M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

xenon problem

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:33 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari,Bmw,Mercedes,Porsche
xenon problem

I updated my 99 to euro xenon. worked great until tonight. the pass. side failed to fire up. parking light ok. high beam ok. turn signal ok. just no xenon. what can be done to fix??
are there bulbs to replace? please help. thx
Old 08-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
I've seen some posts on this subject and one of the common problems are blown fuses. Some have upgraded fuse #44 and it seemed to solve the problem. The bulbs should last a long time...some say longer then the vehicle itself! If the fuse is fine check to make sure the wiring is o.k. and the bulb is in place.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:27 AM
Almost a Member!

thx. I did upgrade fuse when I installed light. I will have to take light out and check it all out again. If it is the light it self when does one get replacement bulb??
Old 08-14-2004, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a car that can't do the throttle reset.
ususally replacing bulbs is only needed when they break or fail... but they shouldnt ever blow out.
1. when you turn the hid on does it flicker at all... or is it completly dead?
2. what brand are you using?
3. who installed them?

new bulbs are easy to acquire but are pretty expensive... ranging from $100 to $200 depending on what brand.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:33 AM
Almost a Member!

1999 Kleemann ML43K
I shutter to think about having to replace the bulb

Originally Posted by ultracarnut
thx. I did upgrade fuse when I installed light. I will have to take light out and check it all out again. If it is the light it self when does one get replacement bulb??
as they run between $100 -$200 each. It's possible it's the bulb but when I had this happen to me the dealer told me it was some sort of electrical problem--I did not ask exactly what it was but it took the techs quite a while to solve the issue. I'm sorry I can't help you further...I wish you luck. Please post once you discover the problem!
Old 08-14-2004, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LOCHS 2
as they run between $100 -$200 each. It's possible it's the bulb but when I had this happen to me the dealer told me it was some sort of electrical problem--I did not ask exactly what it was but it took the techs quite a while to solve the issue. I'm sorry I can't help you further...I wish you luck. Please post once you discover the problem!
thats why i asked if they flicker.. alot can be determined by that.

as far as electrical goes... its common with hids. its an easy fix though if you know what you are looking for.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Almost a Member!

no flicker. the light jiggled alittle when I would go over a large bump or so. It seemed at the time when the lights were installed.(by me) that when they were turned on the passenger side ,R, would not come on right away. I would turn off then on the light switch and then it would fire up.. Now that happened only a few times after installing over a year ago. yesterday...dead. turn switch works...high beam works....parking light works....just no xenon....
so I will take out and switch light bulbs if possible.
if its the bulb or ballast where does one purchase such an animal.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
no flicker. the light jiggled alittle when I would go over a large bump or so. It seemed at the time when the lights were installed.(by me) that when they were turned on the passenger side ,R, would not come on right away. I would turn off then on the light switch and then it would fire up.. Now that happened only a few times after installing over a year ago. yesterday...dead. turn switch works...high beam works....parking light works....just no xenon....
so I will take out and switch light bulbs if possible.
if its the bulb or ballast where does one purchase such an animal.
Try to take the bulbs out of both sides and swap them (pay attention to which side is which, and DO NOT TOUCH THE GLASS). Make sure the lights are off too when you're doing this, or you may be in for quite a shock.

If the problem goes to the other side, then the bulb should be replaced. If the problem stays on one side, then check for loose wiring; or, the ballast may be bad. If you've got some time, then take out both lights, and swap ballasts... hmm, I don't remember if on those lights you can swap them. Well, if you can swap them, try that and see if the problem goes with the ballast.

-s-
Old 08-14-2004, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

follow Scorchies advice... but i am willing to bet you have a crack along where the bulb and the base meet.

what kind of bulb are you using? i can probably get you a replacement.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:30 AM
Almost a Member!

ok update time...I took out both lights,swaped ballast...both lights turned on ok when I switched on the lights at the steering consol. as soon as I turned off the lights and then switched them on a few seconds later...only the Drivers side came on! If I monkeyed with the right light alittle ...like move it towards me or so the light would come on....sometimes. So it seems a wiring problem. I did write down all the info. about the light. Its a Hella unit. Ill have to get the numbers later.
I went over all the wires very carefully and nothing seems to be loose. nuts.
It seems that when I unplug the light ...take off the ballast ...then reattach every thing and then switch on the light the light fires up. but when turned off and then on...nothing.
I just got back for the monterey concourse and laguna races ...wow . and the lights worked all the way back. as soon as the car was in the garage and lights turned off and then back on.....same problem. wife stood infront of car and said that when I flicked the light switch off and on and off and on in sequence the passenger light seemed to flicker lightly but just not fire up like the other. SO>>>>>
I just dont think its a bulb probem...or a ballast problem. Maybe its the light switch on the steering wheel colum.
Im zonked so Ill work on this tomorrow and I ll await all of you MBZ techs advice. thanks guys!
Old 09-18-2004, 02:41 AM
Almost a Member!

light still goes out only every so often will it flick on ...frustrating. I think i have rulled it to be a connection problem and not a bulb problem. somewhere with the male and female plugin. These are euro lights , normal projection but with no orange reflector for the turn signal. So it looks all clear. I love the lights and id be willing to just order another if I could just get the same kind of light.
any surgestions if the plug is an easy fix ....
thx
Old 09-18-2004, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

very easy fix. take it to a aftermarket shop... i had a bad connection also... fixed in literally 2 minutes, excluding time to remove lens.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:53 PM
Almost a Member!

Exclamation

so I removed light and found a metal box on the bottom of the bi-xenon light assembly. It has model number and perhaps serial numbers , part number I think. So I tap this and the light flickers.....AAAAHHHAAAA!! I have found the problem. So I took apart with a torek wrench and its a computer board .....not my fortea....so I cleaned the DIN plug and reattached. hoping this would help....NOT. So now my ml has a black eye until I fix this darn problem. WHERE CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT COMPUTER BOX , I assume a regualtor, that replaces the one on the light now. Called HELLA cusomer service....no responce. Iam about ready just to purchase one bixenon light just to replace my bad puter relay with the new one.
Id buy just one light however I have euro bixenon and the side marker is clear not orange.....matchs the silver and chrome on the truck.
SO any surgestions from you tech head there......do any of you have a resource to getting this part replaced or to purchase?
THX
Old 09-20-2004, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thats your ballast. dont mess with it. take it to an autoshop... they can make it work since the light is flickering...its just a bad connection.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:03 AM
Almost a Member!

what kind of autoshop...just any auto repair facility. I have my doubts that they will know what to do. mercedes benz dealer im sure wont touch it ...it didnot come with the truck.
Is this something I could just replace? thanks for you input.
Old 09-21-2004, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

what kind of autoshop...just any auto repair facility. I have my doubts that they will know what to do. mercedes benz dealer im sure wont touch it ...it didnot come with the truck.
Is this something I could just replace? thanks for you input.
no no no...like a aftermarket upgrade shop. it is a quick fix, just a bad connection. and yesyou can replace just the ballasts...depending on which brand you have it will be about 150 to 200 for a ballast.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Almost a Member!

ok I will go to such a shop and see if this can be fixed. thanks for your time and input.
Ill keep you posted......
Old 09-22-2004, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

no prob. good luck.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:49 AM
Almost a Member!

Have not made it to performance store however I did try to order from dealer...what a joke ...the part they ordered was incorrect. their clueless.
So i removed lights from truck and replaced with old halogen...yuck...
here is the part number on the 5inch by 4 inch thin metal box on the bottom of my light says....
I assume part number....
5dv008290-00
made in germany

these are european bixenon for a ML....
dealer told me those should not be in the car....really.....they have worked for over a year....up until now.....
Im trying hella but if anyone has a connection to get this part or if more pictures are needed let me know.
Pic is of the box that I feel is bad....
this plugs into a DIN plug on the bottom. I opened this up and its a computer silicone chip thing....nothing was loose so I reattached to female DIN on light and hoped it would work...no such luck
Attached Thumbnails xenon problem-hella-xenon.jpg  

Last edited by ultracarnut; 09-24-2004 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that "box" is your ballast. maker? hella? philips?
Old 09-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Almost a Member!

This unit is DIN plug in all the wires are already attached to the inside of the female plug in ...in the lamp. finding this unit is becoming a bear. Ive contacted hella to see if they can help.
Ive attached a few more pics. One had the MBZ model # and someother info.
Attached Thumbnails xenon problem-bixenon-6.jpg   xenon problem-bixenon-3.jpg   xenon problem-bixenon-2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Hella said this is a generation 4 ballast. They dont have a part number for the US mkt.
called MBZ...they need a part number and have no clue since everything is part number oriented. Of coarse they are making a slight stink that this lamp was added aftermarket ....so what....its a mercedes part. frustating....so now I must located a german dealership / part source.
anyone have an idea...
Old 09-24-2004, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

your best bet is to replace both ballasts and bulbs and be done with it.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:30 AM
Almost a Member!

well I would if I could get the ballast. but the things european.
Old 09-25-2004, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well I would if I could get the ballast. but the things european.
you dont need to the same exact ballast. first, i really think you should try a aftermarket shop...its an easy fix. to replace... hella ballasts are readily available... which are german. ballasts do not determine color...bulbs do. so they do not necessarily have to be the same company ballast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: xenon problem