M-Class (W163) Produced 1998-2005: ML 230, ML 320, ML 350, ML 400 CDI, ML 430, ML 500, ML 270 CDI

2001 ML55 - Wet passenger floor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 03:50 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
1998 C43 AMG, 2001 ML55 AMG, 2001 E55 AMG, 1999 E430
Unhappy 2001 ML55 - Wet passenger floor

Hi All-

Recently acquired a 2001 ML55 with 107k mi. Overall in decent shape, but had a front-end accident (no air bags) last year and the front bumper was replaced. It rained the first weekend of my ownership, and i noticed that the floor mat on the front passenger side was soaking wet after. I removed the bottom of the passenger dash and can see water running along right side lower pillar/inside of the fender, but i have no idea where this is stemming from? (i'll post pictures when I have a chance) Anyone know if this is a clogged A-Pillar drain or do you think its a result of the front-end collision? Shop quote to fix was well over $1k, as they expected at least 5 hours of labor just to locate the source. Would really like to avoid that especially if its just likely a clogged drain.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 08-11-2020, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by JK_AMG
Hi All-

Recently acquired a 2001 ML55 with 107k mi. Overall in decent shape, but had a front-end accident (no air bags) last year and the front bumper was replaced. It rained the first weekend of my ownership, and i noticed that the floor mat on the front passenger side was soaking wet after. I removed the bottom of the passenger dash and can see water running along right side lower pillar/inside of the fender, but i have no idea where this is stemming from? (i'll post pictures when I have a chance) Anyone know if this is a clogged A-Pillar drain or do you think its a result of the front-end collision? Shop quote to fix was well over $1k, as they expected at least 5 hours of labor just to locate the source. Would really like to avoid that especially if its just likely a clogged drain.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Attributable from the front end ps collision?
It's possible. Most likely the sunroof drain hose - that runs down the A-pillar and down into the ps side kick panel (where your secondary fusebox is located) - has disconnected either at the top end just by the sunroof drain hole or down at the elbow connection just above the fuse box.
You need to attend to this pronto and pull up the carpet and soak up, dry up all the water and moisture. Then check the connectors and any of the electrical down and around there (use crc electrical contact cleaner or similar) to cleanup the moisture in the electrical. Otherwise, you' re going to get a plethora of electrical issues, error codes, etc.
Search the forum(s) here and on BW - plenty of threads discussing this "water in footwell" problem.
Old 07-02-2022, 11:23 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2019 e 450
Recently I was cleaning up and found the repair receipt . A lot more was done than I thought.They removed both seats, roof liner, carpets, both front ends. They found leak from sunroof, fixed it, rechecked and it was clogged still. Under the front seat was corrosion. I'm trading it in on a macan