M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Faulty SRS/BAS dashboard light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 ML430
Unhappy Faulty SRS/BAS dashboard light

I am a new member to this board and would like to start off by saying "Hello". To start things off I want to let everyone know that I own a White 1999 ML430 (Production Date - 1998) with AMG exterior upgrades that I purchased in January with 35k. I must say that this is one nice vehicle, except for one problem that the dealer could not fix in 3 attempts. Let me explain my dilemma. After driving for approx. 20-30 minutes the ESP/BAS dashboard light illuminates which is followed by the Oil Light, Brake Light, Check Engine Light and the Orange Circular Light lights (the only light that does not light up is the SRS Light). Then the speedometer and tachometer guages started bouncing around and both went to "0" and remained there without moving as I continued driving. The Trip Computer blinked off and resets itself to zeros and the car lost power, "Limp Mode". After the car was parked for about 4 hours I started it back up and the lights were off. After driving again, for the same amount of time, the same symptoms occured. When I took the truck to the ME/BE dealer in Greenwich, CT they replaced the ECU and Transfer Case Control Unit. Corrected , I thought so. The same thing happened again but with no "limp mode". I took it back and they replaced the ME-SFI Control Unit and the Control Module-ESP (They noted that if the problem persists that the BAS/ESP Unit may need to be replaced). Corrected, I thought so once again but again the same problem. The dealer stated that they believe that the fault seems internal in one of the Control Units on the CAN network, intermittantly causing a short in the CAN. They replaced the CAN BUS Adapter Unit for the GPS NAV System. Finally corrected? Fat chance! The same symptoms occured again. I took the truck to the dealer today, 07MAy02, and told that I'm sick of their games and for them to get the job done right. I told them to change the ESP/BAS Unit and stop looking for short cuts. The service rep said that he thinks it's a faulty Instrument Cluster. At this point I have no clue of what to do or suggest. Please, I need HELP!!! I also noticed that while driving in the rain the truck started sliding around. I looked in the Manual and it said that the ESP is always active and will light up when in use, unless you manually turn it off yourself. I wondered why I haven't seen the ESP blink for the past 4 months. What can be the problem here? All assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Smokey