M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Clicking grinding noise during slow turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2020 | 11:50 AM

2013 ML 350 Bluetec, 2016 GL 350 Bluetec
Clicking grinding noise during slow turn

Hello! Wondering if anyone here can help. I have a 2013 ML 350 Bluetec with 160k miles that I use for work, towing a 7 X 14 ft cargo trailer. About 80% of the miles were put on while towing. Been a great car! Sometime around last spring, I felt a very faint knocking only on a slow left turn and only when it was cold outside, and only for the first couple of minutes of driving. I didn't feel it in the steering wheel, but more in the floorboard. Dealership couldn't figure it out but said the engine mounts needed replaced and thought that was it. Replaced mounts and of course that wasn't it. They then thought replacing the left front axel shaft would solve it but wasn't sure. Not wanting to spend another 2k on a "this might fix it", I took it to a local german car mechanic thinking they would have more experience with high mile german cars. They found that the noise was too faint to diagnose but did determine that I needed a new break vacuum pump, rear rotors, pads, sensor, and discs. BTW, my brother is a diesel mechanic for ford trucks, he thought it sounded like the struts (he is not familiar with mercedes) but the mercedes mechanic said no.
Meanwhile, the knocking sound was getting worse so a couple of months later took it back. They found that both front and lower control arm bushings were cracked and that was making the noise so replaced all 3 differential bushings, and front and lower control arms.
Steering "felt" better but knocking still there.....And getting worse and now while turning both directions, only first few minutes of driving, and only when cold outside. Cold meaning under 50 degrees (this is TX cold). Took it back next month to same german car mechanic, and they found the Idler pulley was noisy so replaced that and replaced oil filter housing.
Noise still there- decided to look under the hood myself and saw that the intercooler inlet hose on the driver side was very loose so have that part on order to replace myself. Not sure why none of the previous 3 mechanics missed this...Wondering if anyone on here has any idea or experience with what could be causing this knocking sound. It is now very obvious, and louder when I have my trailer attached. Now the noise is at every slow turn going left or right, and does not go away when car warms up. And is there on a warmer day but much louder and more obvious on a cold day. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Either for us to DIY or to talk to a mechanic (another one) about where to look.
Old 02-09-2020 | 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by Sheas
Hello! Wondering if anyone here can help. I have a 2013 ML 350 Bluetec with 160k miles that I use for work, towing a 7 X 14 ft cargo trailer. About 80% of the miles were put on while towing. Been a great car! Sometime around last spring, I felt a very faint knocking only on a slow left turn and only when it was cold outside, and only for the first couple of minutes of driving. I didn't feel it in the steering wheel, but more in the floorboard. Dealership couldn't figure it out but said the engine mounts needed replaced and thought that was it. Replaced mounts and of course that wasn't it. They then thought replacing the left front axel shaft would solve it but wasn't sure. Not wanting to spend another 2k on a "this might fix it", I took it to a local german car mechanic thinking they would have more experience with high mile german cars. They found that the noise was too faint to diagnose but did determine that I needed a new break vacuum pump, rear rotors, pads, sensor, and discs. BTW, my brother is a diesel mechanic for ford trucks, he thought it sounded like the struts (he is not familiar with mercedes) but the mercedes mechanic said no.
Meanwhile, the knocking sound was getting worse so a couple of months later took it back. They found that both front and lower control arm bushings were cracked and that was making the noise so replaced all 3 differential bushings, and front and lower control arms.
Steering "felt" better but knocking still there.....And getting worse and now while turning both directions, only first few minutes of driving, and only when cold outside. Cold meaning under 50 degrees (this is TX cold). Took it back next month to same german car mechanic, and they found the Idler pulley was noisy so replaced that and replaced oil filter housing.
Noise still there- decided to look under the hood myself and saw that the intercooler inlet hose on the driver side was very loose so have that part on order to replace myself. Not sure why none of the previous 3 mechanics missed this...Wondering if anyone on here has any idea or experience with what could be causing this knocking sound. It is now very obvious, and louder when I have my trailer attached. Now the noise is at every slow turn going left or right, and does not go away when car warms up. And is there on a warmer day but much louder and more obvious on a cold day. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Either for us to DIY or to talk to a mechanic (another one) about where to look.
Welcome Sheas,

This is the w163 forum. You own a w166 ----------------> https://mbworld.org/forums/m-class-w166-149/

Mods,
Please move.
The following users liked this post:
Sheas (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020 | 10:08 PM

2013 ML 350 Bluetec, 2016 GL 350 Bluetec
Sorry, I thought I clicked the correct place. Posted on the w166. Would remove here but not sure how.