M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

More Brake Issues!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W163 - ML320 - 1999
Exclamation More Brake Issues!!

Good evening everyone!!

A couple of weeks ago I ran into some braking problems that made me decide to replace my booster in the car. After replacing it, the car worked like a charm and driving resumed like usual. Unfortunately fast forward to tonight and suddenly my ML's BAS ESP light came on and the car wouldn't brake unless I really floored the brake pedal. After checking connections and such nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, no leaks, no loose electrical connections, the only problem appears to be that my reservoir drains itself unusually fast, but there are no drips that appear in any of the driveways I park at. At this point the problem seems to not be the booster but I have no idea what else it could be.....anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-26-2019, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by Michael Vanegas
Good evening everyone!!

A couple of weeks ago I ran into some braking problems that made me decide to replace my booster in the car. After replacing it, the car worked like a charm and driving resumed like usual. Unfortunately fast forward to tonight and suddenly my ML's BAS ESP light came on and the car wouldn't brake unless I really floored the brake pedal. After checking connections and such nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, no leaks, no loose electrical connections, the only problem appears to be that my reservoir drains itself unusually fast, but there are no drips that appear in any of the driveways I park at. At this point the problem seems to not be the booster but I have no idea what else it could be.....anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Michael,

There has been alot of discussion on the forums regarding "spongy" brake pedal on the W163s. Personally, I have not experienced it - only the brake hiss.
Read here for starters - this may assist you - https://www.benzworld.org/threads/20...oblem.1636295/
https://www.benzworld.org/threads/ve...ml320.1537123/

There are plenty of threads from others on this issue.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 754 Likes on 702 Posts
2002 ML 320 & 2006 ML500
When you replaced the booster, did you disconnect the lines at the Master Cylinder?

Also, crawl under the car near the driver's door and check for corroded brake lines.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:45 AM

W163 - ML320 - 1999
To Khomer2, I have looked into the spongy brake issue, I originally thought its was the booster but that does not seem to be the case now I guess.

To Maj Dundee, I did not disconnect the MC mainly because I did not want to bleed the lines leading to the ABS motor if I did not have to you know? However I did check the lines in that area and they seem fine.....

UPDATE: Right as I was writing this, I decided to look into my engine bay and have discovered a pool of what appears to be brake fluid accumulating under my ABS unit! I cannot tell if the unit itself is leaking or if there is a broken line underneath it?
Old 11-27-2019, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by Michael Vanegas
To Khomer2, I have looked into the spongy brake issue, I originally thought its was the booster but that does not seem to be the case now I guess.

To Maj Dundee, I did not disconnect the MC mainly because I did not want to bleed the lines leading to the ABS motor if I did not have to you know? However I did check the lines in that area and they seem fine.....

UPDATE: Right as I was writing this, I decided to look into my engine bay and have discovered a pool of what appears to be brake fluid accumulating under my ABS unit! I cannot tell if the unit itself is leaking or if there is a broken line underneath it?
It could be leaking, or the lines corroded The abs unit is located right below the washer reservoir tank. You may want to check this (the reservoir tank) too, if it's cracked or leaking.
If so, the fluids from this tank can corrode the connections, etc on the abs unit.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:19 AM

W163 - ML320 - 1999
I have not seen any leaks from my windshield wiper tank but I have bit the dust and took it to the shop. They said it was my calipers sticking to the the rotors. I of course did not tell them to fix it because they were asking wayyyy too much.