M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Aug Issue of Car and Driver has pics of new ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Aug Issue of Car and Driver has pics of new ML

Saw pics of the "new" ML in the new car and driver. Doesn't look all that new to me. The New G class pics look better. Anyone else think it looks blah?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 ML320
Those are all old heavily photoshopped spy photos or just photoshopped creations.

The most recent spy shot had the ML with a lot less covering - here's a touched-up version of it - you'll notice the headlights, taillights, and fender flares look a bit strange due to this, but you get an idea of the car's shape.

HTH
Old 07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Originally Posted by Stiggs
Saw pics of the "new" ML in the new car and driver. Doesn't look all that new to me. The New G class pics look better. Anyone else think it looks blah?
That G-klasse looked an awful lot like a photoshoped ML..even down to the AMG rims and red calipers. I liked it much better then the supposed new M-klasse photos personally. I don't think anyone publication has printed the actual true design but clearly there are people in the know who have seen it and it's a matter of time before we find out! All I know is I want a truck not a car based mommy utility mobile.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm not too impressed.......Besides, the styling is not much of an improvement over the W163s. I'm ready to trade-in after several more thousand miles of usage. Seriously considering an FX35/45. I used to be a die-hard MBZ fan but have been deeply dissappointed with my W163 and all the quirks that goes along with ownership. My "04.5" C320 that we took delivery on 12/28/03 with currently 2k miles has already developed power seat failure issues.

I never owned a Japanese vehicle before...but they are looking to be a better choice for the money.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Smile

Originally Posted by Sincity
I'm not too impressed.......Besides, the styling is not much of an improvement over the W163s. I'm ready to trade-in after several more thousand miles of usage. Seriously considering an FX35/45. I used to be a die-hard MBZ fan but have been deeply dissappointed with my W163 and all the quirks that goes along with ownership. My "04.5" C320 that we took delivery on 12/28/03 with currently 2k miles has already developed power seat failure issues.
The FX is an awesome looking car. Fast enough for sure. My concern would be the cubic feet of space in the back compared to the ML. I need [and in fact use often] every inch I have with the ML. I couldn't go smaller for my own personal needs.

I never owned a Japanese vehicle before...but they are looking to be a better choice for the money.
I owned a Geo prizm for six years. Never had any issues ever. Never made a warranty claim just changed the oil and a few bulbs here and there. Greta car for what it is--basic transportation. I'd be Japanese again but I prefer German makes.
Old 07-15-2004, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by LOCHS 2
That G-klasse looked an awful lot like a photoshoped ML..even down to the AMG rims and red calipers. I liked it much better then the supposed new M-klasse photos personally. I don't think anyone publication has printed the actual true design but clearly there are people in the know who have seen it and it's a matter of time before we find out! All I know is I want a truck not a car based mommy utility mobile.
I've seen some... I think if you want a truck, and to me, truck = not unit body, both the G-class and M-class are not going to be a truck. The GST is going to suit my needs for people carrying... and for cargo carrying, well I don't know.

-s-
Old 07-15-2004, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Sincity,
I as well have an 03 C320 and the only problem i have ever had is the power seat issue. It is a simple module that needs to be programmed or changed, but thats the only thing wrong with it! (knock on wood). Havent even brought it in for its first A service yet!
Old 07-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Originally Posted by scorchie
I think if you want a truck, and to me, truck = not unit body, both the G-class and M-class are not going to be a truck.
-s-
That is very disappointing to me and yes I did mean "not uni-body construction". Well, I can't afford a new M or G anyway {unless I find a sugar mama} so I'll keep my '99 for another 3 years and then buy a used '05 ML500.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AlBoston: That is good to know that it just needs to be programmed. They already replaced the module. Now the steering wheel moves out of the way when I exit but the seat will not move back anymore. And when I brought it up to the SA, he told me to bring it by to program.....not sure what he meant since I already reprogrammed to move both steering wheel and seat on exit.

LOCHS: I agree space is an issue with the FX. I sometimes use up every cubic feet myself. But that seems to be my only compromise.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:36 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sincity

LOCHS: I agree space is an issue with the FX. I sometimes use up every cubic feet myself. But that seems to be my only compromise.
I can't speak for Infiniti [it can only be better based on price] but I'm a believer in Nissan quality. I owned two Xterra's before the ML and while they were slow to drive they were very reliable. I think you'll be pleased with your choice although we'll miss your contributions on the various ML forums...
Old 07-16-2004, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Awww...thanks LOCHS. I'll still be here for anohter 20-30K miles