M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Phantom Squeak: 2001 W163 Undercarriage w/ video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2019 | 03:56 PM
Veteran: Air Force

ML55
Phantom Squeak: 2001 W163 Undercarriage w/ video

This is getting louder and defying troubleshooting. Other than this constant noise and pitch, truck drives and shifts beautifully. Squeak disappears when I lift the front! Only on passenger side too. Checked so far:
  • Belts
  • Pulleys
  • Tensioner
  • Alternator
  • Sway bar bushings
  • Torsion Bar
  • Control Arm
  • Steering rack

I’m sure any w163 could have this. Thanks for any advice!
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0199.mov (4.63 MB, 33 views)

Last edited by Rianlikebrian; 10-16-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Title
Old 10-16-2019 | 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by Rianlikebrian
This is getting louder and defying troubleshooting. Other than this constant noise and pitch, truck drives and shifts beautifully. Squeak disappears when I lift the front! Only on passenger side too. Checked so far:
  • Belts
  • Pulleys
  • Tensioner
  • Alternator
  • Sway bar bushings
  • Torsion Bar
  • Control Arm
  • Steering rack

I’m sure any w163 could have this. Thanks for any advice!
Your suv is not in motion, so it has to be originating from the engine and it's components running.
try here - https://mycarmakesnoise.com/
Old 10-16-2019 | 07:35 PM

ML55
Originally Posted by khomer2
Your suv is not in motion, so it has to be originating from the engine and it's components running.
try here - https://mycarmakesnoise.com/
Thanks. The only noise that sounds close is the water pump. But my temps are right on regular, no drips of anything let alone water and the noise squeaks when I slam the passenger front door. Shaking the vehicle from roof rack sideways, or bouncing while standing on passenger door sill, pressing up/ down on the hood produces nothing! 😂
Old 10-18-2019 | 10:02 AM

2000 ML320 2006 SLK 350
Originally Posted by Rianlikebrian
Thanks. The only noise that sounds close is the water pump. But my temps are right on regular, no drips of anything let alone water and the noise squeaks when I slam the passenger front door. Shaking the vehicle from roof rack sideways, or bouncing while standing on passenger door sill, pressing up/ down on the hood produces nothing! 😂
I had a perfectly normally running car, but water pump was replaced as part of regular maintenance....what shocked me is how jammed up the old pump was....I bet, the bearings were shot on it....it puts unnecessary load on the S-belt and the engine...just because car appears to run normally does not mean periodic wear and tear items aren't in need of replacement...
The following users liked this post:
Rianlikebrian (10-18-2019)
Old 10-18-2019 | 08:57 PM

ML55
Originally Posted by mihir_d
I had a perfectly normally running car, but water pump was replaced as part of regular maintenance....what shocked me is how jammed up the old pump was....I bet, the bearings were shot on it....it puts unnecessary load on the S-belt and the engine...just because car appears to run normally does not mean periodic wear and tear items aren't in need of replacement...
Problem solved!! Those damn heat shields under the passenger fender liner. Rubbing each other and occasionally touching the exhaust. Done!

Thanks for your help 👍