M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Taking 04 ML 500 on the beach (soft sand)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 ml500
Taking 04 ML 500 on the beach (soft sand)

Hey, so i'm planning on taking my truck on the beach this weekend on Long Island at Robert Moses, to Democrat Point. I'm buying the surfing permit tomorrow. Never been off-roading before but I hear this truck is quite a capable light, off-roading vehicle. I've bought a Viair 90p air compressore, a shovel, and traction mats in case I get stuck. I'll be going with my buddy who has a jeep wrangler the first time in case he needs to tow me out if I get seriously stuck. Not going to take it anywhere close to the water. Just need it to get me to the jetty to surf. How low should I go with the tire pressure? permit specifies airing down to half the maximum rated tire pressure. I have michelin premier LTX's 275/55R17 with a maximum rated pressure of 44psi. What do you think I should air down to? If I go too low is it possible to do damage? Any other tools you think I should grab or tips you can give me? I know to turn esp off so power is given to all 4 tires equally and to engage low range mode to increase power to lower gears since I will be going slow.