M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

'Heavy' gas pedal annoying on '04 ML350.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by blue960
update :

got the new cable installed (the same part number referred by Judder) by the dealer, but the result is not as expected....the feel is still heavy... quite upset. i guess i'd need the accelerator pedal too ..

@judder .. have you installed both new pedal and cable yet? can you share the result pls. btw, is there one more new pedal from your dealer ..? thank you
Sorry to hear that hasn't fixed your problems Mine is going in tomorrow to have pedal replaced and new cable fitted so will send back pictures/feedback tomorrow night on how it feels (*or the day after if it takes a while to get to me!)

The Mercedes dealer I used I found through http://partsreunited.co.uk/ and was fantastic. There details are:

Leon Williams
Parts and Accessories Manager
Mercedes-Benz of North Wales
+44 (0)1492 594000
lswml@ir.inchcape.co.uk

and the Pedal assembly was £15.03 + VAT (20%) with free P+P!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 PM

W210 - V6'02 / W163 - V6'02
actually now is lighter compared to before changing the cable, but i can still feel the pedal cannot move smoothly when driving the car in slow traffic and kind of need extra push when pressing halfway.

the dealer already took the pedal off and checked the mechanism twice and said nothing is wrong. put some lubricants also. they cannot guarantee if i order new pedal will solve the problem .... so how..
Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 PM

ML55 AMG
Originally Posted by blue960
update :

got the new cable installed (the same part number referred by Judder) by the dealer, but the result is not as expected....the feel is still heavy... quite upset. i guess i'd need the accelerator pedal too ..

@judder .. have you installed both new pedal and cable yet? can you share the result pls. btw, is there one more new pedal from your dealer ..? thank you
Yes - got mine back on Friday and did some driving over the weekend and it is definitely better, but I would say not what I thought it should be (i.e. perfect!).

I drove the ML55 bare-footed so that I could feel the pedal and cable as it moved and there is still a slight 'notching' as the cable moves with the pedal.

Interestingly the brand new pedal already had some play in it (could be slightly wiggled against the mount) so I kept the old one and will be trying to replace the hinge plastic pin with a metal 9mm partially threaded bolt to see if I can get a really smooth response.

So in summary, the pedal is pretty cheap and after chatting with the mechanic that did mine he explained it is an easy job to switch that I would probably suggest doing this too before

BTW I also drove it against our A160 and the A160 is definitely smoother so perhaps it is a design defect of the M Series???
Old 09-23-2011, 03:06 PM

2008 Black C300 18"AMG, Navi. 2002 ML 320
Somewhere in the forum did say about that streching the spring a little bit on the throttle relay sensor can help alleviate the "notching" feel w/c can be very annoying. The spring, which sits on top helps release the throttle to its original position (when you get your foot off the pedal), I did exactly on my 2002 ML320 and it helped a whole lot. it's a lot smoother, but not perfect. The spring part must've aged already, and maybe replacing the it can really fix the problem. not sure if you can even get that piece at the dealership.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:46 AM

are you referring to spring at the end of accelerator cable in engine compartment (near water reservoir)?
if yes, i didnt stretch it ....i just removed the spring ..and it is much better feel now. dealer said the throttle will get back to its original position even w/o that spring coz they already have another spring mechanism ...
Old 10-07-2011, 09:09 AM

2008 Black C300 18"AMG, Navi. 2002 ML 320
hey blue, these 2 spring mechanism (external/internal) work in tandem or as a backup if ever the other breaks. for safety reasons, i wouldn't remove the top spring. you may try to replace it. i have to look one around for myself.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:10 AM

right ... dealer also warned me abt it.. i always have that spring on my glove compartment for just in case .... i thing there is some material / design faulty on the pedal swivel mechanism and you can feel it if you push it using barefoot or hands.