M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Overheated 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML430
Angry Overheated 430

So....I let my daughter use my truck for a week, within that week the coolant must have gotten low somehow and she drove it until it overheated to the point that it melted the fan shroud and oil dip. The shroud melted over the radiator fan locking the fan in place and popping the serpentine belt. Also oil spray all over the engine bay and below the truck on the interstate. I had it towed home and have since replace the melted parts, belt and tubing. I filled the new overflow tank with the appropriate antifreeze and changed the oil. Went to see if it would start up and it just won't turn over. It seems like it wants to but just doesn't. I can also smell gasoline after awhile of holding the key in the start position. Oh and lastly I just happened to check the oil levels and saw that the levels were too high, so I went to drain the oil and COOLANT came pouring out of the oil pan followed by oil.So I'm thinking maybe a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head? It's a 2000 so I'm thinking having it fixed may be more fuss than it's worth. Thoughts?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,002 Likes on 3,145 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Sounds grim, sorry to be negative. Overheating to the extent you describe often results in warped cylinder heads. This is supported by your report of coolant in the crankcase. Coolant should not be in the crankcase.

Something to try could be a compression test, a leakdown test, and a coolant pressure decay test. This will give you an idea of cylinder head gasket integrity. If these tests are successful, try rotating the engine with a breaker bar on the crankshaft damper, to be sure the engine mechanically is not locked. After you do these things, report back with the results.

It sounds like the vehicle had a not insignificant coolant leak or consumption issue at the start of your daughter's week with the vehicle. Do you agree?
Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by KillaKev757
So....I let my daughter use my truck for a week, within that week the coolant must have gotten low somehow and she drove it until it overheated to the point that it melted the fan shroud and oil dip. The shroud melted over the radiator fan locking the fan in place and popping the serpentine belt. Also oil spray all over the engine bay and below the truck on the interstate. I had it towed home and have since replace the melted parts, belt and tubing. I filled the new overflow tank with the appropriate antifreeze and changed the oil. Went to see if it would start up and it just won't turn over. It seems like it wants to but just doesn't. I can also smell gasoline after awhile of holding the key in the start position. Oh and lastly I just happened to check the oil levels and saw that the levels were too high, so I went to drain the oil and COOLANT came pouring out of the oil pan followed by oil.So I'm thinking maybe a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head? It's a 2000 so I'm thinking having it fixed may be more fuss than it's worth. Thoughts?
AND no CEL and temp lights flashing in her face while she's driving??
Was she not aware of any of this?

Have you tried scanning and reading any error codes?

Your first statement pretty much sums up the status. The last bold statement = your present engine is toast.
I concur with chassis' comments on the warped heads.

Unfortunately, not what you want to hear, but it is what it is.
:|
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML430
I Agree. She's not the smartest lol love her to death. She said she didn't see any lights on the dash but clearly it had to be a warning light.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
All is not lost...you can purchase a salvage engine in good condition for under a $1000, and probably $300-$500 in labor to swap yours out....I would say, that might be your best bet, if you want to bring your ML back to life...