M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

98 ML320 Headlight Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML320 (1998)
98 ML320 Headlight Upgrade

Looked at the last year of posts to the older W163 forum, and did not see any recent discussion. For other models, mostly discussion about changing to LED or HID from halogen for relatively new vehicles with pre-existing projector-type systems.

I really like the multi-LED projector headlights in the 2016 Honda Accord I just bought my daughter and the projector HIDs in my wife’s 2011 Honda Odyssey and son’s 2013 Hyundai Genesis. Extremely even lighting, sharp cut off to keep from blinding oncoming traffic, while still projecting quite a bit farther than my 1998 ML320 reflector-type headlight assembly. I also like the whiter, 5-6000 K color temperature of the newer light. Long ago I replaced the stock halogen bulb with one that is a little brighter and whiter at the cost of lower bulb life, but the difference was minimal and certainly nothing like the other vehicles in the family.

I’ve looked at several different websites selling HID and LED kits after inputting my make, model, and year. Some owners of older vehicles say that putting and HID or LED in a reflector headlight assembly is a big mistake as it blinds oncoming traffic.

I am looking for owner experience with retrofitting either HID or LED to the OEM reflector assembly, good and bad experiences appreciated. Also would like to hear if anyone has replaced the reflector assemblies with projectors

I can afford to replace the whole lighting assembly and put in projector lenses if this will give the best chance of being satisfied. However, I am not handy and would likely have to have the local, independent Mercedes maintenance shop do the work. So, if its possible just replacing the bulbs with HID or LED would be satisfactory, that would be optimal. I don’t want to spend a ton, as it’s possible a serious problem could arise on my ML320 with 167,000 miles that would not be economical to fix. But, I am loyal to it and could see driving it for another 5-10 years as long as the engine and electrical systems don’t give me trouble. The paint looks great, everything works, I am happy with the updated headunit with BlueTooth. I am even considering upgrading the headunit again to get wireless, Apple Car Play. I do little long distance driving, only drive to work and back about 15 miles total daily with an occasional trip to Home Depot and the grocery store in a town of 40,000. Much of my driving is at 50 mph on the loop around town, so I assume the engine has had an easier life than many 20 year old SUVs.

I have read from some posts that HIDs may be preferrable to LED for headlights as the HIDs give a more even light. I also understand that the HIDs tend to be brighter and project farther in practice for the same lumen rating. This has also been shown in the retrofit aircraft landing lignt systems, where I chose to go with HID for a landing light despite the much greater cost, requirement for mounting a ballast, and potential for radio noise while the LED was plug and play.

Thanks for your input.