M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Test Drives

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GT-R
Test Drives

My girlfriend is looking for an SUV, and this past weekend we did a test drive with an ’05 ML500, ’04 Acura MDX, and ’04 Lexus RX330. Originally, we only intended on looking at the MB and Acura since she loves her Acura CL and the service at Acura, and I wanted to look at the ML. Since the Lexus dealership was nearby, we stopped in there at the end of the day.
I was disappointed with the ML. The ride really felt a lot like a truck which I didn’t expect, and it did not have a plush feeling to it that I have come to expect from MB. Also, it was lacking in cool gadgets, but at least it did have the DVD based Navigation. I asked about the ML55, since I really like the performance/handling of my C32. There is just a huge night and day difference between the C32 and the standard C-Class, but the salesman claims that MB no longer makes the ML55. Is that true? I noticed our sales guy was not really on the ball, and had difficulty explaining basic features in the ML, so it would not surprise me if he was wrong.
The Acura MDX with voice control Navigation was nice, and I think that she was just about sold on it. I especially liked the rear view camera, but they claimed HID or bi-Xenon headlights were not available because the MDX sits too high off the ground, which sounds odd to me, but once again, this sales guy was new and was probably making stuff up because he really didn’t know. Right before we left, the sales manager came by, and I asked him about the NSX. He said that Acura is planning to either lower the cost of the NSX to compete with the Corvette market, or raise it to compete with the Ferrari market. Either way, they were planning changes with NSX; most likely they are going to increase power and speed.
What we were really impressed with most was the Lexus. It had the best ride/feel (most comfortable seats of the 3 SUVs that we drove) with all the features of the Acura except the voice controlled Navigation and 3rd row seating (standard on Acura and $1500+ option on MB.) Also, a smart thing that Lexus did was have an option of a different stereo system. I hate Bose, and somehow they managed to slither their sorry-***-stereo-wannabe-crap into all the higher end cars. The Mark Levinson system was refreshing to hear, and really is a much higher quality system. The Lexus also had Xenon headlights which makes a difference to me since I love my bi-Xenons on my C32. The biggest problem for me with Lexus is that all their vehicles are underpowered. They are claiming in the future that they are going to fix that by starting with the IS300 to get it to compete with the C32 and M3. So now, since we have managed to see/drive MB, Acura, and Lexus, I would like to go ahead try the BMW X5 since that’s really all that’s left that she would consider. Too bad the ML was so disappointing. I was expecting more.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
it is true that the ML55 is no longer in production. Last year for the ML55 was '02 or '03?

They are waiting on the new V8 to be dropped into the next generation ML's so that the next ML55 will be better than the last one.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
true.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

RLP, were you just ranting? or is there a question in there somewhere? (besides about 55)
Old 05-13-2004, 09:00 AM

2009 GT-R
Just making some general observations. I really did not know about the ML55 though. I was also just curious what everyone else thought about the other SUV's out there.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:57 PM

SUV's

We have been waiting and testing many of the SUV's you mentioned. While I am the Acura fan in our house and my wife the MB fan I was not impressed with the handling of the MDX. The MDX was nice but it is built on the Honda Pilot/Passport chasis and handles similar to a mini-van. The ML handles like a car/truck, but the issue for us is that the ML has a pretty bad reputation for reliability and longevity and MB is changing the ML either in 05 or at latest 06. The BMW drove the best so far, very good handling and performance, but they too have many service issues... Another SUV to check out is the VW Toureg, they are having some issues that I am hoping are worked out with the 05 model and the gas mpg.
Good Luck
Old 05-13-2004, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
IMO, engineering is MB's best strong point, as well as safety. The ML is one of the safest SUV's out there (also one of the best for rollover protection). Mainly the electronics in current MB's are the bugs that need to be worked out...as far as engine and longevity, MB engines will keep going and going. It's the things that work with the engine that fail, but I believe MB is going to have those things worked out in the very near future.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:28 PM

1997 E420
CHeck out the X3 3.0. A guy that I work with just picked one up and it truly has sports car handling. Slightly stiffer ride than the Lexus but in my opinion worth it.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by gstigler
CHeck out the X3 3.0. A guy that I work with just picked one up and it truly has sports car handling. Slightly stiffer ride than the Lexus but in my opinion worth it.
its based on a car chassis, thats why.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by GDawgC220
MB engines will keep going and going. It's the things that work with the engine that fail, .
huh?
Old 05-13-2004, 11:53 PM

Fiscal Neo Con Express
when you compare these suv's you have to keep in mind
that each one is designed to some degree with it's own
specific flavor or purpose.

the lexus....is based on the corolla
platform and is meant to appeal more to women and someone who is never going to drive on anything other than pavement.

the acura is based off of the acura minivan and is pretty much the same as the lexus but also be a little more sporty.

the bmw is the all out sport oriented suv with limited space but terrific handling. a 5 series with awd.

the ML is a frame on body. that enables the ML to be used in rougher environments. it is the oldest design of the bunch and the suv that started the mid size luxury suv segement.

the toureg is out of this bunch the most capable all around vehicle. mainly because it is the newest but it is also i believe the largest.

so it depends on what your looking for. for me the bmw is attractive but to small...the lexus is to femine and no v8....the acura has to much cheap plastic on the doors and dash and no v8...the ml is starting to show its age....the tourgeg is a vw and might not hold its value well.

in the end....i would probably buy another ml...i like the fact that it has a frame and i could be wrong here but it feels safe as can be and solid as rock. it's the one i would want my family if they were to ever get in an accident.

just my 2 cents
Old 05-14-2004, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by S55inPA

it feels safe as can be and solid as rock. it's the one i would want my family if they were to ever get in an accident.

just my 2 cents
im a 100% with you.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:09 PM

2003 ML320
My my fiance and I went to look for an SUV we picked the ML for a number of important reasons.

For us we wanted to reduce the number of cars we have. She had a 2wd 2002 Ford Escape and I had a 01 VW GTI and a 98 Jeep Cherokee with 4" lift.

I had deciced to sell VW as redundant and figured I could also sell the Jeep and her Escape IF we could replace it with some that could be taken off-road. I could not trust the Escape since it's oil pan was right where a skid plate should be and would be the FIRST thing to hit a rock. Not confiedence inspiring. Anyway In my searches I needed find something that was smooth and car like enough for my Fiancee to drive it as it would be "her" car and tough enough to down dirt roads and over med size rocks to camping spots and mountain bike trailheads.

Well that left the picking small since alot of SUV's today are just lifted cars. We looked at the Land Rover Freelander and did not like it. Too small, not enough underbody protection, and serious relability issues.

We looked at the Nissan Pathfinder and consider a 4runner. Ok, but nothing special.

Then we realized we could afford a used newer ML320. Looked and liked alot.

I never evenconsidered the Acura or Lexus because those are just cars or minivans. I'd have NO CONFIDENCE off-road. So we found a nice ML and got that. My fiancee loves it and it think it nice on the road and I can trust it enough off-road to make viable.

We thought about the Toureg, but they were out of our price range since there are few 1-2 year gently used examples out there yet!

Personally I despise any SUV that I don't have the confidence to do a little off-roading . I don't expect Jeep like capabilities, but better that most of these crap jacked up cars coming out these days. Better to get stationwagon for the stuff those things are good for.

Last edited by JoePaluch; 05-14-2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
some people have taken their ML's off-roading such as the Rubicon. There was a site with pics of a bunch of ML's doing it...looks really fun, just gotta take it slow. but the ML is capable of doing it, just take your time. People think the ML can't handle off road conditions cuz it's a luxury SUV, but quite the opposite
Old 05-14-2004, 04:16 PM

2003 ML320
Well yes one went through the Rubicon trail. Needed mucho help. I saw the site. I have no hopes in my mind that it will in any way equal my 98 Cherokee with 31" tires and 4.5" lift.

Not a chance, but I was not using all that capability anyway. So sell her and get something cable of what I was going to do. Light off-road with minor rock hopping mostly to campsites trail heads and stuff. I found my jeep to be overkill for most of them so the ML will do fine and be much more comfortable on the way there and back.

This weekend's plan ... Install trailer hitch so I can put my bike rack on it so I can take the ML mountain biking. I could put the bike in the back, but hate to get it dirty yet.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:17 PM

1997 E420
Joe,
I sympatize with you and your views on car like SUV's. The fact of the matter is that you are the exception to the rule in using your SUV off-road. A few years ago they reported that 95% of SUV's never leave the road. I would bet that number is even higher today. My wife has an explorer and the only time it leaves the road is when I see a spontaneous opportuinity. Sad but true.

My point is that the biggest SUV market is for car like SUVs that are essentially minivans without the look or reputation. Of all of them I too favor the Toureg.