M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Getting Better ( New Purchase )

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Range Rover
Getting Better ( New Purchase )

Out of 4 ML'sI have had, they have all been extremely reliable. Two of them were bought brand new and the other two were not but they all went to about 150-160k miles without any major issues. I think one had a crankshaft position sensor issue and I had one other that had a MAF issue and literally that was it. Guess I have been lucky. Or, all the mechanical issues I had were waiting for this one moment.

After being bored on the Internet, I found a 2005 ML350 special edition for a really good price. After seeing a few marks and issues I managed to get a few more dollars off and after some paperwork it was mine. But boy oh boy, I didnt realize just how many issues there were.Taken about two weeks but I think most of the issues are now taken care of.

1. Power Steering Pump Replaced
2. Power Steering Return Hose Replaced
3. Catalytic converter Replaced
4. Lots of Mercedes touch up paint, clay bars, and buffing. I am guessing this thing lived its life in a busy parking lot.
5. Transmission Filter Change
6. Transmission Electrical connector change
7. Transmission Fluid change (I was scared doing this with 140k and no history but was definitely worth it. )
8. Leather treatment ( Every ML I have had has used MB TEX, This ML actually had real leather and you can smell the difference) surprisingly there is not even a scratch or wear anywhere. Was just super dirty.
9.Exhaust Hangers
10. Mounts
11. Brakes Blead
12. All new matching tires, I went with 245/65/17. They are a bit cheaper, bit taller, and look really good IMO. Not sure why but not only where tires bad, but mismatched sized before. Made driving erratic.
13. Low range repair, never been used so was stuck. harmer and couple of tries and it works perfectly now.
14. Most fluids changed except coolant. Only one that hasn't been done yet.
15. Headlights Polished

And thats it so far. it has taken quite a bit of effort but now it rides and feels brand new. There are just a few things I need to work on.
1. Need remote locking, only have Valet key. (red light this was a repo without even looking at the carfax) and the mismatched tires was a clear sign of neglect before. (Did I mention I bought the car for a great price)
2. Need to find the rear tow cover
3. Need the front bumper insert grille
4. Navigation DVD does not spin at all, Radio and changer work fine though.
5.Want to add bluetooth functionality to factory radio. My 2001 had this but it came with the v60 phone so it was easy to just install a puck. Going to need a little more work here.
6.Wish I had the special edition floormats. some rubber crap is in there now but they look perfect with zero scuffs. might just leave it alone
7.Tint the side windows to match the back.

So far the total with 139k miles on this thing is that I am in this with all the work done above at about $4,000 so far. and that everything . Purchase price of the Car, Taxes, Registration, repairs ,everything. I never had a late model ML and wow, i must same I am really impressed. I really like the special edition and all the little touches it has but mostly the real leather is what amazes me. Glad to be back

Last edited by vmystikilv; 12-31-2017 at 04:31 AM.