M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

Fixed Glass smear- Anybody know a tool to remove panel clips without breaking them?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML 320 MY2000, C320WZ MY2004.5
Fixed Glass smear- Anybody know a tool to remove panel clips without breaking them?

Hi everyone!

I just fixed the annoying glue glass smearing problem on my 2000 ML320.

For those who don't know: There is a dampening material glued to the inside of the door sheet metal to deaden the tin can sound when closing the door. It also gives the impression that the sheet metal is thicker than most non-MB cars. Overtime this glued material separates from the sheet metal due to heat and comes in contact with the glass as you operate them up/down. I believe this is a common problem to older models such as mine.

2 doors have been fixed. 1st was done by the dealer but 2nd was by me since it was already out of warranty. I have the materials for the other doors and will do them as problem arise. However, the clips (or pins) of the door panels are really difficult to remove once they're into the door frame. Chances are you'll break them as you pull the door panel. I didn't break any, but they're really stuck to the frame. It looks like I'll have to break them off and install new ones. BUT, maybe someone here knows of a special tool (maybe available from the dealer) that could remove them with less damage so they can be re-used. The stealer in my area charged $1.50 for each (x 8 or 10 per door - so cost could get up there if you have to fix something else in the future).

Going back to my question: Is there someone here who knows of a special tool that could remove the panel clips/pins with less damage?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:41 AM

Depends on year model. Is it a 98-2000 all one peice, if so their is a clip puller you can buy at the zone or any other parts store and just pull the clip out. If it is a later model with the two peice clip design then you leave the female side in the door and pull the male side out with the same kind of clip puller and clip it in the door panel, then you can reinstall it. Ask when you go to the parts store and they will help you. Autogunner.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:41 PM

ML 320 MY2000, C320WZ MY2004.5
Thanks, I found it!!!

Gunrunner,

Thanks for the tip. I found the tool at my local Pep Boys store. It's made by Lisle, part number 35400 door upholstery remover. It looks like a bent screwdriver whose end has 2 prongs to insert snugly to the clips. The bent portion gives you leverage when prying the clip - no sweat.

FYI, for my model year 2000 ML320, the clip is a male/female combination --looks like one piece when buying at the stealer. However, once installed, the female part attaches itself to the door. The male part is what comes out when you use the remover as discussed above.

I thought I didn't break any clip, but I did chip part of the head of the 1 male which is where you insert the remover/tool. If you happen to completely break the head part of the male, then the remover will have nothing to hold on to. So you have to completely remove the whole clip (including the female part) from the inside of the door frame. Lucky for me the head wasn't completely broken and even luckier because when I pried it, the female part also came with it.

At least I've accomplished something this weekend.