The pad should be cheaper, aftermarket will solve the price problem once they start making them. I would love to use the MINTEX pads as they are really good and have a lot less dust, and a same time braking power is same if not better then most OEM pads.

I also use my ML as a working truck, I tow, I haul, I drive fast (over 90mph if I can...) and 2 people using it every day, so different style, different methods are applied. This is also matters belive me.

here is my opinion on your problems :

Ignition coil problems are weird, the ML uses individual coils for each cylinder and therefore they are supposed to be superior and excellent quality. I have never heard of failure yet, but one question : Did you wash the engine bay often ? sometimes water can cause rust and that would damage the ignition coils connectors.

Fuel pump failure - also no problem on mine, but this is really is lemon, as it should last a lot longer. Again, dirty fuel can cause premature fuel pump problems, even one or two filthy gas can block the strainer and then eventually burn the pump motor.

Cracked C pillar moldings, usually cracks are due to phisical damage, no idea what happend there.

Glovebox hinge, I agree those hinges are weak, I barely open mine, but they look very weak to me. Maybe a new desgin or replacement peice will be better quality.

My problems :
- transmission harsh shifting , actually it is a torque converter engage problem, they reset the codes in the memory, solved it for now, but probably will be an issue later. I use the ML for towing and under heavy load it happens more often then before. Once you hit a gas pedal, it bumps instead of the smooth take-off. COnverter does not builds up the pressure evenly and this causing a sudden start. not really a trouble but bad feeling and should be addressed.

- armrest/center storage lid - I sweat a lot, (South FLorida living) as we have a weak A/c system in the ML (until 2002 model year we had a single weak unit) and therefore when I put my arm on the armrest it is wet. the vinyl cover become loose because of the heat and sweat, they replced it under warranty, now I clean my arm before enter to the car. SHould be better quality but if they would make it hard as other cheap cars have, wouldn't be confortable then. So it is something I have to be careful and avoid contact until my arm is wet.

- driver side door window switch fault - replaced under warranty, a switch microconnectors died, the switches are weak in the car. they feel weak, they look weak and they are weak. I also use that one a lot, (toll-boths) therefore I knew this wil be the first one to go.

- broken fuse box lid. under service they replaced the washer tank, and managed to brake off the small clip from a fuse box lid. Too close and hard to reach, should have been more clearance. The washer tank leaked according to them, I never noticed it.

- A/C condenser fan - I had a strange thing going on for a week, the a/c would start working after 40-50 seconds of start instead of immidiately. I thought it is a sensor, but htey said it was an a/c condenser fan motor, which was also replaced.

- rear tailgate door squeek - it needed an adjustment on the door, they replaced the seal, new one is thicker, so it is solved. Now I have to literally shut the door to make it close perefectly.

that's all and after having a Range Rover I can say one thing, the ML is superior with all the problems compare to Land Rover. Until you own one, you don't know what a lemon is !!!

Try this : at 46k miles the following had been replaced/fixed :
- transmission - at 20k
- CV axle on right side - 19k
- A/C control module in dash - 41k
- A/C compressor - 34k
- A/C solenoid sensor - 34k
- Brake booster - 38k
- AIr suspension spring - 46k
- exhaust pipe and muffler - 44k
- valve cover gasket - 17k and 38k
- "A" pillar molding - 35k (they lost their carpeting...)
- hood release lever - 45k
- air compressor bushings - 22k and 41k
- rear tailgate light - 38k (broke by shutting the tailgate down)
- front main seal - 13k , 28k, 38k miles
- rear main seal - 28k miles
- transmission rear seal - 38k
- air spring pipe - numerous times
- rear view mirror - 35k (the liquid got loose in the mirror)
- gauge molding - broke becase of faulty design and heat, new also will brake after 30k miles according to dealer !!!
- washer nozzles - they are not strong enough, so needed to change them to a better aftermarket/BMW design
- Spark Plug wire set - 40k miles, they were faulty , maybe from the start ???
- the truck leaked all kinds of a fluids all the time, no matter what we did. Best gas mileage on highway was 16.4 in city 14.3 normally avegare was under 13.5mpg. the truck was slow and weak brakes, very confortable, but painfully slow.

I also did many other things that is not documented, so I can not remember when and how it was fixed. Brakes lasted about the same as onn the ML and pads were just as expensive 100-140/pad and I also later used aftermarket pads ! They were 78.99 versus OEM 144.00 so about half the price. Braking not improved, not get any worse, but ai saved 70usd
bad truck, very bad truck, although m,y wife loved it , I hated it !
I love the ML, fast and quick, has a problem like any other car/truck but so far all that I can live with it. I like the big trunk area, towing capacity, engine, etc. I hate the weak A/C and the switches, they really under the MB minimum standard if you ask me.

about your new vehicle, Acura/Honda MDX. Since it is a Honda, quality is not a problem, but that is one ugly SUV/SAV whatever they call it. I hate the look, and does not looks like a strong truck style SUV so for me it is out of a range. I do hate US made trucks too, all has columns shift except cherokee and gr cherokee, but they both very bad quality too. Expensive as the grand cherokee, since 99 they completely redesigned the truck 3 times already , because of the production problems. I'm in a parts business so I knew it, and refuse to buy it ever.
Old 05-10-2002, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Re: suprising problems for me.

Originally posted by Laszlo
that's all and after having a Range Rover I can say one thing, the ML is superior with all the problems compare to Land Rover. Until you own one, you don't know what a lemon is !!!

Try this : at 46k miles the following had been replaced/fixed :
- transmission - at 20k
- CV axle on right side - 19k
- A/C control module in dash - 41k
- A/C compressor - 34k
- A/C solenoid sensor - 34k
- Brake booster - 38k
- AIr suspension spring - 46k
- exhaust pipe and muffler - 44k
- valve cover gasket - 17k and 38k
- "A" pillar molding - 35k (they lost their carpeting...)
- hood release lever - 45k
- air compressor bushings - 22k and 41k
- rear tailgate light - 38k (broke by shutting the tailgate down)
- front main seal - 13k , 28k, 38k miles
- rear main seal - 28k miles
- transmission rear seal - 38k
- air spring pipe - numerous times
- rear view mirror - 35k (the liquid got loose in the mirror)
- gauge molding - broke becase of faulty design and heat, new also will brake after 30k miles according to dealer !!!
- washer nozzles - they are not strong enough, so needed to change them to a better aftermarket/BMW design
- Spark Plug wire set - 40k miles, they were faulty , maybe from the start ???
- the truck leaked all kinds of a fluids all the time, no matter what we did. Best gas mileage on highway was 16.4 in city 14.3 normally avegare was under 13.5mpg. the truck was slow and weak brakes, very confortable, but painfully slow.

I also did many other things that is not documented, so I can not remember when and how it was fixed. Brakes lasted about the same as onn the ML and pads were just as expensive 100-140/pad and I also later used aftermarket pads ! They were 78.99 versus OEM 144.00 so about half the price. Braking not improved, not get any worse, but ai saved 70usd
bad truck, very bad truck, although m,y wife loved it , I hated it !
Laszlo:

What was the model year of the champion Range Rover? Whew...

Was is during the BMW or Ford ownership?
Old 05-10-2002, 10:06 AM

Mercedes ML430
Range Rover 4.0SE

This was a 1996 Range ROver 4.0SE purchased in 1996 July and sold to me on 1998 May. The service list of that short 2 years were 4 pages ! My torture strated after that, and lasted on other two years, until 2000 July, when I finally gave up. So many things, so little time. I was afraid to leave the city area. I got towed only once, when at only 39k miles, the serpentine belt broke and destroyed the hood insulator (125.00USD) and needed a new belt (35USD) the install was a quick 45 minutes for everything.

I have talked to other people in the Land ROver launge at the local dealership and most of them had same or similar experience. There was a guy with a 2000 RR 4.6HSE limited edition and he said the car is 5 months old and he managed to put only 2k miles into the car since it is in the shop constantly with different problems. He was ready for lemon but wanted an another one !!! SOme people love the look and feel of a RR. I liked that too, very confortable, but a piece of **** car if you ask me.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:30 PM

Thats why I bought an ML.....

Coming from the UK I know all about the RR and how great & troublesome they can be in equal amounts. Hence I bought a new '00 ML430 - but boy was I in for a shock. It's now 2 1/2 years old with 31,000 careful miles, but has had over 20 warranty repairs - and I'm not talking minor cosmetic stuff either.
Interestingly all but one problem has been electrical.
However for the past 2 months or so its been trouble free, this is about the longest period its gone without something failing (fingers crossed).
Still another year or so (assuming it keeps going ok now), then it gets traded and alas it won't be for another MB product...

Tim in San Diego
Old 05-10-2002, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Tim in San Diego:

That is shocking to have 18 warranty jobs on the electrical components! What was the nature? The most expensive failed component?

How do you like the 2002 Porsche? I had a downpayment on one, but changed my mind and bought a new 2001 SL500. Big mistake!

The 2001 SL500 lasted only three months because it was more in the shop -- than I care to remember; - mostly for electrical component failures:
Faulty oil level sensor, faulty gas level sending unit, faulty courtesy visor contacts, burnt out lights. It flexed like a pancake.

Love the 2002 CLK55 AMG. Best car I've ever owned!
Old 05-10-2002, 11:24 PM

Mercedes ML430
SL500 Flexed ? Hmm, interesting...

you guys are either very unlucky with an ML and SL or I have been lucky. The only car I hated and also had so much trouble is the RR. I have a 00 ML430 and as I said I drive it hard and strong. Towing, hauling, long drives, fast drives you name it all ! I have been pulling a trailer with about 2000lbs on the trailer (plus trailer weight) and about 500-600lbs in a truck, plus 2 passenger incl me as a driver. I was doing 80-90 mph on a highway and the piece on the trailer was a large object, acted like a big sail. I managed to get a horrofying 11.3mpg average on hwy but hey I made the time and got it down in perfect shape. No trouble with a truck, love it. I'd love to try the ML500 should be even better.

I also own a BMW 8 series, 840ci exactly, no trouble at all except a few small stuff such as washer pump died once, next day was working again, died again,but since there is two pump I was never out of stuff, had it replaced at the next service. No trouble for 4 years on that car. I also have only 41k miles though.

My other car the BMW Z1 is an another story, but that is a 12 y/o car imported from europe and that's a classic piece, I hardly ever drive it, so that is not counts.

A Mercedes should be better quality then what I hear. The 2002 SL500 is absolutely beautiful car and I also hear that very fast and fascinating. I'd love to try that one out.

The other nice MB is the CL500 or even better the CL55 AMG whoich is one of the prettiest car I have ever seen. Expensive but trully an awesome machine. I do not like the dashboard though, but nothing is perfect in this world.

How do you guys like the AUdi A8 ? I loved it back then in 1995 when it was all new, now it gets a little dated lookking, specially inside. The A6 is an ugly mobile, that butt doesn't cut it for me, so same goes for the new A4 although thet get it better shape then A6. The A8 should be in the market soon. Audi does not jumped on the SUV Wagon like most everybody did, even Porsche with a Chayanne, so they are the unique company now. As the matter of fact, no VW SUV either ! No Skoda, No Seat SUV. Not a single SUV/SAV from that family has entered the US yet, Porsche will be the pioneer. I most doubtly hate the fact that Porsche will make an SUV. why ???? What is the purpose of that ? Making money ? Well, design a new coupe or 4 door family porsche, or a new lightweight 911, or anything but an SUV. Imitations and wanna be's are filling the market. BMW X5 called an SAV, I call it a SIB - Sorry I Bought it, less cargo space then a 3 series, more money then a 5 series wagon. What is the purpose of that ? sitting high and having a weight of 2 normal car ? if you need to haul stuff, buy a 5 wagon or ML, if you need a big car buy a 7 or S class, if you need to spend money on silly things, buy a 5 and a Boxster or Z3 or even a Mazda Miata...

just my opinion.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:31 PM

A shortened list....

Hi Karl,
I love my 996 and the after sales service has been great - it needed a new tranny at 5000 miles as it was leaking oil. Strangely enough the tranny is made by MB (it's a tiptronic) - maybe I'm just destined to have trouble with anything made by MB :-(
Strangely from your post maybe the SL500 is also afflicted with electrical gremlins ?

Anyway, with the ML I've had the following parts fails without warning (all replaced at least once under warranty). Can't really put them in cost order.

Battery (went open circuit)
Alternator (bearing failed)
O2 Sensor failed
Fuel pump failed
Doors locks went into machine gun mode
Front passenger seat electric motion system failed
Front window switches failed
Rear window switches fell apart
Remote entry system failed 6 times
MCS Navigation system failed
BAS ESP warning lights lit up for no good reason

We treat the ML very carefully and are never rough with it or go off road - we've had quite a few cosmetic problems (which we can live with), but when major items fail without warning, it tends to make you wary ....

Tim in San Diego

Last edited by timf; 05-10-2002 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-10-2002, 11:45 PM

Mercedes ML430
ML on the rough life :-)

Maybe thats a problem. Take the ML as a truck (it is a truck) so handle it rough and give it some hard times. I service my cars very carefully, oils, various fluids, I use always factory or factory approved items, fluid, parts. But I do use them as they intended to be used. I take my ML to Off road and yes, I do beat the living creep out of them, bu twithin the normal limitations. You have to know your and your cars limitations. The window switches are weak, I agree, they should have been redesigned in a '00 model freshening process. The fuel pumps are also troubel makers, I just heard the second one to fail. Battery ? Hmm, not MB make, so could be a true lemon battery.

****ty story for a pampered truck... if mine would have been that bad, I would hate the truck. Right now I love it !

sorry for the bad luck, maybe the dealer should give you a lemon-trade ?
Old 05-11-2002, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Re: Range Rover 4.0SE

Originally posted by Laszlo
This was a 1996 Range ROver 4.0SE purchased in 1996 July and sold to me on 1998 May. The service list of that short 2 years were 4 pages ! My torture strated after that, and lasted on other two years, until 2000 July, when I finally gave up. So many things, so little time. I was afraid to leave the city area. I got towed only once, when at only 39k miles, the serpentine belt broke and destroyed the hood insulator (125.00USD) and needed a new belt (35USD) the install was a quick 45 minutes for everything.

I have talked to other people in the Land ROver launge at the local dealership and most of them had same or similar experience. There was a guy with a 2000 RR 4.6HSE limited edition and he said the car is 5 months old and he managed to put only 2k miles into the car since it is in the shop constantly with different problems. He was ready for lemon but wanted an another one !!! SOme people love the look and feel of a RR. I liked that too, very confortable, but a piece of **** car if you ask me.
I just found this at EDMUNDS. NOT good for RR:

"As much as we liked the Range Rover, we can't ignore the fact that Land Rover products have
been plagued with a reputation for unreliability and poor build quality. However, six years of
BMW ownership (from 1994 to 2000) and now operating under the Ford banner (it bought
Land Rover in 2000) should improve Land Rover quality substantially. Look what Ford did for
that other legendary British marque, Jaguar, which suffered miserable quality control and
customer satisfaction until Ford made it glorious and dependable again. "

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...3/article.html
Old 10-09-2006, 05:56 PM

I have 2001 ML 430 (purchased brand new) and I had the same problems as you list below. I probably traded this crap with Lexus SUV, but ESP/BAS lit every time I hit the brake and stay, on also there is no brake light. I just cannot believe that they build such a crappy car.

Originally Posted by olneymd

Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Rachena
I have 2001 ML 430 (purchased brand new) and I had the same problems as you list below. I probably traded this crap with Lexus SUV, but ESP/BAS lit every time I hit the brake and stay, on also there is no brake light. I just cannot believe that they build such a crappy car.
No brake light?
Old 10-25-2006, 12:33 AM

Tim!!

Originally Posted by timf
Hi Karl,
I love my 996 and the after sales service has been great - it needed a new tranny at 5000 miles as it was leaking oil. Strangely enough the tranny is made by MB (it's a tiptronic) - maybe I'm just destined to have trouble with anything made by MB :-(
Strangely from your post maybe the SL500 is also afflicted with electrical gremlins ?

Anyway, with the ML I've had the following parts fails without warning (all replaced at least once under warranty). Can't really put them in cost order.

Battery (went open circuit)
Alternator (bearing failed)
O2 Sensor failed
Fuel pump failed
Doors locks went into machine gun mode
Front passenger seat electric motion system failed
Front window switches failed
Rear window switches fell apart
Remote entry system failed 6 times
MCS Navigation system failed
BAS ESP warning lights lit up for no good reason

We treat the ML very carefully and are never rough with it or go off road - we've had quite a few cosmetic problems (which we can live with), but when major items fail without warning, it tends to make you wary ....

Tim in San Diego
Hey Tim did you end up fixing the machine gun locks on your ML because I'm having the same problem with mine and the bas esp lights too, have you found a fix???
Old 10-25-2006, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
*Cracked C pillar*

My Ml430 also has a cracked C-pillar. Any idea how this might have happened? I believe it was there when I bought the truck used. Is it possible the C-pillar cracked in some type of accident?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 AM

ML430, Mini Cooper S and Porsche 911 Twin Turbo
Jdogg

The machine gun door locks were fixed under warranty - new lock mechanism as I recall.

As for the ESP/BAs problem - that might be your brake switch. I wrote up a DIY on how to change it. Search the other benz forum for keywords "brake switch"

Good luck Tim
Old 10-25-2006, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally Posted by Stiggs
*Cracked C pillar*

My Ml430 also has a cracked C-pillar. Any idea how this might have happened? I believe it was there when I bought the truck used. Is it possible the C-pillar cracked in some type of accident?
Happened on alot of ML's. I believe its a overlay piece that can be swapped out easily.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
guys dont feel bad, My ml is in the shop 24/7. I think my real car is a silver c240 loner car. I bought it BRAND new with 3 miles. 3!!!. i decided to drive out to the hamptons that day and my check engine light comes on. The first day i bought it , it was being towed back to the dealer to get fixed. My bas esp lights come on every time i drive it. Recently my emergeny brake light comes on while i'm driving down the highway. I brought the car in for a recall, and the next day the part they replaced breaks. I was playing around with the tip tronic one day and the car was stuck in 2nd gear. My srs light and airbag off light comes on every once in a while. Oh yea, i adv 12.2 mpg on the highway. I cry when i drive in the city. I get 8. I honestly think a abrams tank gets better mpg.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML320, Looking for my S4
forgot to mention i have a 200 ML 320. It also broke down due to a crank sensor. It brokw down when i went to pick up my dad after his kemo teatment. In the middle of winter i was driving outa a parking garage and my driver side window dont go up. I found that cute. 20F weather driving 65 down the highway for 15 miles. and i saved every receipt that i got from the dealer. I have a a stack thats about 4in thick. No joke I'll take some pictures and show you guys. I used to think saying that you have all the records on the car was a good thing. If i say that stack i'm run for my life. I truely am dissiopoined in that car. 50K. every option. all the chrome. black open paint with pinstripes. Its sad to say the most reliable thing on the car is the fact that it will do 3 things perfectly. Rust bust and collect dust.