M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Tape deck stuck with ghost tape

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 ML 500
Tape deck stuck with ghost tape

My 2004 ML500 has a ghost tape inside the head unit and won’t eject tray to accept new tape. Display opens and flips down every time I start truck. Has anyone had and if so, fixed this problem?
Old 11-09-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 ML430
I think it's easy, and can do it in about four minutes, but I've done it before. Those cassette devices that allow you to play your iPhone through the cassette usually get stuck.
It involves removing the top, removing the Nav drive if installed, then removing (5?) screws on each side that hold the upper piece of metal to the bottom and the silver piece of metal that acts as an anti-theft device when installed (you need the security "keys" to remove the unit from the dash, and these are the metal pieces that keep it from being stolen). You can then lift off the top portion (black) and expose the cassette player. You then have to remove four small screws, and then detach the thin, flat strip of wire, and lift up the broken deck. I've got extra working decks and you can have one for free, just pay shipping (i think it's light enough to send first class but not sure). Not sure where you're located, but if you are in the Sacramento area I'll fix yours for free. Otherwise, I'll see if I can make a video of how to replace it.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by EnerHernandez
My 2004 ML500 has a ghost tape inside the head unit and won’t eject tray to accept new tape. Display opens and flips down every time I start truck. Has anyone had and if so, fixed this problem?
remove and disassemble as described in post #3 - straight forward should be similar on yours.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 ML430
I just uploaded a video of how to remove it here:
Please note that I was in a junk yard, trying to film, so you'd obviously be a lot more careful with your unit, and don't pry stuff off like I did, use smaller screw drivers. The donor ML had water damage, hence the rust. At the end, when you unscrew the four screws holding the deck in and unplug the white wiring cable, the other side of the wiring cable should remain attached to your stereo components (it came off in my video due to the water damage the deck sustained). I'll try and do a much better video at a later date but this should give you an idea as to what you need to do.