M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Thinking of swapping my ML

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 500 Sport
Question Thinking of swapping my ML

Call me crazy but I am thinking of swapping my ML500...only 9000 miles

Fooooorrrrrrr..............guess what...a Dodge Magnum RT Hemi

...going for a test drive on Saturday
I really like my ML and have had great luck with it...but I am never off road and am a little tired of driving a truck...but I still need to haul stuff around.
I miss my CLK55...and still have to wait for my SL...besides having a hotrod family car appeals to me...340HP 390ftlbs....Mercedes...5sp Tranny...E class suspension...so I feel I am not being too much of a traitor

am I nuts or what???
Old 07-16-2004, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W209 - W163
Ur crazy... I love my ML!
Old 07-16-2004, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by jco-amg

I really like my ML and have had great luck with it...but I am never off road and am a little tired of driving a truck...but I still need to haul stuff around.
I miss my CLK55...and still have to wait for my SL...besides having a hotrod family car appeals to me...340HP 390ftlbs....Mercedes...5sp Tranny...E class suspension...so I feel I am not being too much of a traitor

am I nuts or what???
More reasons here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....30&postcount=2

I drove it a couple weeks ago. Keep in mind that you can't hold very much in back. I am considering the AWD version when it comes out in the fall, since I need a snowboarding vehicle. For that I will have to carry the boards on top instead of inside like I did with the ML. And no more picking up new kitchen appliances, but since I already did that (the ML swallowed the refrigerator whole), I don't foresee needing that for a few more years.

-s-
Old 07-16-2004, 09:05 PM

2002 SLK 32 AMG, 2002 ML 320, 2001 E-320, Porsche 944
Well, you have your SL coming along, so that'll provide you some variety even with your ML.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Originally Posted by jco-amg

am I nuts or what???
Well I drove the chrysler 300C hemi, Very nice vehicle indeed. I personally would hold on to the ML500 because it is a classier vehicle and has a nicer interior. Plus Dodge dealers suck with service depts and are prolly super ****y now that their cars have mercedes parts in them.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:42 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Originally Posted by scorchie
Who makes the Magnum RDS capable radio, scorchie? Delphi?

Old 07-17-2004, 04:24 PM

ML 500 Sport
Well I did it!!!..Put in an order for the Magnum Hemi!....really liked the car
especially the handling...very well balanced car...very firm but not uncomfortable actually reminded me a bit of my CLK55 but with better steering...did not feel like a big car...sure the interior is not as nice but with kids I don't care that much about leather on the doors...seats were very good
Car was very quiet...too quiet...I will have to change out the exhaust to really hear that 5.7 Hemi...you know brabus has formed a new division called Startech for tuning Dodges and Chryslers...can't wait to see hat they come up with for the Magnum

think of it as a like an Eclass estate AMG with the w210 Amg 55 motor without the frills

p.s. Will be selling my 2002 ML500 Sport only 10,000 miles...PM me if interested...car is in NY
Old 07-17-2004, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ml320
Who makes the Magnum RDS capable radio, scorchie? Delphi?
I have one on order (to play with) and will let you know when it comes in... it works on CANBUS so I want to see how compatible the CANBUS protocols are with Mercedes...

The software is similar to the Alpine units used in the M-class, but significantly updated. New VDO/Dayton units also use a similar software, so they may be related. VDO/Dayton makes the nav units for older Chrysler/Jeep cars, but this unit is so much better than those other ones, it's hard to believe that it would be from the same manufacturer.

I think there's some software licensing going on somewhere... for instance the VDO Dayton units used in US Audis (similar to the A3 navigation) has software similar to the Becker TrafficPro. Seems like maybe VDO/Dayton doesn't develop their own software....

-s-
Old 07-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Almost a Member!

MBs
Look what I just found here. It's the M-Class supplier!!! :-) What gave it away was the languages offered in Europe. German, English, French and Spanish. Also remembered Alpine introduced a European DVD NAV with RDS TMC about a year ago or so. Can we suspect this for the W164 and W251?

"Chrysler Group selected Alpine Electronics, a supplier of high-performance mobile electronics systems, to provide the navigation unit, GPS antenna and map database information. The map database information is housed on a single DVD-ROM based on NAVTECH data."
Old 07-17-2004, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look what I just found here. It's the M-Class supplier!!! :-) What gave it away was the languages offered in Europe. German, English, French and Spanish. Also remembered Alpine introduced a European DVD NAV with RDS TMC about a year ago or so. Can we suspect this for the W164 and W251?

"Chrysler Group selected Alpine Electronics, a supplier of high-performance mobile electronics systems, to provide the navigation unit, GPS antenna and map database information. The map database information is housed on a single DVD-ROM based on NAVTECH data."
Good find. The funky joystick on it made me think Alpine, but that was the only detraction from an otherwise nice piece of equipment (I felt the same with the MCS). DVD nav and MP3 changer built in... very cool. Too bad no phone controls!

-s-
Old 07-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Almost a Member!

MBs

Originally Posted by scorchie
Good find. The funky joystick on it made me think Alpine, but that was the only detraction from an otherwise nice piece of equipment (I felt the same with the MCS). DVD nav and MP3 changer built in... very cool. Too bad no phone controls!

-s-
I happen to like the joystick. Often I just enter where I want to go with it since I find it's faster than entering a long new address, and also a bit more precise. Just zoom and click...

No phone controls is just as well, since I happen to prefer the buttons on the phones itself which I'm usually more familiar with. $275 for UConnect with Bluetooth is not bad. Wonder how reliably it works with different phones?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I happen to like the joystick. Often I just enter where I want to go with it since I find it's faster than entering a long new address, and also a bit more precise. Just zoom and click...

No phone controls is just as well, since I happen to prefer the buttons on the phones itself which I'm usually more familiar with. $275 for UConnect with Bluetooth is not bad. Wonder how reliably it works with different phones?
I am just used to the COMAND rotary control... spin and click. When clicking, I tend to move the cursor on the joystick, but not on the COMAND. Since COMAND has gone to separate direction buttons + OK (click), have learned to like this the best... but I tried the new joystick and it seemed to work well.

Also, the All Wheel Drive version of the RT is $31,995 list!

-s-