M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Should I buy a ML or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL500 E320 ML350
Recently purchased an '03 ML350 used with 15K on it. So far so good after an additional 3K. Traded a Range Rover in the deal. If you want a nightmare of an SUV try a RR! Just give the dealer an open purchase order for everything that breaks, burns or quits. They are bigger money pits than a big wooden boat!!
Old 06-01-2004, 02:36 PM

I'm going to join the owner's club pretty soon! I have just dropped deposit for a 2002 ML320.

Desert Silver / Tan, 32K miles, DVD Navigation, remaing warranty 2 years or 18000 miles.

Is $25500 a good price?
Old 06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
hey achen, if you werent interested in my car, you should have just been man enough and said so...instead of saying "oh, im interested, ill definitely let you know after the weekend." im not mad you didnt buy from me, cause obviously it happens, but dont make it seem like you are interested when its obvious you werent from the beginning.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by ahopeter
hey achen, if you werent interested in my car, you should have just been man enough and said so...instead of saying "oh, im interested, ill definitely let you know after the weekend." im not mad you didnt buy from me, cause obviously it happens, but dont make it seem like you are interested when its obvious you werent from the beginning.
ahopeter,

I never said that I am not intrested in your car. Actually I am looking at about 12 (or 13) different ML's at the same time, every car on my list was fairly considered until the last minute before decision was made, yours too. I did what I said - to make decision after the long weekend but I didn't have time to send you a PM about this, I thought you will see it if I post it on this thread.

I know your car has a lot of mods, however I am buying this SUV for pratical use, instead of spending $25500 on a '00 with 38k mi and mods, I think I need to take the same money and use it to get a '02 with 32k mi to enjoy the warranty on this vehicle which has a lot of potential problems. Sorry again and good luck selling your car!

Last edited by achen; 06-02-2004 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
WOW...Mr. Ahopeter actually trying to sell an ML???? I thought this was the greatest machine ever created?? Why would one ever want to unload such a prestigious driving masterpiece? Hmmmmm...I wonder!

John from Boston
Old 06-02-2004, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Enigma869
WOW...Mr. Ahopeter actually trying to sell an ML???? I thought this was the greatest machine ever created?? Why would one ever want to unload such a prestigious driving masterpiece? Hmmmmm...I wonder!

John from Boston
first, in the future dont address me...you have nothing useful to say.

just so other mb enthusiasts and ml'ers can know...i have a 2004 ML500 completely modded out...so i no longer need the other ml. so, i still own another ml, sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55

John from Boston

Dude...if you don't like the ML then don't post here.
You sound like a little baby.
Old 06-02-2004, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML

John from Boston
John, I couldn't hold back this time. Based on all your posts so far, you sound pretty well educated and also come off as pretty well to do. You've always insisted on the fact that you're just expressing your opinions, and, I quote "Once again, those who love the ML, god bless you! I'm thrilled you haven't had the same problems many ML owners have had". I believe that if anyone wishes to get rid of their ML, that's OK, even if it's a dream machine. Unless it's more personal than we all know, I realy don't understand why you came so hard on Ahopeter. The ML is not a great machine, not prestigious, though its got a lot of prestige, and it's not even close to the greatest machine ever created!!! think a 21-speed bike will trump that idea. The ML is simply a poorly assembled, extremely complex electromechanical machine that's guaranteed to work only most of the time. Ahopeter can unload his dream machine whenever he wishes, for whaever reason, that's his option. If you really want to know his reasons, ask him politely and he may tell you. I'm getting rid of mine too - and you'll grin at this - because of the numerous problems I've had witht it, that's my option. My advice to you is this: get rid of you *****&g problematic ML500 (buy another one or get a Cayenne turbo, or some other very expensive SUV) and stick to your comfortably perfect LX4something, or just get into the 500 and drive the hell out of it, maybe you'll appreciate the truck or hate it so much that you get rid of it instanty. You can still post here, but quit the whinning and stop telling us how stupid we are for owning the ML - you have one too BTW stupid!!! Apparently all you education did not teach you very much about dealing with ML owners, on a ML dedicated board!!! Do you ust like to be tortured???? or are you just a very very lonely Bostonian?

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-02-2004 at 10:06 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:20 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey Darkmann...

You're one of the few on this board whose posts I find quite entertaining to read, and you sound like a good guy. For the record, ahopeter ripped into to me when I originally posted my opinion on the poor quality of the ML's build, so I really couldn't resist taking a jab back at him. For those of you who were unable to understand the context of my post, it's called SARCASM! I agree...anyone is free to sell any vehicle they wish. That being said, the way ahopter first criticized me for daring to question the quality of the ML, I didn't think he would ever part with one. Now, on a lighter note Darkmann...even I think the ML is a little nicer (not much) than a 21 speed bike. Oh, and for the record, I'm not the least bit lonely! I simply have opinions, am not shy about expressing my opinion, and could care less who agrees with my opinion or not! Have a fabulous Saturday!

John from Boston
Old 06-05-2004, 03:04 PM

ML
[QUOTEHey Darkmann...

You're one of the few on this board whose posts I find quite entertaining to read, and you sound like a good guy
[/quote]

Thanks for the complements , and for the record, I'm a good guy , as a matter of fact, I'm a very good and nice person - I can't believe you had to wait 'till Saturday to tell me this!!! John, my feelings are hurt

For the record, ahopeter ripped into to me when I originally posted my opinion on the poor quality of the ML's build, so I really couldn't resist taking a jab back at him.
You'll understand, I'm sure, if he says he was also only expressing his opinions :o . This is a ML forum, afterall, and we have a tight bond with that name brand, like it or not. Your expressions about the poor build of the ML does not bother me at all, and I doubt it bothers most board members - remember, I have one for which I traded a perfectly functioning 120K+ miles Nissan Pathfinder. I have had to take mine in more times than I'd have liked to and I have complained here and elsewhere. The point is that most people here and on other ML forums do agree that the ML is poorly put together. We read all the surveys also and we're not exactly jumping hoops!!! However, when the loudest begin to throw it in our faces, we strike back hard. We are well educated in most cases , are quite well to do and have not gotten to where we are in life by chance. So, like politics, when you criticize, do so with some respect and we'll do likewise. In your initial intro to the forum, you pegged the LX470 against the ML500 - this was using a very unfair comparison to slam the poor quality of the ML. We will react to that (BTW, that comparison has come up several times here and on other boards). If you want to discuss the poor build quality of the ML , that's fine, as long as you use a fair scale. The LX and the ML are not built for the same market, that's the bottom line.

For those of you who were unable to understand the context of my post, it's called SARCASM!
Of course we do:o . See, when you make statements like "...unable to understand...", you're just begging for it John. We understand quite well and you're forgiven, I hope!!!

I agree...anyone is free to sell any vehicle they wish. That being said, the way ahopter first criticized me for daring to question the quality of the ML, I didn't think he would ever part with one.
Who says he's parting. He's just getting a better one , and I bet you, he's just getting warmed up. There's something about the ML that's very enticing, and I hope you find it soon!!!

Now, on a lighter note Darkmann...even I think the ML is a little nicer (not much) than a 21 speed bike.
All of my 21 speeds work perfectly, the bike's never been back for repairs, I have zero warranty claims on it, everybody likes it, no rattles, no leaks, no squeaks, and I really take it onto the dirt roads, doing "dirt-roading". The ML may be nice, but...I'll leave it at that!!!

Oh, and for the record, I'm not the least bit lonely!
That's a very good thing - I was beginning to wonder about you there for a while.

I simply have opinions, am not shy about expressing my opinion, and could care less who agrees with my opinion or not!
That's also a very good thing. I hope you don't plan to run for office any time soon.

Have a fabulous Saturday!
Indeed I hope it'll be fabulous. The kids are dragging me everywhere at once, my office is moving furniture today and I have to be there, I have grass to cut - lots of it, it's wet outside, my wife's out shopping and I'm here replying to you. Yes indeed, I think I'll get me a six pack of something, put on the Matrix and begin to have a fabulous day. Thanks John. Be good now!!!

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-05-2004 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Darkmann...

You're one of the few on this board whose posts I find quite entertaining to read, and you sound like a good guy. For the record, ahopeter ripped into to me when I originally posted my opinion on the poor quality of the ML's build, so I really couldn't resist taking a jab back at him. For those of you who were unable to understand the context of my post, it's called SARCASM! I agree...anyone is free to sell any vehicle they wish. That being said, the way ahopter first criticized me for daring to question the quality of the ML, I didn't think he would ever part with one. Now, on a lighter note Darkmann...even I think the ML is a little nicer (not much) than a 21 speed bike. Oh, and for the record, I'm not the least bit lonely! I simply have opinions, am not shy about expressing my opinion, and could care less who agrees with my opinion or not! Have a fabulous Saturday!

John from Boston
i didnt rip into you, maybe youre just a little sensitive, you said your opinion and i said mine. what? you expect me to be quiet if i disagree with you?..then youre just delusional. before you speak... read the posts...i am parting with it for i own another one. youre such an excellent poster and a joy to have on the forum. thats my sarcasm.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:50 PM

ML
I admit this keeps the discussion alive on the board, which is a good thing. I did go back to the original post that started all this (Click here to see all of it ) and, frankly enigma869, ahopeter's first response to your original post was just his opinion. Things escalated after that based on what you said in your rebuttle to his response. So here's the deal - you're both posting your opinions about cheap/expensive/inexpensive plastic and that's that. So lets move on!!!

I'm trading my MY02 320 for a MY05 350, Sport Loaded, including 3rd row which I really need. I like the sport loaded but many have adviced me to take the MY04 500 instead. I really do not need the power of the 500 (I like it though!!!) and I just can't justify the extra $$$$ for the 500 sport wih 3rd row. So what do you think? Should I forgo my idea of the ideal ML for me and take the MY04 500 which is cheaper (I think I'll hate myself if I do take something less than my taste) or do I stick with my choice of a MY05 350 Sport? Am I being unreasonable/completely stupid???

Also, what would be a fair price for a MY05 320 sport, loaded, 3rd row, nav, entertainment, etc, etc.

Last edited by Darkmann; 06-05-2004 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 ML 500
Hey Darkmann...

I don't want to beat a dead horse, as I believe everyone has made their opinions quite clear. As for your dilemma and question...you probably know my true answer would be to spend your money on another manufacturer's vehicle. Having said that, if you really are a dedicated MB guy, I would absolutely, positively go for the 500. I test drove several models of the 320/500/55. My impressions were as follows: The 320 has ample power for most people, but the interior is very cheaply done (take a look at the $2.00 plastic shifter knob versus the wood in the 500/55). As critical as I've been about the ML, I am MUCH more critical of the 320 (not sure if the 350 has had upgrades to the interior finishings), as the interior on most Ford Explorers are better done. I think the 500 has a bit more elegance and refinement. The 500 is obviously more powerful and on the downside, worse on gas (perhaps a consideration with the price at the pumps). But, as mentioned, I believe the higher price is warranted due to the interior finishings (and before I get more criticism from some for contradicting some of my earlier comments, I am NOT complimenting the ML on the interior...simply stating which I think is better done). As for the ML55 (and yes, I am aware MB isn't presently making the 55)...I took one out and was very impressed with the power. I didn't find the interior that much different than that of the 500, so really couldn't justify the $20K higher price tag. It's definitely super fast, but, it's also an SUV...not a race car. I wish you well with your decision. Let me know which one you plunk your money down for. Oh, and one other thing I neglected to mention earlier...I absolutely do agree with you that my comparison between the LX470 and the ML500 wasn't a reasonable comparison. They're two different vehicles in two different classes. The Lexus is about 20K more, and perhaps that's why some don't think it's a fair comparison. That being said...those are the two vehicles I do own, so that is my frame of reference. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't looking to start a war with my original posting. I was more interested if others had felt as I do that MB could really improve upon the existing ML design. Time will tell. Have a great night.

John from Boston
Old 06-05-2004, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Darkmann
I admit this keeps the discussion alive on the board, which is a good thing. I did go back to the original post that started all this (Click here to see all of it ) and, frankly enigma869, ahopeter's first response to your original post was just his opinion. Things escalated after that based on what you said in your rebuttle to his response. So here's the deal - you're both posting your opinions about cheap/expensive/inexpensive plastic and that's that. So lets move on!!!

I'm trading my MY02 320 for a MY05 350, Sport Loaded, including 3rd row which I really need. I like the sport loaded but many have adviced me to take the MY04 500 instead. I really do not need the power of the 500 (I like it though!!!) and I just can't justify the extra $$$$ for the 500 sport wih 3rd row. So what do you think? Should I forgo my idea of the ideal ML for me and take the MY04 500 which is cheaper (I think I'll hate myself if I do take something less than my taste) or do I stick with my choice of a MY05 350 Sport? Am I being unreasonable/completely stupid???

Also, what would be a fair price for a MY05 320 sport, loaded, 3rd row, nav, entertainment, etc, etc.
Darkmann... i ve already moved on, but others keep coming back to the old.

anyway, i think you should go with what you feel is right for you...and by the posts youve made, i say its the 350. its gonna be you driving it, so who cares what others think...do what ya gotta do.

pricing...Darkmann, didnt we go through this already on the "other" forum? if not... shoot me a pm, i got the dealer pricing breakdown for you.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:56 AM

Ml270CDI
Hi all, I have been a MB owner for the last 15 years and have always been happy with the products but I feel I have to write in and express my dissatisfaction with my latest purchase a 2003 ML270CDI Diesel.
Mercedes advertising states "And unlike ordinary off-roaders, when you're driving in the city or cruising down the motorways, it drives like a luxury saloon" - absolute hogwash, I find that the ride is absolutely dreadful and it feels like the vehicle is on solid tyres, every pothole reverberates into the cabin and after even a short journey I feel absolutely worn out. It is by no means a relaxing car to drive, in fact I would consider this to be the worst car that I have ever driven from this respect, offering no possibility of relaxation or enjoyment. The only way my family and I can get a comfortable ride without being sick is to drive with the tyres under inflated at 25PSI
Economy, I find it difficult to better 25-28MPG, which for a diesel is dreadful. My 4Litre petrol Ford Explorer does 20-25MPG !
Refinement - only if you compare it to a Diesel Sprinter or Transit van (both cheap, commercial load carriers here in the UK)
Quality - Apalling, everything squeaks, chirps and groans when you drive it, interior panel fit is poor and seats look like they have been swapped from a high miler (and its only done 17K miles).
The engine is rattly and gearchange clunks like it is loose whenever changing the auto from D to R, in fact it is like driving a shed on wheels and all this with a "truck" that is just 12 months old !
I took in in to the MB dealer and he tells me its all OK and in fact its one of the better ones. I asked the dealer if it would be better if I changed to petrol, his answer was "They are all like that". After 6months of ownership and huge depreciation (I've only done 1500miles in it) , I have finally got Mercedes in the UK to agree to buy it back. So do you buy an ML ? .........Well only you can tell, but I would say have one for at least a days test drive before you buy. I will never buy a car again without having it for 24hours to test
Old 06-08-2004, 02:30 PM
Almost a Member!

ml430
It is fun to see everyone's opinion and how they vary. I drive a 99 430 and my wife has an 01 320. They have both been good cars. I do notice a difference between the 99 and 01 and am sure the newer ones are even better. Mine in particular has not been without problems, I suspect due to its earlier vintage and they are complex vehicles. That said, the dealer has been exceptional about fixing them.

I like it a lot and would look hard at another. It partly comes down to what you want as well. Several others mentioned (RX3xx, MDX) are not as sturdy since they are built on car frames. There are many to choose from and personal preference comes in to play as well.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:08 PM

'13 ML350 Bluetec for work, E550 for pleasure, & ML350 for my wife
This is certainly an interesting (and long) thread. I'm a new ML500 owner, bought one just over a week ago for my wife. She absolutely loves it. We traded in her slightly over a year old Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, which was the most decked out model Jeep available. That was a pretty nice ride for a capable 4x4 vehicle, but nowhere near as comfortable and refined as the new ML. The vehicle seems very stable & surefooted, and has great power.

We bought the "Special Edition" package, which had some appearance features my wife really liked, particularly the fancier hood, grill, & running boards.

I drive a 2003 BMW X5 4.4i, which has what I consider a more nicely finished interior & dash. It also seems to handle a little more car-like than the ML, though it does hit the bumps more stiffly.

I think both the german SUV's (SAV's) have a much nicer feel to the interiors than an MDX, LX470, FX35, etc. The japanese stuff all seems just a bit overly flashy. I much prefer the more subdued, quietly elegant feel of both mine & my wifes rides. I know the Jap offerings have a better reliabilty record, and superior navigation systems, but none of them felt right to me. Also, being a big tall guy, the room is real nice in the germans.

Enough blabbering, I just felt like jumping in with my opinions.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:24 AM

Thumbs up

I have ML 55 i guess its a great car its Germany with american built .iam happy with the out put and the response i get from it .its gentle and smooth , i havent face any issue i guess cuz its still new 2003 30k mabey !!

i would recomend for it , only what concerns me is the new shape
Old 07-09-2004, 04:47 PM

2009 ML350
Never again...

I own a 01 ML430, it does ride and handle very well and V-8 and transmission very smooth and thats it.

Why I will never own another ML period:

Interior materials are terrible and huge disappointment. The plastics used are cheap as well as the fit and finish. For $55K you don't even get real wood trim. Leather seats is misnomer, more like vinyl, trust me, just look a feel them and they are already cracking (the ML is garaged).

I compare the interior materials, there fit and finish (leather surfaces are real cowhide) and switch gear to my 01 VW Jetta and there is no comaprision, VW wins hands down and even has real burled walnut accents. That car still makes me smile every time I get in it.

I have had to replace under warranty luckily,
Fuel guage
Radiator hoses (they failed)
Power stering pump hose (twice-they failed)
Battery
Cup holders
Ash tray cover (wouldn't stay closed)
Front AC vents
Sunroof deflector (3 times)
Heated seats burn your ***- can even use them
The folding mechansim for rear seats failed - they would't fold down
One of the exit/entry assists handles pulled right out of the roof.
The list continues just like everbody else

And the Grand finale!!

Mileage 65,000

Parts count include original OEM install off production line.

Currently on:

3rd set of rotors

3rd set of front brake pads

5th set of rear brake pads

The 2nd set of front pads, 4th set of rear pad and 2nd set of rotors failed/wore out in 11,000 miles.

Driving style: In town grocery getting and open freeway driving (no stop-n-go)

11,000 miles a stretch for the pads, but completely unacceptable for a set of rotors.
One dealer says this is normal, the other says its not..either way no one has a fix.

Sold my 98 Trooper Limited (never one issue ever..had a 95 with same results) to move upscale..so I thought!

The ML has been a disappointment from day one.....hello Toureg
Old 07-10-2004, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

kfriceman, just curious...what happenned to the cup holders?? thanks
Old 07-10-2004, 10:07 PM

2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 ML 320, 2001 E-320, Porsche 944
I'm happy with my ML 320. I know about the higher ranked alternatives in consumer reports, but MB has a good track record of service with me for my other Benz's, so I stuck with the brand. No problems so far.

My dealer has been good. And I've never had to pay anything for service since I started buying Benz's back in '98.
Old 07-11-2004, 01:57 PM

2009 ML350
Cupholders

They wouln't stay in the closed position.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:33 PM

wife's car2014 ml350
Imo, The Merc Is A Great Looking Car Sure It Has A Few Problems But I Rather Have A Few Problems Than A Car That Looks Like Crap( See Rx 300)
Old 07-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Almost a Member!

2006 ML 350, 2003 E320, 2006 A6 3.2, 1999 ML320, 2004 GTI
As Owner of an ML and a Touareg, I'd get a Touareg. But make sure its the V8 and not the V6; night and day comparison!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:37 PM
Almost a Member!

would it be a bad idea to get a 00 ML430 with 103K miles? I figure by the time the ML hits 100K miles, all the problems should have been replaced/solved. Could i be wrong? should i not even concider a ML with such high miles? The price could be right but i definately would like to avoid buyer's remorse. Thanks for any opinions.

EDIT: oh, this is also my first post. I would rather read and do search than ask a silly question and annoy the old-timers as I have participated on many car forums and nothing annoys me more than a nub not using search when something has been answered 30006 times. But sometimes i'll ask because i'm lazy; please just lazy-link me and i'll do the rest. thanks!

Last edited by chivas228; 07-12-2004 at 09:43 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a ML or not?