M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

steering feel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
steering feel

steering feels loose in my 320. since getting it fixed (it used to be much tighter,) it now feels loose...fordish. actually it feels similar to my 500. strange, anyone else think their steering feels loose?
Old 07-24-2004, 07:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Any number of reasons. A new hose may have less of a restriction in it, they probably put air in the tires and lowered the rolling resistance, they may have reprogrammed the computer and raised the idle speed which increased pump pressure. Only the ML 55 had the variable assist power steering, so don't worry about it being that.
Old 07-24-2004, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks Saturn. again, good to have you aboard. sounds like everything is okay then, right? anyway to make it a little stiffer? thanks
Old 07-24-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Not anyway to do it I know of, that wouldn't be a detriment somehow. Funny you feel its overboosted, most customers complain its too hard to turn the wheel. Ya know when they went to larger tires and wheels, they didn't do anything to the steering system to compensate for it. Lots of folks with the 320's were saying it was hard to turn the wheel. Increasing tire pressure and raising idle speeds are all we can do about that.
My biggest thought when somebody brings the car in and says its too hard to turn the wheel: "Did you test drive it at all before you bought it?"
Old 07-25-2004, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by saturnstyl
Not anyway to do it I know of, that wouldn't be a detriment somehow. Funny you feel its overboosted, most customers complain its too hard to turn the wheel. Ya know when they went to larger tires and wheels, they didn't do anything to the steering system to compensate for it. Lots of folks with the 320's were saying it was hard to turn the wheel. Increasing tire pressure and raising idle speeds are all we can do about that.
My biggest thought when somebody brings the car in and says its too hard to turn the wheel: "Did you test drive it at all before you bought it?"
thanks Saturn. i've owned, and still do own several benzes, but this car and the ml500 are the only ones to be like this. actually the 320 just started being like that after having the power steering fixed recently. thanks for the input.