M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

End of the Road?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Ml320
End of the Road?

Dear all- id like to thank all the contributors here and especially those that have answered my specific questions on the various bits for my truck.
I am disappointed that my ownership of my w163 is seemingly coming to an end. My truck has relatively few miles (140k) compared to a lot of others on the thread - however it seems it has developed a growing list of major(?) issues

- Truck doesn't blow cold air: I have a hole somewhere that is ingesting foreign debris, supposedly need to replace the a/c condenser, compressor and filter dryer
- radiator cracked - active leak, hoses fouled
- power steering leak - needs pump, j hose and belt replacment (active leak)
- active leak on valve cover gaskets
- main seal leak

In total it would cost me over 10k in repairs from the dealer. I know I should be wary of what the dealer says, but I've confirmed prior to taking it in that I have an active coolant leak and steering pump issue.
I wrenched on the truck, but do not have the skill to do any of these repairs myself. I am going to dump the car and I dont think there is much value in selling privately (no trade in value) - is the best way to get rid of it donating it to some charitable orgainzation for a federal tax credit?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again
Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
why not find an independent shop around you to address the issues for half the price of the stealerships?
Old 01-19-2018, 05:53 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
2015 S550
I faced a similar and even worse situation with my 1999 ML430 with 246k miles. Even at an independent repair shop all the things that had gone bad would have taken $16k+ to fix. It ran but just wasn't safe enough or worth repairing. It had served its purpose so I donated it.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 S600 Designo, 03 SL500, 03 ML500, 2016 E400
Originally Posted by blurrz
Dear all- id like to thank all the contributors here and especially those that have answered my specific questions on the various bits for my truck.
I am disappointed that my ownership of my w163 is seemingly coming to an end. My truck has relatively few miles (140k) compared to a lot of others on the thread - however it seems it has developed a growing list of major(?) issues

- Truck doesn't blow cold air: I have a hole somewhere that is ingesting foreign debris, supposedly need to replace the a/c condenser, compressor and filter dryer
- radiator cracked - active leak, hoses fouled
- power steering leak - needs pump, j hose and belt replacment (active leak)
- active leak on valve cover gaskets
- main seal leak

In total it would cost me over 10k in repairs from the dealer. I know I should be wary of what the dealer says, but I've confirmed prior to taking it in that I have an active coolant leak and steering pump issue.
I wrenched on the truck, but do not have the skill to do any of these repairs myself. I am going to dump the car and I dont think there is much value in selling privately (no trade in value) - is the best way to get rid of it donating it to some charitable orgainzation for a federal tax credit?

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks again
If you're just going to donate it then I would go ahead and try all those magic stop leak additives. Normally I would never recommend those because they ruin the viscosity of the fluid, but might be worth a try if you're out of options.